Chest suggestions

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

Chest suggestions

Im looking for chest adivce i get my chest sore but i want to make them hurt the next days not just sore, right now im doing chest 5x5 of usually 205 right now go up to 215 if the last set is too easy, then i do dumbell bench press with 75s 3x10 then a chest fly machine because dumbell chest flys tends to make my right shoulder hurt then i finish with usually a burn out on a bench machine doing usually 3x5 of negative resistance ( holding for as long as possible)

Then for triceps i do tricep extensions 3x10 , tricep kick backs 3x10, skull crushers 3x10 then usually a machine tricep pull down 3x failure

looking for susgestions for tricep and chest work outs thatnks !!

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.02%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

what difference does the soreness have to do with hypertrophy?
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Just because you're sore doesn't mean it's a good workout. I'll do the same movements without change for a few sessions, won't be sore, yet they still grow and gain strength. The DOMS can be just from your muscles being provided a different stimulus..or lack of recovery.

I saw your other post, asking for general advice. If you don't mind me saying...a 5x5, 5/3/1, Upper/Lower split, some type or proven program, would be beneficial for your goals.

That being said:
    Flat DB Bench, Incline DB bench, Weighted Dips, DB Floor press, ring push-ups...honestly any chest movement...vary your reps and intensity

Tris-Tate press, JM press, rolling tricep extensions, close grip, incline close grip, dips
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.5%

i just feel as if i havnt done an effective work out if the next couple days after im not that sore...
  5. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

http://www.myosynthesis.com/articles...uscle-soreness

Like I said, some days I'm not sore, yet I still get bigger and stronger. Other times when I provide myself with a different stimulus (different exercise/varying intensities/volume) I'll get DOMS. It doesn't mean it was a better workout than the last
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.93%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Got to love when people think the only way it is a good workout is if they are sore.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.79%

Find a Muy Thai fighter and have em kick you in the chest. ... On a more serious note you could try some finishing exercises or using longer pause at the bottom of the movement with slow eccentric phase. The more pain does not equal more gain argument is still in play. If all you want is more pain you can make that happen. Are you training for strength, mass, or to get ripped? Different strategies for different goals.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Got to love when people think the only way it is a good workout is if they are sore.
    its the reason most trainers make their money. they beat the f*ck out of people and the people think they had a great workout. its one reason why i got out of the industry.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.5%

Do double of everything.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.52%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Forget DOMS being the prerequisite to a good workout and just focus on progression. Progression is the key.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.6%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Forget DOMS being the prerequisite to a good workout and just focus on progression. Progression is the key.
    DOMS is overrated. You hit the nail on the head my man. Progression. Progress (intensity/rep increases) in your workouts and you will see gains
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.97%

In all fairness, if I'm truly expressing "progression", whether it be increased weights, increased reps or shorter rest periods - I always experience some level of DOMS with it. Granted, it is rarely severe after getting into a routine. Usually, DOMS is worst when I try something new or have a "one-off" training session.

End of the day, you need to tear the muscle with overload techniques. Not every set, per say but at least once per exercise you need to experience failure in the set to experience productive muscular breakdown. Keeping track of when, where and how much weight was applied to this event is paramount if you really want to track success in your routine.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.17%

I always get more sore from DB workouts than from BB workouts. Do a few sets of 125 DB presses focusing on bringing the weights back down rrreeeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyy slowly and I promise you some soreness for a couple days afterwards. And don't forget weighted dips which are great for chest and triceps.
    Abs on a skinny dude are like tits on a fat chick....it doesn't count.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.52%

Hit chest from all angles. From what I see in your routine, the volume is way too low. I recommend incline dumbbell press, dips, and dumbbell pullovers to be worthwhile additions to your routine. Hope this helps.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65%

More volume. Much . Much more volume . Your sets should mirror this :

Incline bench
    Decline flys
    Flat dumbbell bench
    Incline flys
    Decline bench press
    Flat Bench negatives
    Dips
    Push ups
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.65%

Does muscle soreness = hypertrophy? If not what does?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.37%

Like everyone said, soreness doesn't equal improvement.

If you are trying to add size but keep doing the same weight and reps every workout,, that's part for the problem.

Progression is key.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.65%

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wayne View Post
    Like everyone said, soreness doesn't equal improvement. If you are trying to add size but keep doing the same weight and reps every workout,, that's part for the problem. Progression is key.
    I just get a weight i can get 6 or 7 but not 8, once i hit 8 i up the weight. Not alot but just to were im only getting 6 or 7 again.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.65%

Iv Seen a guy destroy his peck trying to do to much weight, so id say no soreness isn't always good.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.18%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by python93 View Post
    Does muscle soreness = hypertrophy? If not what does?
    Progressive overload + caloric surplus= hypertrophy. Really once your body's adapted to the movements if you're taking steps towards proper recovery doms should be almost a non issue
    The Swole Stoner
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Jrhoffman933 View Post
    Im looking for chest adivce i get my chest sore but i want to make them hurt the next days not just sore, right now im doing chest 5x5 of usually 205 right now go up to 215 if the last set is too easy, then i do dumbell bench press with 75s 3x10 then a chest fly machine because dumbell chest flys tends to make my right shoulder hurt then i finish with usually a burn out on a bench machine doing usually 3x5 of negative resistance ( holding for as long as possible)

Then for triceps i do tricep extensions 3x10 , tricep kick backs 3x10, skull crushers 3x10 then usually a machine tricep pull down 3x failure

looking for susgestions for tricep and chest work outs thatnks !!
    Try hitting flys first to pre-exhaust the pecs then do into flat/incline/decline barbell bench.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%

As said, DOMS and hypertrophy are not directly correlated. It's all about volume and intensity. Think of it this way, have you have ever seen a really skinny guy pushing a weight for 6+ reps that you'd think no way in hell would be able to lift? No.
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
    As said, DOMS and hypertrophy are not directly correlated. It's all about volume and intensity. Think of it this way, have you have ever seen a really skinny guy pushing a weight for 6+ reps that you'd think no way in hell would be able to lift? No.
    I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit.

Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit
    I can't say I have, and given the strong crossover with strength and hypertrophy, I can't believe it's a common sight.
  25. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.97%

I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit.

Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.
    Believable. I can bang out 315 X 15 reps and I only weigh 175lbs...give me another year and I'll be able to get that same weight 25 reps or more. And I've never done a single strength program.

But 455 X 24 is world class liftin'.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

I can't say I have, and given the strong crossover with strength and hypertrophy, I can't believe it's a common sight.
    Actually it's quite common for strength athletes. I squat more than several guys I know who are trained and larger than I am. I also know guys that are smaller than me, and lift way more.

Would a 165lb guy deadlifting 560x6 seem normal to you? Nope. But I've seen it.

All I'm trying to get at, is just because you're big, doesn't mean you're strong. You have the potential to be stronger.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

Quote Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Believable. I can bang out 315 X 15 reps and I only weigh 175lbs...give me another year and I'll be able to get that same weight 25 reps or more. And I've never done a single strength program. But 455 X 24 is world class liftin'.
    455x8 is my high rep PR lol

The guy that did the 455x24 was from a parallel box...but yeah..he's an elite lifter lol
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  28. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.97%

Actually it's quite common for strength athletes. I squat more than several guys I know who are trained and larger than I am. I also know guys that are smaller than me, and lift way more.

Would a 165lb guy deadlifting 560x6 seem normal to you? Nope. But I've seen it.

All I'm trying to get at, is just because you're big, doesn't mean you're strong. You have the potential to be stronger.
    That is 100% correct and I dont see why that statement wouldnt satisfy this argument.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%

I think I'm being misunderstood... I'm not saying it's a linear thing and the bigger you are the more you can lift... just that at the bottom end of the scale it's not all that common, and 9 out 10 people if eating and lifting right, focusing on volume and intensity, they WILL put on muscle. Everyone is different of course, genetics etc. I'm just speaking to the principle of muscle building.
  30. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%

I think I'm being misunderstood... I'm not saying it's a linear thing and the bigger you are the more you can lift... just that at the bottom end of the scale it's not all that common, and 9 out 10 people if eating and lifting right, focusing on volume and intensity, they WILL put on muscle. Everyone is different of course, genetics etc. I'm just speaking to the principle of muscle building.
    Okay. I thought you were saying that the little guy can't be stronger than the big guy.

Understood
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%

Okay. I thought you were saying that the little guy can't be stronger than the big guy.

Understood
    Hell no lol. I'm not a big guy and I can lift more than guys bigger than me in my gym, so I know that isn't the case.
  32. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

I'm not sure I understand the last part. I've seen it quite a bit. Edit: I've seen a guy squat 455x24 at a bodyweight of less than 185.
    Lol I've seen stuff like this too and it truly amazes me. Kid at my gym must have been 135 benching 225 for 8 on incline bench but he was skinny as a rail with very little muscle mass
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  172 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Lol I've seen stuff like this too and it truly amazes me. Kid at my gym must have been 135 benching 225 for 8 on incline bench but he was skinny as a rail with very little muscle mass
    I know what you mean, it's not impossible... again though, I wasn't say it was, just that generally speaking, as per the OP's original post, and speaking towards muscle building principles, if someone is eating to calorie excess and lifting right, they will put on muscle... DOMS has nothing to do with it.
  34. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

I know what you mean, it's not impossible... again though, I wasn't say it was, just that generally speaking, as per the OP's original post, and speaking towards muscle building principles, if someone is eating to calorie excess and lifting right, they will put on muscle... DOMS has nothing to do with it.
    Any idea as to why someone so small might be able to lift so much?
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.18%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Neurological adaptation, and possibly greater muscle density than your avg lifter
    The Swole Stoner

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help! Suggest something for my outer chest, please.
    By DGA3 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM
  2. suggestions for a chest/tri day?
    By allstar504448 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM
  3. Golds Gym Training Suggestions...Interesting
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 11:41 AM
  4. Lagging Chest.. suggestions?