Night shift nutrition

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Just wondering if anyone out there had any information re night shift nutrition. The way I do it no is simply eat what I do for day shift but it always leaves me feeling overly full, bloated and just feeling quite ordinary. My question Is should I eat differently on night shift as opposed to day shift? Any why??

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just wondering if anyone out there had any information re night shift nutrition. The way I do it no is simply eat what I do for day shift but it always leaves me feeling overly full, bloated and just feeling quite ordinary. My question Is should I eat differently on night shift as opposed to day shift? Any why??
Here's my question; what do you eat on day shift? Here's my take from a former night shift guy.

During the day I typically eat a lot of red meat, rice & sweet potatoes. My meals would be considered "heavy"

When I worked nights, I really had to keep it light. Regardless of whether I was rested or not, my body KNEW that was sleepy time, and if I had a heavy meal I was immediately tired.

I did a lot (a LOT) of grilled chicken on big mixed green salads, casein shakes with almonds, or string cheese sticks.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should be sleeping at night. Working at night completely destroys your circadian rhythm.
But instead he's working, supporting himself and possibly a family.

Irrelevant post is irrelevant.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Here's my question; what do you eat on day shift? Here's my take from a former night shift guy.

During the day I typically eat a lot of red meat, rice & sweet potatoes. My meals would be considered "heavy"

When I worked nights, I really had to keep it light. Regardless of whether I was rested or not, my body KNEW that was sleepy time, and if I had a heavy meal I was immediately tired.

I did a lot (a LOT) of grilled chicken on big mixed green salads, casein shakes with almonds, or string cheese sticks.
Yeah i eat plenty of red meat, chicken breast, sweet potato etc etc so what I've been doing it just having the same on night shift but other than the reasons above it just really hard to eat chicken breast at 4am lol.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But instead he's working, supporting himself and possibly a family.

Irrelevant post is irrelevant.

You make a good point, however if there is a chance he can switch to days that would be ideal. I agree, you do what you have to to survive and pay the bills. I wouldn't say my post was irrelevant though.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah i eat plenty of red meat, chicken breast, sweet potato etc etc so what I've been doing it just having the same on night shift but other than the reasons above it just really hard to eat chicken breast at 4am lol.
I totally understand. If you're not adverse to dairy, try some cottage cheese or maybe a Quest bar.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work a job where I'm up all day, then possibly screwed out of a full nights sleep, and my sleep schedule can get all jacked up. Just eat how you normally would. Pack some pre-made meals, something quick and easy & always appetizing-whatever fits the bill for you. I'd run night shifts as well and catch sleep beforehand, and ate how I normally would.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
You make a good point, however if there is a chance he can switch to days that would be ideal. I agree, you do what you have to to survive and pay the bills. I wouldn't say my post was irrelevant though.
Yes that would be ideal but not really an option as my role is a 24-7 job. Coverage has to be supplied on a 24 hour basis.
I totally understand. If you're not adverse to dairy, try some cottage cheese or maybe a Quest bar.
I will definitely look into this thanks man. I dont have any issues with dairy whatsoever :) you have any ideas on what's quite light yet heavy in calories? Bulking at the moment lol :p

I work a job where I'm up all day, then possibly screwed out of a full nights sleep, and my sleep schedule can get all jacked up. Just eat how you normally would. Pack some pre-made meals.
Looks like ill keep doing what im doing :) I pre prepare all my food whether I'm at work or on days off.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to boil up rice and then throw in a pound or so of ground turkey, chopped up peppers and onions, cilantro, and random spices and dump it into a big tubaware bowl and spoon eat it over a few hours. Chopped up sweet potatoes mixed with beans and whatever meat is laying around packs up easily as well.

Light and has calories.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I used to boil up rice and then throw in a pound or so of ground turkey, chopped up peppers and onions, cilantro, and random spices and dump it into a big tubaware bowl and spoon eat it over a few hours. Chopped up sweet potatoes mixed with beans and whatever meat is laying around packs up easily as well.

Light and has calories.
That's actually sounds not too bad! Might give that a shot next round of nights. Thanks man.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Milk! If you're bulking and have no aversion to dairy, start putting down milk.

I've thrown cottage cheese & boiled eggs on a big ass salad too. Throw on some bacon, and you've got yourself a meal.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Milk! If you're bulking and have no aversion to dairy, start putting down milk.

I've thrown cottage cheese & boiled eggs on a big ass salad too. Throw on some bacon, and you've got yourself a meal.
Haha this reminds me of when I tried the GOMAD diet. Damn that was not fun lol. Yeah I guess I could make a salad or some thing and add calories by olive oil and eggs :)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I've worked night shift for over a year now. What i've noticed is that i don't really have what you would call breakfast anymore. I work 11pm till 8am for 5 nights on 2 off. When i wake up before work i'll have chicken/sweet potatoes etc, i'll eat on my breaks at 00:00, 02:30, 04,30 and when i finish at 8am i'll go home and have steak or something lol.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I've worked night shift for over a year now. What i've noticed is that i don't really have what you would call breakfast anymore. I work 11pm till 8am for 5 nights on 2 off. When i wake up before work i'll have chicken/sweet potatoes etc, i'll eat on my breaks at 00:00, 02:30, 04,30 and when i finish at 8am i'll go home and have steak or something lol.
Well technically you do have breakfast but its at night time before work lol. I eat a ****load on night shift but I find it quite difficult to get down my required bulking calories on night shift opposed to day shift. Steak at 0730 FTW lol!

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Well technically you do have breakfast but its at night time before work lol. I eat a ****load on night shift but I find it quite difficult to get down my required bulking calories on night shift opposed to day shift. Steak at 0730 FTW lol!
If im working near the night or early morning I'd have to time it just right so when Im about to lift I'm not bloated, but yeah I would eat what I normally would and taper it down slightly probably, unless I'm lifting later in the morning or sometime during the day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Weight Loss 6
-MVP- Weight Loss 0
Training Forum 6
Nutrition / Health 4
mindgame Get Diesel Nutrition 1