2 Weeks in and My Thoughts

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I'm only 2 weeks in to my bulk and it seems like I've either gained weight too quickly or that I'm holding insane amounts of water for some reason. Yeah, I've noticed more energy and strength in the gym, but in my day to day life I feel like I'm dragging and always worried about eating enough. I'm only eating 26-2800 cals a day, but when I started I was at 144 and only 2 weeks in I'm at 154. Not sure why, and I haven't had any increase in size (it's only been 2 weeks).

Honestly trying to decide if bulking is the right thing for me, I know to get bigger you have to eat more, but to me it becomes an unwelcome necessity. Tired of being small (145 with 13.5" arms and 41" chest) but then I don't want to lose all the progress I had to get as lean as I was.

Just trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong and what I can do to fix it. Anything is welcome.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I'm also considering adding in some cardio 3 days a week. Not sure, still trying to decide what I should keep doing.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dude...it's been two weeks. That's merely a drop in the bucket and the best advice I could give you is to just be consistent and stop weighing yourself.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Dude...it's been two weeks. That's merely a drop in the bucket and the best advice I could give you is to just be consistent and stop weighing yourself.
That is true...it's just a huge, huge mental thing for me. It's difficult for me to explain, I'm not quite sure what it is or why. I honestly just weigh out of habit, no other reason really. But it does bother me at times I guess. I'm just trying to stay at my calorie level and keep pushing myself in the gym.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm only 2 weeks in to my bulk and it seems like I've either gained weight too quickly or that I'm holding insane amounts of water for some reason. Yeah, I've noticed more energy and strength in the gym, but in my day to day life I feel like I'm dragging and always worried about eating enough. I'm only eating 26-2800 cals a day, but when I started I was at 144 and only 2 weeks in I'm at 154. Not sure why, and I haven't had any increase in size (it's only been 2 weeks).

Honestly trying to decide if bulking is the right thing for me, I know to get bigger you have to eat more, but to me it becomes an unwelcome necessity. Tired of being small (145 with 13.5" arms and 41" chest) but then I don't want to lose all the progress I had to get as lean as I was.

Just trying to figure out what I may be doing wrong and what I can do to fix it. Anything is welcome.
How tall are you? We weigh about the same, im 150lb now. Just lifted my kcals to 2600, was at 2300 to recomp. Give it time, 10lbs is a serious amount in 14 days. Some of the intial weight gain is water retention, itll wash out eventually.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
How tall are you? We weigh about the same, im 150lb now. Just lifted my kcals to 2600, was at 2300 to recomp. Give it time, 10lbs is a serious amount in 14 days. Some of the intial weight gain is water retention, itll wash out eventually.
I'm only 5'6"....rather short, lol. So I may need to lower my cals just a bit if you were doing 2300 for recomp. And yeah, water weight + creatine + increased carb intake, hoping it'll wash out pretty soon. Just trying to figure out why I'm holding that much and why it's been 10 pounds in about 14 days, unless at the end of my cut I was running my body really low.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm only 5'6"....rather short, lol. So I may need to lower my cals just a bit if you were doing 2300 for recomp. And yeah, water weight + creatine + increased carb intake, hoping it'll wash out pretty soon. Just trying to figure out why I'm holding that much and why it's been 10 pounds in about 14 days, unless at the end of my cut I was running my body really low.
Were essentially the same then lol im 5'6" too lol stay at the 2600, and have a higher calorie expenditure..

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Were essentially the same then lol im 5'6" too lol stay at the 2600, and have a higher calorie expenditure..
Nice! Short people FTW. Right now, I don't do hardly anything besides go to the gym, honestly. So I really may need to bump it down to 2400 or just find something to do. I know that I'll be driving 12 hours this Saturday moving back to Arkansas, then I have to find a new gym.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take Rodja's advice. We mentioned it before in your log. Stop weighing yourself. Stop counting macros even! Just eat! The only thing that should matter, is the mirror. Yes you're gonna have water in you. I got off work the other day and weighed 208. Two hours later I was 214

Unless you HAVE to weigh a certain weight for something, the scale is useless

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Take Rodja's advice. We mentioned it before in your log. Stop weighing yourself. Stop counting macros even! Just eat! The only thing that should matter, is the mirror. Yes you're gonna have water in you. I got off work the other day and weighed 208. Two hours later I was 214

Like I've said, I'm just going to have to mentally readjust I guess. I know that I want and need to get bigger, but there's a mental block or something that keeps fighting it for some reason. Not sure what it is. But, if I just ate till I was full I'd only be eating maybe 2000 calories a day, at most. So I have to force myself to eat "enough." I'm just going to keep trying for another 4 or 6 weeks and see if I start to notice any good changes. Maybe my body is just having to adjust to eating more.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like I've said, I'm just going to have to mentally readjust I guess. I know that I want and need to get bigger, but there's a mental block or something that keeps fighting it for some reason. Not sure what it is. But, if I just ate till I was full I'd only be eating maybe 2000 calories a day, at most. So I have to force myself to eat "enough." I'm just going to keep trying for another 4 or 6 weeks and see if I start to notice any good changes. Maybe my body is just having to adjust to eating more.
I think it's mental and possibly your OCD. You're lean now. People strive for that. Now you're sacrificing a slight bit of it. You honestly just have to get over it and accept it. Seriously, the scale does you NO good. It's so easy to manipulate body weight. The mirror is what counts in your case. Maybe look up other methods of 'dieting' if stuffing your face doesn't ease your mind. You started strong and motivated, researched your training, calculated your diet. But at some point you're gonna have to just drop it..and do it.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But at some point you're gonna have to just drop it..and do it.
This. Im aiming for 170, and i KNOW im going to accumulate fat along the way. But, im also buckling down for a show late may.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I think it's mental and possibly your OCD. You're lean now. People strive for that. Now you're sacrificing a slight bit of it. You honestly just have to get over it and accept it. Seriously, the scale does you NO good. It's so easy to manipulate body weight. The mirror is what counts in your case. Maybe look up other methods of 'dieting' if stuffing your face doesn't ease your mind. You started strong and motivated, researched your training, calculated your diet. But at some point you're gonna have to just drop it..and do it.
That'a definitely what it is...and if I got my prescription refilled and actually took my meds I think that would help...since I haven't taken them in about a week cause I ran out. Whoops.

I'm staying steady though, still ate my 2600 today and met all my macros along with a hard workout. Also got told that I'm looking more solid and healthier today, so that was a huge boost.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
This. Im aiming for 170, and i KNOW im going to accumulate fat along the way. But, im also buckling down for a show late may.
If I can get to 170 or 175 I'll be happy, if I can get to 180 and then cut down to 8%, I'd be even more happy. I'm just going to have to buckle down and get to it. Hardest part for me.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I could not have said this any better. I don't even own a scale. You want to be bigger or you would not be bulking right? Eat as clean as you can but eat until what you see in the mirror pushes the right buttons for you. I could not give a damn how much weight it says on the scale as long as the mirror gives me what I want.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I could not have said this any better. I don't even own a scale. You want to be bigger or you would not be bulking right? Eat as clean as you can but eat until what you see in the mirror pushes the right buttons for you. I could not give a damn how much weight it says on the scale as long as the mirror gives me what I want.
Yeah, I want and feel like I need to get bigger. 150 at 5'6" is pretty small for me. May just be how my mind sees my body. They say you never see your true self (from a psychology standpoint, but that's a different topic). Anyway, honestly, what I see in the mirror right now is giving me a load of mixed emotions. My back, legs, shoulders, traps and chest look bigger and broader but my arms still look small and my neck does as well. Guess it'll just take time and consistency like everyone has been saying. I probably should get rid of my scale or take out the batteries, lol.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I want and feel like I need to get bigger. 150 at 5'6" is pretty small for me. May just be how my mind sees my body. They say you never see your true self (from a psychology standpoint, but that's a different topic). Anyway, honestly, what I see in the mirror right now is giving me a load of mixed emotions. My back, legs, shoulders, traps and chest look bigger and broader but my arms still look small and my neck does as well. Guess it'll just take time and consistency like everyone has been saying. I probably should get rid of my scale or take out the batteries, lol.
Your quip at the end hits it right on the head.
Whether you are bulking or not--the scale is not helping you in any way.
Indeed, as was pointed out numerous times above, scale weight is entirely meaningless.
Go by feel and keep pushing towards your goals.
The "mixed emotions" you are getting from the mirror are disturbing and might be something to look into with a professional, but, barring that, keep your end goals in mind.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Your quip at the end hits it right on the head.
Whether you are bulking or not--the scale is not helping you in any way.
Indeed, as was pointed out numerous times above, scale weight is entirely meaningless.
Go by feel and keep pushing towards your goals.
The "mixed emotions" you are getting from the mirror are disturbing and might be something to look into with a professional, but, barring that, keep your end goals in mind.
Yeah, I actually did fight the urge to weigh in this morning. So that's a step in the right direction. As far as looking into it with a profession concerning the emotions and what not, I'm already on Pamelor for anxiety/depression, so that's covered.

But I am trying to keep my mind focused on my final goal.