"Off day" eating.

Heavyappetite

Heavyappetite

Awards
After doing legs last night and today being my off day, would it make sense to lower carbs because im not working out or play it like a normal day?

H.A

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
keep your intake the same, you recover when you are resting ya know

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
^^ agreed. I tend to consume more on "off" days....

Aussteve

Awards
I agree with all the other answers! You grow on yor off days so why wouldn't you eat accordingly!? Like hvactech said I too eat more on my off days! For me my pre/post Wrkout meals + training itself tend to keep my calories down for that 3 Hr period, then next meal is eat up back on the solid/real food!

If your on a cut then I like to approach my calories as fuel for training rather than fuel for growth as o do when bulking!? Make sense? :)

rockme

rockme

Awards
I never undrstood why one would reduce kcals on an off day. I tend to increase them, as I view it as an opportunity to get some growth. But I guess everyone's diffeent

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I guess it depends in your goals at the time, I tend to do build and burn days, going For a recomp. Eat at a caloric surplus on training days then Maintenance on off days. If I was straight bulking tho I'd be eating the same on on and off days.

rockme

rockme

Awards
I often eat less on training days, simply due to time constraints with work, training, cardio, running errands etc. so off days at the moment I try to shovel in the cals, especially since I'm still bulking :)

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I often eat less on training days, simply due to time constraints with work, training, cardio, running errands etc. so off days at the moment I try to shovel in the cals, especially since I'm still bulking :)
you just said you increase cals, now your saying you reduce?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
lololol

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Let me break it down REAL slow for you:

Rockme said he increases cals on off days, but often finds himself under eating on work days simply due to time constraints.
ya I got that, but there shouldn't be any reason you cant eat more unless you are in a location with no food sources.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Looks like you will need 2 take that up with him

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
idk why you are trying to start an argument, cause im not in the mood for it.
Whoa
No argument intended- I was just truly mystified by how rockme's posts were confusing to you.
To my eye, he is being completely consistent in how he structures his on and off day eating-just trying to point that out.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
Whoa
No argument intended- I was just truly mystified by how rockme's posts were confusing to you.
To my eye, he is being completely consistent in how he structures his on and off day eating-just trying to point that out.
sounds good

JoeRich

Awards
don't be afraid to lower on off days

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards

raineriyliaho

Awards
I eat sometimes more in my off days, haha :dance:

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
After doing legs last night and today being my off day, would it make sense to lower carbs because im not working out or play it like a normal day?

H.A
Youre intake should never change.

Even in contest prep I keep the diet the same all the way until 4 weeks out in which I drop shakes (lactose intolerant) & "sugar free" additives.

I replace the same calories with whole foods and that stays the same until the day of the contest.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Keep it normal. The only issue I have found some people get into is since they are not training they dont know if they should consume their pre/post workout meals. Depending on the person it can go either way. I find when I dont train I am not as hungry most of the time so I leave it out or make some sort of a protein carb loaded dessert. Recently it has been protein ice cream using Mass gainz because of how thick it makes it.