MACROS

Gw44

Gw44

Awards
I am looking to add some lean mass. I need help finding my macros and need some opinions on it. 6'2, 185, and 8-11% body fat. Workout 5 days a week. Cardio twice a week. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
You're going to need to find your resting metabolic weight and factor in height, age, and physical activity. Look up "finding RMR", it should be on bodybuilding .com in a forum somewhere is where I found it. Get a calculator and a pen too. When you find your RMR, you add 500 calories to it to gain 1-2 lbs a week, which should be plenty if you're looking for "lean" mass. I suggest doing 40% carbs 40%protein and 20% fats. Again, it's hard to gain a ton of muscle without fat.. If you look at any bodybuilder or most physique models, they go through bulking phases and most likely they will add some body fat.. But you always have time to cut that off and it will look a lot better when you have some muscle to deal with too! Eat 6-8 meals a day, keep complex carbs early in the morning, just protein at night. Get some weight gainer protein, that'll help you meet your calorie intake. Limit cardio to twice a week and don't kill yourself, do low-heart rate. Lift heavy, eat a ton, and rest.

Hope this helps!

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
^no don't use percentages. find TDEE and eat 10-20% calorie surplus. Fats-.4-1g per pound BW protein-1g per lb BW. fill the remainder of your calories in with a combination of carbs/fats/proteins as you please

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^no don't use percentages. find TDEE and eat 10-20% calorie surplus. Fats-.4-1g per pound BW protein-1g per lb BW. fill the remainder of your calories in with a combination of carbs/fats/proteins as you please
I don't agree with this at all but to reach their own :)

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the breakdown but the timing of the macros seems to be up in the air. Which is not something I agree with.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bulking with high fats isn't a good idea. Bulking with fats equal to protein isn't a good idea either. 1.5 g protein minimum is standard protocol on most bulking routines. Also about 1.5 g carbs. But this all had to do with food sensitivity. Higher carbs on workout days with lower fats. Moderate carbs and moderate fats on non training days. Even your own formula above breaks down to percentages in the long run.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
These are just my opinions mind you. Not saying you are wrong just saying I don't agree :)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bulking with high fats isn't a good idea. Bulking with fats equal to protein isn't a good idea either. 1.5 g protein minimum is standard protocol on most bulking routines. Also about 1.5 g carbs. But this all had to do with food sensitivity. Higher carbs on workout days with lower fats. Moderate carbs and moderate days on non training days. Even your own formula above breaks down to percentages in the long run.
Why is high fat wrong? Why would you say having fat equal to protein wrong? I would like you to elaborate on that, if possible.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion obviously, but don't say something is wrong and then give no explanation as to why.

I think his advice is spot on. Fats are important for a plethora of bodily functions. I have seen significant improvement in my performance, physique (although more of a side effect than anything else), and mood since Jason had me up my fats. He even has me eating more fat than protein everyday. (He also has a Ph.D, in case anyone was wondering)

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never said wrong. To me carbs are a far better fuel source for one. I'm not saying fats are not necessary because of course they are. But for say a 200lb person his formula is 200g of fat at least? When lean bulking? Just don't agree with it. I'm 220lbs and try to keep my fats under 150g whenever I can. An like I've said. It just my opinion but that's why in a nut shell.

And don't put words in my mouth btw.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never said wrong. To me carbs are a far better fuel source for one. I'm not saying fats are not necessary because of course they are. But for say a 200lb person his formula is 200g of fat at least? When lean bulking? Just don't agree with it. I'm 220lbs and try to keep my fats under 150g whenever I can. An like I've said. It just my opinion but that's why in a nut shell.

And don't put words in my mouth btw.
You didn't say it was wrong you said it was "not a good idea"

See quote

Bulking with high fats isn't a good idea. Bulking with fats equal to protein isn't a good idea either.

I weigh ~170, and my fats are set at 196 (and often I eat more, depending on calorie needs).

Also, I would advise that you follow your own advice and not put words in someone else's mouth.

Cummins said to eat .4-1g per pound of BW. Which would mmean a 200lb man should eat at least 80g, not atleast 200.

Making it 80-200, (which is where you fall between), now with that said what is wrong with his advice.

One doesn't really need more than 1-1.5g per pound of protein, and I agree that carbs are a better energy source. But fats are more than just an energy source, far more important than carbs.

I'm not trying to bash you or be argumentative, but I agree with CLs recommendations and wanted you to elaborate.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You didn't say it was wrong you said it was "not a good idea"

See quote

I weigh ~170, and my fats are set at 196 (and often I eat more, depending on calorie needs).

Also, I would advise that you follow your own advice and not put words in someone else's mouth.

Cummins said to eat .4-1g per pound of BW. Which would mmean a 200lb man should eat at least 80g, not atleast 200.

Making it 80-200, (which is where you fall between), now with that said what is wrong with his advice.

One doesn't really need more than 1-1.5g per pound of protein, and I agree that carbs are a better energy source. But fats are more than just an energy source, far more important than carbs.

I'm not trying to bash you or be argumentative, but I agree with CLs recommendations and wanted you to elaborate.
I did. I don't agree with his recommendation to let fats get to the high end of that percentage. If I'm adding calories I'd rather add protein first, carbs second and fats last. And just because you don't NEED more protein doesn't mean is not a better alternative then the other two. I know what works for me. I know what hasn't worked for me. And I'm not afraid to give my opinion when people ask for advice and stand by the fact either. But his calculations do break down to a percentage base line :)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did. I don't agree with his recommendation to let fats get to the high end of that percentage. If I'm adding calories I'd rather add protein first, carbs second and fats last. And just because you don't NEED more protein doesn't mean is not a better alternative then the other two. I know what works for me. I know what hasn't worked for me. And I'm not afraid to give my opinion when people ask for advice and stand by the fact either. But his calculations do break down to a percentage base line :)
I know, you did expound. Which I appreciate.

Anecdotal evidence is a great thing, and he said don't do percentages (I assume) because it is easy to get caught up in the numbers and lose the big picture. Everything breaks down into percentages, but generally 20% fat is too low. (IMO)

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree to disagree on this one :)

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its really going to come down to what works best for you and your body. Going through trial and error and adjusting from there.

My body does extremely well with low carbs high protein and high fat. Whereas my wife for example cant function without carbs.

Everything in this lifestyle is so individual.

Czervos

Czervos

Awards
I have been doing 250p, 400c, 60f.
Just see how that works for you. Give it a couple weeks and make changes if you don't see it working. Everyone is thinking their way is the best. It's simple, you wanna get big you gotta eat big. Unless you're a pro bodybuilder I wouldn't worry about every bare essential. Get your proteins in, get your carbs in, and keep the fats moderately low. That's what worked for me. But everybody is different.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Random fact for today: Carbs are not the body's most preferred source of energy. :eek: fat is. Hence why you use it during times of rest and for aerobic capacity. I eat carbs only to that in which I require for working out and a few left over for a bit of brain function. Although I also rely on ketones for this.

The body is not 'designed' to run solely on carbs and a high carb intake can be correlated with a high blood triglycerides which can lower LDL particles and cause atherosclerosis.

Gw44

Gw44

Awards
No carbs can also **** up our kidneys, to the point to where you can't piss. I know from first hand experience.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No carbs can also **** up our kidneys, to the point to where you can't piss. I know from first hand experience.
How exactly does it serve to ruin the kidneys?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How exactly does it serve to ruin the kidneys?
Yeah how does it ruin our kidneys..... To be honest I started doing 80g of carbs two days in a row then refeed with high carbs on day 3. Im liking it so far.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
this obviously isn't true

Gw44

Gw44

Awards
All I know is that I was admitted into the hospital and they said that the protein needed to be taken in with carbs to suppress the damage to my kidneys.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That doesnt sound right. How much protein were you consuming?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All I know is that I was admitted into the hospital and they said that the protein needed to be taken in with carbs to suppress the damage to my kidneys.
you were eating no fiber then. thats why every meal you either 1. eat a small side of greens with fiber or 2. have 2-3 fiber pills with your meal.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Pre-existing condition then?