clean foods aren't adding up

makaya325

Awards
I am starting to bulk up eating clean foods with little fat, high complex carbs and proteins, but I have come across a few obstacles:

1. I don't know if i should consume foods that are high in fat, like peanut butter or nuts

2. I feel guilty if i have a cheat meal once a day, and feel that I am taking easy ways out

3. My diet consists of : Steak/roast beef/pot roast, potato's (plain), Kashi oat cereal, Almonds/Pistachios/ Cashews, Fish, Brown rice, Peanut butter, Beefaroni ( this is the cheat meal i am confused about), Whey protein mixed with 1 percent milk, chicken salad with whole grain bagels.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
1. Fat is good

2. Then don't?

3. Beefaroni is delicious, but if you feel it's not aiding your goals then don't have it every day. Once a week? A month? A blue moon?

Dont overcomplicate. Do what gets results and try different things until you figure out your body.

makaya325

Awards
But I shouldn't worry about a little fat gain even if my diet is mostly healthy, right?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good fats are necessary and healthy for you. You won't make gains if you don't consume fat. Roughly .5g/lb of body weight of fats.

Cheat meals...yes? Unless you're a sponsored professional being paid to be jacked, then there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy life and have a cheat meal. You can have whatever you want in moderation.

Your fat gain will be dependent on your caloric surplus, not if you eat peanut butter or not.

makaya325

Awards
So if my diet is high protein, high carbs, and lower fats from excess calories, I should be putting on more muscle than fat, right?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just because you eat low fat doesn't mean you won't get fat.. Your body weight will be dependent on your caloric surplus/deficit.

Do you know how many calories a day you consume? What's your height and weight.

makaya325

Awards
I'm 5ft10 195lbs

I am starting to consume roughly over 4000 calories a day since yesterday

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
whats your macro breakdown? If your bulking a lil fat gain is going to happen you just want to minimalize it.

makaya325

Awards
I try to keep it: 40 protein, 50 carb, 10 fat

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dude, eat more fat

1g/lb of body weight for protein
.5g/lb for fat
then carbs

tweak that how you need to, but you need more than 10% fat

makaya325

Awards
I eat low fat because of the fear of trans fats, they are in almost everything

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just ate a few spoonfuls of natty peanut butter because my macros for today didn't have ENOUGH fat. It was delicious.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat low fat because of the fear of trans fats, they are in almost everything
So don't eat foods with trans fat. Start checking those nutrition labels man because not too much food has trans fat unless its obviously unhealthy, and even then it's usually 1g per serving. 9 calories

And excess calories will make you fat, not fat itself

cabrunner6480

cabrunner6480

Awards
Forget about macro percentages that's old school stuff.

dude, eat more fat

.5g/lb for fat
then carbs

This guys info is great.

except I would recommend 1g of protein and .5g of fat per LBM(lean body mass)

So say body fat percentage is 12%. Then do this:

195x.12=23.4(round it down to 23)
195-23=172 LBM
172x1=172 grams of protein(x4=688 calories)
172x.5=86 grams of fat(x9=774 calories)

This is where knowing what your calorie maintenance would be helpful. After you add your calories from fats and proteins you then fill you caloric needs with carbs. Say your calorie maintenance is 3,300. Then add 300 calories a day for bulk, since you're worried about a lot of fat gain. So:

3,600-1,432(calories of protein and fat added together)=2,168 calories left over for carbs. Divide that by 4 then you get your grams of carbs per day.

So then macros would look like this: 3,600 calories/day; 172 grams of protein, 542 grams of carbs, and 86 grams of fat.

1. Fat is good

2. Then don't?

3. Beefaroni is delicious, but if you feel it's not aiding your goals then don't have it every day. Once a week? A month? A blue moon?

Dont overcomplicate. Do what gets results and try different things until you figure out your body.
Like he says fat is good. The only time you should go lower on fats during a bulk(like .3g/LBM) is if you're "enhanced"(PH or AAS) and aren't producing your own hormones.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
I dont agree with above statement, but there is no one size fits all solution you just gotta find what works for you. I always go with closer to 2g protein per pound total weight im lean already so i dont care about LBM carbs i cyle from 100 to 400 and fats are always around 60g except reffed days wich are around 200. This works for me doesnt mean itll work for anyone else

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Best way is to "cheat" and hire a coach. I keep a coach year round not just for shows

TexasGuy

Awards
Olive oil mixed with italian seasoning and some garlic is excellent for dipping bread in to. Easy, tasty, high calorie snack.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i would decrease pro and carb and increase fat, theres a reason why they are called "essential"

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i would decrease pro and carb and increase fat, theres a reason why they are called "essential"
you and me seem to tag team the "eat more fat" threads..

olive oil, salad dressings, peanut butter, nuts, steaks, avacado, ect

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you and me seem to tag team the "eat more fat" threads..

olive oil, salad dressings, peanut butter, nuts, steaks, avacado, ect
i do it for the majority who frown apon fat and praise high amounts of protein, secondly fats are the best way to get in those lacking calories at the end of the day and to naturally raise test. im looking into mct as of lately

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree. I was like the OP when I started and ate nothing but brown rice and chicken. It sucked and I hardly made gains

makaya325

Awards
Anything about keeping sugar levels low on a bulk?

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I get my fats in by eating ground beef in my meals. Outline of my diet *Recomp*

6oz ground beef
1 cup rice
3oz pasta
1/2 cup sauce

I eat 2 of those a day with a whey shake with milk for a total of 2500 cals. 5'10" 180

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So if my diet is high protein, high carbs, and lower fats from excess calories, I should be putting on more muscle than fat, right?
You can still get fat from a low fat diet, although if you are doing regular cardio and eating the right type of carbs and proteins and each meal, you shouldn't have a problem staying lean. I for one, have added 5lbs of mass in 6 weeks and still maintained the same BF on a low fat diet. Don't expect quick gains on a low fat diet.

Supplement with MCT oil for extra calories. At times I have brought in as much as an additional 800 calories from MCT's alone. They are good calories to use when trying to pack on mass without the added fat.

I would also be cautious of having both a moderate fat and high carb diet, as you will likely become fat with that scenario. High fat, high carb diet is obviously something to not even consider unless you are prepping for a marathon or some sort of endurance training.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
dude, eat more fat

.5g/lb for fat
then carbs

I sure hope people aren't attempting to follow my diet, lol.

They forget. MCT's are integral in my diet lol.

I do 30% protein, 50% carbs, 10% dietary fats and 10% MCT oil. A little easier than what he was doing.