Best bulking food?

and_drew17

and_drew17

Awards
What are the best foods to eat breakfast lunch and dinner ect..

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Fats are calorically dense and can add up quickly so, a good amount of them should definitely find their way into your diet.

When someone comes to me that is just looking to put away cals and not necessarily hit a target x amount more per day, I tell them to add 1-2tbsp of natty peanut butter or almond butter on two pieces of wheat bread and eat that at every meal.

Another option that is even easier is to add 1-2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to every meal. No preparation required, just pour and drink!

You may want to consider getting a fish oil supplement with a good epa/dha ratio and add 2 or 3 of them to every meal. Aside from adding quality efa's (essential fatty acids) that your body can't produce, there are a host of other benefits. Fish oil supplementation has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity, lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol (ldl). It can help with joint, eye and brain health...as well as skin and hair mosturization too. A DHA only supplement is great for youngsters going through their developmental stages as DHA can help with brain development

I would also suggest taking 1-2tbsp of coconut oil with your pre-wo meal.

These are just a few quick suggestions you can try and add to your daily routine to easily bump your calories up. Fats imo are one of the better ways to ramp up cals while still keeping it clean opposed to say eating a box of poptarts ;)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
poptarts are more enjoyable

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
No kidding..I had a monster calorie load cheat day the other week and put away like 8 vanilla confetti cupcake poptarts....uhhh soo good

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a fan of MCT oil since it has a superior metabolic pathway to carbs & LCT's like dietary fats & oils. Yet it is also dense in calroies (approx 8.3 calories per gram) so it is an efficient way to increase energy, preserve glycogen levels & raise the metabolism.

100-200 calories per day of this stuff if hardly noticeable but when you venture to 600-1000 calories per day it gets pretty impressive...if your stomach can handle it.

And when talking about EFA's and GLA's, nothing has been better for my health than Borage Oils, which are very dense in GLA & Omega-6 fatty acids. Only 1-2 pills a day is all you need!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I'm a fan of MCT oil since it has a superior metabolic pathway to carbs & LCT's like dietary fats & oils. Yet it is also dense in calroies (approx 8.3 calories per gram) so it is an efficient way to increase energy, preserve glycogen levels & raise the metabolism.

100-200 calories per day of this stuff if hardly noticeable but when you venture to 600-1000 calories per day it gets pretty impressive...if your stomach can handle it.

And when talking about EFA's and GLA's, nothing has been better for my health than Borage Oils, which are very dense in GLA & Omega-6 fatty acids. Only 1-2 pills a day is all you need!
is mct the brand or the type

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MCT is a type - Medium Chain Triglyceride. And it has an entirely superior metabolic pathway compared to dietary fats and I'd say even carbs really. The stuff either goes to the muscle or gets urinated eventually. Practically no fat storage just gets straight down to business.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
MCT's like coconut oil are great taken pre-wo

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MCT's like coconut oil are great taken pre-wo
Just to clarify, Coconut Oil is not exclusively MCT, but it has MCT in it. Coconut oil is actually a majority of Long Chain Triglycerides, which are no different from any other dietary fats. Palm seed oil also has a similar structure, having part of its makeup in MCT's.

You can actually buy pure MCT oil, not just Coconut Oil or Palm Seed oil. If it's pure, it'll be the most effective dose for pre-workouts. And yes, I agree that MCT's are the best pre-workout supplement you could possibly ingest, especially if you are on Paleo or Keto diets.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Just to clarify, Coconut Oil is not exclusively MCT, but it has MCT in it. Coconut oil is actually a majority of Long Chain Triglycerides, which are no different from any other dietary fats. Palm seed oil also has a similar structure, having part of its makeup in MCT's.

You can actually buy pure MCT oil, not just Coconut Oil or Palm Seed oil. If it's pure, it'll be the most effective dose for pre-workouts. And yes, I agree that MCT's are the best pre-workout supplement you could possibly ingest, especially if you are on Paleo or Keto diets.
Right on...about 65+% MCT I believe.

Just the more convenient option I was only trying to point out.

One could just throw back a couple of coconut oil pills pre-wo opposed to carrying around a bottle of mct oil as most may not have the luxury or desire to do so ;)

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on...about 65+% MCT I believe.

Just the more convenient option I was only trying to point out.

One could just throw back a couple of coconut oil pills pre-wo opposed to carrying around a bottle of mct oil as most may not have the luxury or desire to do so ;)
Yeah, my advise is to grab a BCAA powder + 1/2 cup maltodextrin + 1 TBSP MCT oil + 10g creatine mono and mix it all with water in a shaker bottle. Makes up about 300 calories + a good amino acid complex for an excellent energy and anti-catabolic pre-workout.

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a good pre-wo mixup you have yourself there.

I myself am all about eating whole foods for the most part, especially when they're coming from carbs ;) I'd rather eat them than drink them...except intra-wo of course.

I have a whole food meal about 1.5hours pre-wo because I like my stomach to be a bit clear to make sure digestion doesn't get in way of blood flow nor leave me feeling full and uncomfortable.

My intra shake consists of 80g of carbs along with 2 scoops of bcaa, working great for me.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like a good pre-wo mixup you have yourself there.

I myself am all about eating whole foods for the most part, especially when they're coming from carbs ;) I'd rather eat them than drink them...except intra-wo of course.

I have a whole food meal about 1.5hours pre-wo because I like my stomach to be a bit clear to make sure digestion doesn't get in way of blood flow nor leave me feeling full and uncomfortable.

My intra shake consists of 80g of carbs along with 2 scoops of bcaa, working great for me.
That mix I mentioned above is my pre-workout, as in I'm drinking it on the way to the gym.. By the time I warm-up and get into heavy sets, I'm starting to digest that drink.

I still eat a few times in the last 3-4 hours prior to training. I eat so much that whole foods alone isn't practical anymore. Supplements truly are "supplemental" to my diet now. I'd go broke trying to take in that many carbs and protein in whole foods alone. Heck, I eat 20oz of meat every day not to mention the macros I receive from 400g of carbs.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
IF you are trying to gain weight then eat as much of anything you can get your hands on. If you have a fast metabolism and have trouble gaining or keeping weight on then worrying about eating super clean is ridiculous....fat people need to worry about eating clean cause they can look at food and gain weight, hard gainers should focus on quantity and stop reading bodybuilding mags

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IF you are trying to gain weight then eat as much of anything you can get your hands on. If you have a fast metabolism and have trouble gaining or keeping weight on then worrying about eating super clean is ridiculous....fat people need to worry about eating clean cause they can look at food and gain weight, hard gainers should focus on quantity and stop reading bodybuilding mags
Perhaps. But it doesn't hurt to intentionally pick foods that are nutrient dense. Just eating anything sometimes translates to empty calories, which coupled with high-intensity exercise amounts to an under-nutritioned athelete.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im a huge fan of bagels with a glass of whole milk. each bagel has around 45-50g of carbs (the ones i get) plus the milk and thats a solid bulking snack!

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im a huge fan of bagels with a glass of whole milk. each bagel has around 45-50g of carbs (the ones i get) plus the milk and thats a solid bulking snack!
Yeah there aren't many fans of "wheat" products on this board. Something about glycemic indeces and all that crap. Bagels are loaded with nutrients, have a great macro profile and are loaded with fiber, too. Taken with other fatty and protein dense foods will slow its breakdown, thus removing the concern surrounding the glycemic index from the equation. My bagels are 250 calories a pop and go well with 3-5 eggs in the morning if your looking for calories. It's an easy 500 calorie meal that leaves you hungry 2 hours later. Perfect for bulking, imo.

I try to avoid foods that 'stay with me' while bulking. Need stuff that stimulates the metabolism.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
I eat 2 or 3 bagels a day while bulking, which I am right now. As I type Im eating a blueberry Sara Lee bagel (280 cals, 50ish carbs, and 9 protein) covered in laughing cow light cinnamon cream cheese. My school sells bagel bin bagels and I have one at lunch every day with 2 packs of cream cheese. Helps me hit my 3800 calorie goal every day nicely and they are just so delicious. My favorite bulking food by far.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat 2 or 3 bagels a day while bulking, which I am right now. As I type Im eating a blueberry Sara Lee bagel (280 cals, 50ish carbs, and 9 protein) covered in laughing cow light cinnamon cream cheese. My school sells bagel bin bagels and I have one at lunch every day with 2 packs of cream cheese. Helps me hit my 3800 calorie goal every day nicely and they are just so delicious. My favorite bulking food by far.
yeah i eat about 2-3/day as well. 100-150g of carbs by bagels alone.

ergo

ergo

Awards
3 cups cooked cream of rice 108 grams carbs
1 large tablespoon honey 40-50 grams carbs in cooked C of R
1 large banana diced in C of R 35-45 grams of carbs
Fresh Berries. I like Raspberries 6 oz 25 grams carbs placed on top of C of R
Total Carbs 200+

After you finish, and you will be able to finish as it taste extremely ****ing good.
Chug down a 16 OZ carton of Pasteurized Egg Whites 50 Grams of Protein
200 Grams Carbs 50 Grams Protein 1000 calories
I do this 3-4 times a day. Takes 10 minutes prep time. My first meal of this is at 3am. I get up piss, make this, eat, clean pot and dish and back to bed 25 minutes total. Rest of meals are Talapia, fresh Sashimi Grade Ahi fried in Mac Nut oil, Placed on 12+oz cooked steamed white rice, soy sauce low sodium, 1 Chobani Yougurt, 6oz pineapple juice mixed with 6oz water. I'm 50 years old. 6 feet tall, I weighed 262 on my Gym scales in UA Shorts and Heat Gear shirt 8% body fat and I'm bulking for Masters Nationals. Good luck!

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I make something I call mush for my bulks. I add this twice a day and gain very nicely.

2 cups Brown rice 100carbs
2 whole eggs 2 whites- 20g Protein, 10g Fat
6oz ground turkey- 30g Protein, 10g fat

approx 835 cals

I will make this one day a week and pre pack it for 2 per day.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Agreed...I usually do pb or lean turkey deli meat

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
hells yes man. i make breakfast samiches with bagels, eggs, cheese, and ham or turkey. sometimes i even feel ballsy and toss in some overcooked bacon to give it a crunch

i geteverything bagels, blueberry bagels, and cinamon raisin bagels. those are my winners

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hells yes man. i make breakfast samiches with bagels, eggs, cheese, and ham or turkey. sometimes i even feel ballsy and toss in some overcooked bacon to give it a crunch

i geteverything bagels, blueberry bagels, and cinamon raisin bagels. those are my winners
ive been doing some asiago cheese lately

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3 cups cooked cream of rice 108 grams carbs
1 large tablespoon honey 40-50 grams carbs in cooked C of R
1 large banana diced in C of R 35-45 grams of carbs
Fresh Berries. I like Raspberries 6 oz 25 grams carbs placed on top of C of R
Total Carbs 200+

After you finish, and you will be able to finish as it taste extremely ****ing good.
Chug down a 16 OZ carton of Pasteurized Egg Whites 50 Grams of Protein
200 Grams Carbs 50 Grams Protein 1000 calories
I do this 3-4 times a day. Takes 10 minutes prep time. My first meal of this is at 3am. I get up piss, make this, eat, clean pot and dish and back to bed 25 minutes total. Rest of meals are Talapia, fresh Sashimi Grade Ahi fried in Mac Nut oil, Placed on 12+oz cooked steamed white rice, soy sauce low sodium, 1 Chobani Yougurt, 6oz pineapple juice mixed with 6oz water. I'm 50 years old. 6 feet tall, I weighed 262 on my Gym scales in UA Shorts and Heat Gear shirt 8% body fat and I'm bulking for Masters Nationals. Good luck!
While I may not try the foods, I may try your 3AM technique. I need another 20lbs of mass...

Bein an ecto sucks, lol

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While I may not try the foods, I may try your 3AM technique. I need another 20lbs of mass...

Bein an ecto sucks, lol
i agree!! but seeing my alarm go off at 3AM.....i would turn over and say "screw it" and go back to sleep !

STLG

Awards
Proats is a great bulking food imo.

60g oats - 225kcal
64g PB - 380kcal
14g Flax - 70kcal
1 apple - 110kcal
12oz skim milk - 120kcal
1scoop protein - 150kcal

Total = 1055kcal

Takes <10 minutes to prepare on the stove top.