Liquid Calories vs. Solid Calories

1. Registered User
    Answers

Liquid Calories vs. Solid Calories

This is probably a dumb question - and I think I know the answer to it, but I was wondering if someone could explain it a little bit better.

When it comes to bulking, Is there a difference between a calorie from a liquid.. compared to a calorie from a solid?

It only makes sense to me that a solid calorie would be better for bulking, but I thought calories are broken down into a simple form so that all calories are equal. The reason I ask, I have a very hectic job. I work from 9am to 10pm everyday, and I'm very lucky to get a break during that time. So I often find myself replacing meals with shakes/drinks (I know it's not ideal, but it's what I have to work with).

2. Registered User
    Answers

It is best to have solid meals and use mrp only when you can't. With the exception perhaps of post w/o
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

The calories between liquid and solid will be the same. However, the actual nutritional content between them will be different.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

The actual nutritional content between all meals will be different unless it is the same meal. Don't be misled into relying primarily on shakes to reach your goals, you need real food.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by De Courcy View Post
    The actual nutritional content between all meals will be different unless it is the same meal. Don't be misled into basing your program on shakes, you need real food.
    Where did I imply that shakes are sufficient for nutrition or that powders are ideal?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The calories between liquid and solid will be the same. However, the actual nutritional content between them will be different.
    Just did not want the op to be confused by this
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by De Courcy View Post
    Just did not want the op to be confused by this
    There's nothing confusing about my post. The body cannot differentiate between liquid and solid calories. However, they are not the same nutritionally. They're two different topics.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks guys!

Any tips on foods or meal program that could work for someone with a crazy work schedule? Does anybody know of any magic food I could eat throughout the day that will help? *sarcasm*
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The body cannot differentiate between liquid and solid calories. However, they are not the same nutritionally.
    No two meals are the same nutritionally unless they are identical meals.

Of course physiologically the body can't tell the difference, I did not however want the op to be misled into thinking you can make up the difference simply by adding more shakes and mrps, cutting out whole foods because, "the body cannot differentiate". Whole foods are one of the cornerstones in bulking.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Just don't eat and call it a fasting window until your schedule settles down.

Kidding. Powders are decent if you're super busy as long as you make your relaxed meals whole foods.

Casein protein is slow digesting and can be beneficial if it is hard to eat as well. A couple glasses of milk and some mixed nuts for fat and fiber content to furthur slow digestion would help.

If you don't have a refrigerator, casein powder is ok instead of milk. Just make sure you add extra nuts for the lacking fat in powder and an apple or banana or something to make up the sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalFunnel View Post
    Thanks guys!

Any tips on foods or meal program that could work for someone with a crazy work schedule? Does anybody know of any magic food I could eat throughout the day that will help? *sarcasm*
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Answers

The body doesn't "see" food; it sees nutrients.

All that matters is adequate caloric intake (solid/liquid doesn't matter), and adequate nutrients.

There's no way I could eat my 5000 calories purely from solid food. 2,000 of those come from milk, shakes, and olive oil.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.
    Answers

made my biggest gains at a time when i was consuming a 75% liquid diet
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by proteinftw View Post
    made my biggest gains at a time when i was consuming a 75% liquid diet
    Protein supplements have been shown to have superior biological values than whole foods: http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/proteinrating.html

Essentially you'd have to eat more food to absorb the same amount of protein and increased caloric intake certainly has it's place but if you are staying under a calorie ceiling, 2000 calories for example, and are using a macro ratio that limits how much meat you can eat, whey protein can give you a boost where amino acid absorption and utilization are concerned.

You will miss out on other benefits of whole foods over supplements though so powders definitely shouldn't be your primary protein source, but they have their place.

Also, not being mean, but at 6' and 175 pounds, I'm guessing the growth that got you there came from many factors outside of your protein source.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  189 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy View Post
    You will miss out on other benefits of whole foods over supplements though so powders definitely shouldn't be your primary protein source, but they have their place.

Also, not being mean, but at 6' and 175 pounds, I'm guessing the growth that got you there came from many factors outside of your protein source.
    yeah people probably thought i was crazy being so small taking whey protein shakes at work,
    but i started @ 135 and made it to 195 in a little over a year but lost a lot of gains mostly due to a bad cut,
    but on topic i was abusing dymatize super mass gainer, and made huge strength gains
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by proteinftw View Post
    yeah people probably thought i was crazy being so small taking whey protein shakes at work,
    but i started @ 135 and made it to 195 in a little over a year but lost a lot of gains mostly due to a bad cut,
    but on topic i was abusing dymatize super mass gainer, and made huge strength gains
    protein is protein. You would've made the same strength gains with roast beef sandwhiches and egg salad but a shake can be convenient between meals.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

GOMAD diet...gallon of milk a day, extra 2000 calories, yo can carry it around with you. work s every time
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gaining: Calories Vs. Protein
    By Punisher63e in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 03:20 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 10:52 PM
  3. Liquid Nutrition VS Solid Foods
    By deuce747 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM