All I Have is a 25lb Dumbell...

6C The Second

Awards
Two weeks ago I got back into working out. I cut the booze, and dirty foods out of my life style two days before that. I would like to bulk, but at the time being I can not afford a gym membership. My routine consists of push-ups, sit-ups, chair dips, curls, forearm curls, DB Raises(delts), body weight squats, and calve raises while holding the dumbell. Everything is done in 4 sets of 20-30, but significantly higher reps for sit-ups and push-ups. My diet is about 2400cal/day w/ 200g protein. Current weight is 185lbs. I have gone up in size and weight over the two weeks, but will this continue? I plan on continually adding reps as time goes on. I'll be able to join a gym in about a month. Any recommendationds until then? Do you guys think I will keep gaining strictly with body weight exercises?

Thanks!

Alinshop

Banned
Awards
Just do your best to get lean and then hit the weights when you join the gym

proteinftw

Awards
Two weeks ago I got back into working out. I cut the booze, and dirty foods out of my life style two days before that. I would like to bulk, but at the time being I can not afford a gym membership. My routine consists of push-ups, sit-ups, chair dips, curls, forearm curls, DB Raises(delts), body weight squats, and calve raises while holding the dumbell. Everything is done in 4 sets of 20-30, but significantly higher reps for sit-ups and push-ups. My diet is about 2400cal/day w/ 200g protein. Current weight is 185lbs. I have gone up in size and weight over the two weeks, but will this continue? I plan on continually adding reps as time goes on. I'll be able to join a gym in about a month. Any recommendationds until then? Do you guys think I will keep gaining strictly with body weight exercises?

Thanks!
calories seem a bit low for 6'3 185, but if you're gaining weight stick to it..
for exercises with a 25lb dumbbell..
chest: db pullovers using your bed as a bench (could be too much weight)
pushup variations, do a lot of supersetting
biceps: obviously curls and hammer curls
triceps: tricep extensions and kickbacks
shoulders: shoulder press, upright rows
back: db rows

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Slower contractions can make lighter weight go a long way.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Fill milk jugs with water...bags with sand..get creative. Anything you can do to add extra weight to your bodyweight exercises

Boson3

Awards

Thanks!
Probably not man considering your weight(unless its fat then go cut first) and high reps. Once you hit the gym go low rep high weight to gain even bigger.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You will maxout at a point for BW exercises as the resistance always remains the same; but considering you are going to the gym soon, its nothing really to worry about. You don't do any back exercises which will ultimately cause problems so I suggest rows and YTI raises or something of the like.

6C The Second

Awards
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
gaining size is about volume....in your diet and in your training. You can get bigger and more muscular by eating a ton of food and training hard. It doesnt matter if you only have a dumbell. Set ridiculous bodyweight movement goals, like 200, 500 pushups a day....if you are eating enough and can do that I gaurantee you will be bigger.period.

6C The Second

Awards
gaining size is about volume....in your diet and in your training. You can get bigger and more muscular by eating a ton of food and training hard. It doesnt matter if you only have a dumbell. Set ridiculous bodyweight movement goals, like 200, 500 pushups a day....if you are eating enough and can do that I gaurantee you will be bigger.period.
Thank you, Gerald. You said just what I was hoping to hear!

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
I love bodyweight exercises and congrats on cutting the booze and bad foods out, as far as whether you can bulk with calisthenics yes you can, check out two groups: barstarrz and also calisthenics kingz. Ignore when people outside of the fitness world (I specify because there is some excellent information on here but I'm talking specifically about the people at a gym or the ones who believe you must use dumbbells or barbells to get fit strong and large) who tell you bodyweight won't build muscle, just look at gymnasts, they're monsters and most have never lifted a barbell in their life. Also calisthenics is great for maintaining a low body fat

6C The Second

Awards
I love bodyweight exercises and congrats on cutting the booze and bad foods out, as far as whether you can bulk with calisthenics yes you can, check out two groups: barstarrz and also calisthenics kingz. Ignore when people outside of the fitness world (I specify because there is some excellent information on here but I'm talking specifically about the people at a gym or the ones who believe you must use dumbbells or barbells to get fit strong and large) who tell you bodyweight won't build muscle, just look at gymnasts, they're monsters and most have never lifted a barbell in their life. Also calisthenics is great for maintaining a low body fat
Thank you! I will check those groups out

Obey46

Obey46

Awards
On top of the body weight exercises, you can find yourself cheaper/affordable equipment on Craigslist(if you're in the US).

Alinshop

Banned
Awards

Thanks!

How is your progress going?

6C The Second

Awards
How is your progress going?
I've had a membership for nearly a month now. :) I love it. I'm up to 195lbs @ 10%bf I'm sure a lot of the weight is food and water. I eat 3,000-5,000(5,000 on some work days) cal/day. I adjust my intake accordingly with my fitbit stats. I love being back!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
try pistol squats and pick up heavy stuff, serious. also do 1 legged calf raises.
after you do a set of push ups, roll over and do one arm flys with your DB. repeat for the other side. making it giant set.

I know it might be hard to achieve ... but a big tire to flip back and forth will work your back, chest and legs. when you get tired try pushing it like a sled.

the thing is you have a lot of stuff on cheap you can do.

for about 40 dollars you can add a tub of Mass Gains which is a new product that gives you a 500 calorie shake.. one tub will give you 35 servings.
its made of whey prots, quinoa, oats, and essential fatty acids.