Ectomorph Bulking

aidy

aidy

Awards
I'm about to try bulking and would be grateful for advice. I'm an ectomorphic guy, 5'5" in height and weigh 130lbs.

I've always found it hard to put on weight and difficult to hit my calorie target.

Any tips that may help me? I'm not too concerned about a clean bulk, I just need to put size on, cutting will not be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
What is your diet like at the moment? Also what are your activity levels? Training,sports ect.

As of now I would recommend beef,milk, pretty much anything from a cow. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, peanut butter ect.

aidy

aidy

Awards
A typical day would be porridge and banana for breakfast, a baked potato and tuna at lunch, a mass gainer shake, chilli and rice for dinner with a second mass gainer shake.

aidy

aidy

Awards
Meant to add my activity levels; I have a desk job and will train 3 or 4 times a week at the gym, only compound lifts, no cardio.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Peanut butter and ground beef will be your best friends with calories

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
word to what hwd says. screw the 97/3 ground beef. hit up the 80/20. get some healthy fats in ya like peanut butter, salad dressings, nuts, oils. then fill the rest in with healthy carb sources. I know some people that like to eat every 3 hours so they can eat more. it didnt work for me, I'm better when I can just eat when I'm hungry and I'm able to eat more than.

aidy

aidy

Awards
@Sean that's what I struggle with, eating when not hungry. Sounds like it can work doing it to appetite and squeezing in what you can.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
your tdee cant be very high, focus on higher fats. whole milk helps alot also

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
@Sean that's what I struggle with, eating when not hungry. Sounds like it can work doing it to appetite and squeezing in what you can.
Lifting hard and heavy will make you hungry bro also yes to what Sean said :) and if your not hungry a lot well when you are make sure your food is high in calories...here's my example of my post workout meal when I bulk

2 natty peanut butter sandwiches with 2 tall glasses of whole milk...80/20 beef patty with 2 slices of cheese and 2 eggs on top

1200-1500 calories right there bro

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If I'm not hungry, I'm not eating. When I'm hungry though I'll kill over 1000cal in a minute easy.

Hvactech has good advice too. Don't worry about buying low fat everything. whole milk, whole eggs, dark meat, red meat. At 130lbs you can afford to eat the foods that others can't

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
or work overtime to cover your food budget, thats what i have to do.

aidy

aidy

Awards
Thanks all for the advice, I'm starting tomorrow. I don't have a timescale, just planning on training as hard as I can.

The overtime is a definite, food is so expensive right now.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I ate something bad and threw up the other night and was starving afterwards. i blended up a scoop of protein with whole milk, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, nutrigrain bar, and chobani yogurt. If it fits in a blender, you can drink it

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I ate something bad and threw up the other night and was starving afterwards. i blended up a scoop of protein with whole milk, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, nutrigrain bar, and chobani yogurt. If it fits in a blender, you can drink it
Yum and 1 Oreo :p

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
aidy-I hope you're not a troll because I'm pretty sure I read a post from you earlier asking about the side effects of anadrol usage

aidy

aidy

Awards
Certainly not a troll. Just a confused beginner. Hav has replied to my other posting too. He's rightly pointed out I should sort my nutrition before considering Anadrol.

I've failed at every attempt in trying to put size on.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was just checking. I hadn't poked into that thread since I had first seen it. A lot of people say they plateau or are hardgainers but really it's because they aren't eating. You have to jump a mental hurdle for it. Eat like you're 200lbs, not 130lb. It's easy to say but it's different to apply it. Never think "nah I ate enough already, I don't need that other peice of chicken or a potato"

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been an ectomorph all my life. We all say the same thing: I can't gain because I'm not hungry. The biggest hurdle I had when I decided I'm tired if being underweight and skinny was to eat.

So what I did was look for low volume but high calorie/high protein foods to eat while maintaining a heavy lifting routine.

Nuts, Powerbar Performance bars, honey, beef, tuna, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs for on-the-run foods.

If you have a smart phone download ProteinTracker or other like program and track food consumption. You will be amazed how the foods you eat now have so little calories.

It's a mind set to not eat. It started when you were young and developed into an adult habit.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I started out at 135 when I was 16, im currently bulking and weight 280 at 25 years old. If you want to build mass, you have to turn it into a job, it has to be apart of your life.

No money ? Thats easy get a cook book and do it your self. Im a chrf by trade so o buy almost everything in raw form and make it myself saves a lot of money. Never buy premade foods there over price, and horrible for you. If you don't have a lot of time do what most lifters do, make a bunch of food on your days off then reheat when you eat.

You should be eating the following
Eggs (best source to me 72g protien in one dozen & cheap 1.50 a dozen)
Milk
Ground beef( going up in price right now and only getting higher so try and use the least)
Pork (especialy loin just picked up a 8 lb loin for 10 bucks)
Chicken
Bread
Potatoes
Rice
Carbs,protien, fat.

I've actually thought about starting a recipes thread, cause I cringe at some of the stuff you guys eat lol.

dazzvxr

dazzvxr

Awards
I started out at 135 when I was 16, im currently bulking and weight 280 at 25 years old. If you want to build mass, you have to turn it into a job, it has to be apart of your life.

No money ? Thats easy get a cook book and do it your self. Im a chrf by trade so o buy almost everything in raw form and make it myself saves a lot of money. Never buy premade foods there over price, and horrible for you. If you don't have a lot of time do what most lifters do, make a bunch of food on your days off then reheat when you eat.

You should be eating the following
Eggs (best source to me 72g protien in one dozen & cheap 1.50 a dozen)
Milk
Ground beef( going up in price right now and only getting higher so try and use the least)
Pork (especialy loin just picked up a 8 lb loin for 10 bucks)
Chicken
Bread
Potatoes
Rice
Carbs,protien, fat.

I've actually thought about starting a recipes thread, cause I cringe at some of the stuff you guys eat lol.
Do it!! Even I cringe at some of the things I eat :D

aidy

aidy

Awards
Thanks guys, all useful tips. I'm sure I can condition myself into bigger and more portions.

I'll think about posting some progress pictures if it works out.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys, all useful tips. I'm sure I can condition myself into bigger and more portions.

I'll think about posting some progress pictures if it works out.
The neat thing about 5-8 meals per day is that you only have to make small, incremental increases to each meal, which is much easier to handle than adding 300-500 calories per meal. If you eat 5 times per day, every two weeks you could add 100 calories to each meal. That means in 4 weeks time you should be eating 1000 more calories per day than you were when you started.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
GOMAD diet...gallon of mik a day....2000 extra calories on top of your regular diet...you will gain weight-- itrs really not as hard as you would think but works every time

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
drinking half and half is an easy way to get extra calories....1 quart = 1000 calories, tastes like milk and it cheap.