Carb intake for a little lifter!

missbeast

missbeast

Awards
I am only 4'11 & very small and slender at 110lbs. I am looking to mass and am not sure what my carb intake should look like. Does the 40/40/20 work fairy well? I have learned that carbs shouldn't really be a huge concern for me while trying to mass, just want to make sure I am putting on the correct weight (muscle, not fat). I notice that when my carbs are higher, I tend to carry more fat & water weight.

Suggestions?

Sharie

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I am only 4'11 & very small and slender at 110lbs. I am looking to mass and am not sure what my carb intake should look like. Does the 40/40/20 work fairy well? I have learned that carbs shouldn't really be a huge concern for me while trying to mass, just want to make sure I am putting on the correct weight (muscle, not fat). I notice that when my carbs are higher, I tend to carry more fat & water weight.

Suggestions?

Sharie

What are your Macro's currently?

missbeast

missbeast

Awards
Currently I'm doing 40/40/20 on a cutting diet. Now I'm looking to mass. According to the Harris Benedict Equation I should be I taking roughly 2700 cals a day to gain 1lb a week.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Currently I'm doing 40/40/20 on a cutting diet. Now I'm looking to mass. According to the Harris Benedict Equation I should be I taking roughly 2700 cals a day to gain 1lb a week.

Whatever your current calorie maintenance is daily increase it slowly. I'd say 200-300 calories at first. For me personally when it comes to bulking and deciding what my macros should be I use the mirror. Keep the split you have If that's what you're using and increase calories slowly. Lean meat, veggies, complex carbs, and good fats.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
40/40/20 is fine. Give it a shot for a month and the reasses your progress or lack of.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2

TexasGuy

Awards
Whatever your current calorie maintenance is daily increase it slowly. I'd say 200-300 calories at first. For me personally when it comes to bulking and deciding what my macros should be I use the mirror. Keep the split you have If that's what you're using and increase calories slowly. Lean meat, veggies, complex carbs, and good fats.
I agree here with the exception of increasing calorie intake more aggressively initially and then scaling back if necessary. Technically speaking, a bulking routine should be more intense than a cutting routine as you will be better fed, more energetic and able to lift harder. You will need additional energy just to stay at maintenence and then extra energy to synthesize new lean tissue.

For the most part, manipulating macro splits within a set calorie range is most beneficial in single digit body fat levels to get as lean as possible for a bodybuilding show or something, which is only temporary anyways. Caloric intake is far and above the most important factor to both gaining and leaning where fat is concerned.

That said, your ratios will continue to work for you on the surplus side of caloric intake. Just increase the amount of foods you are already eating within your ratio if you've found a favorable split.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Caloric intake is far and above the most important factor to both gaining and leaning where fat is concerned.
This concept is what weight watchers is based upon and is also why it is flawed. Total energy intake accounts for weight loss and gain but ignoring the downstream metabolic consequences macronutrients have leads to weight loss but also adipose gain. This is the "skinny fat" body type that is becoming ever so prevelant today.

That said, in the bulking sense considering she is taking in a caloric surplus, it is probably something that isn't if much importance. The determining factor is how fast he is looking to grow vs. How much adipose gain he is willing to have happen.

TexasGuy

Awards
This concept is what weight watchers is based upon and is also why it is flawed. Total energy intake accounts for weight loss and gain but ignoring the downstream metabolic consequences macronutrients have leads to weight loss but also adipose gain. This is the "skinny fat" body type that is becoming ever so prevelant today.

That said, in the bulking sense considering he is taking in a caloric surplus, it is probably something that isn't if much importance. The determining factor is how fast he is looking to grow vs. How much adipose gain he is willing to have happen.

I'm responding to a woman interested in bulking, who will be lifting and will be creating a favorable insulin response to handle the posted ratios.

I don't know why you insist on pulling comments out of context to argue them.

I should end my reply there but following your rabbit hole and generally speaking:

Caloric intake is the key factor for the vast majority of people interested in manipulating weight, period. I realize macros can be manipulated and have said so (in context), multiple times in multiple conversations you've been a part, though we were discussing protein specifically.

Big picture, considering her training and diet, the downstream metabolic factors of her diet will have limited if any negative effect and she shouldn't get caught up on super technical bull**** unless she decides to hit either a level of muscle or leanness that simple caloric manipulation can't help her achieve. 95% of lifters really don't need to concern themselves with this however. Caloric management and proper training will create a beach body with room for macro flexibility within a caloric umbrella.

Athletes manipulating their bodies for quick weight loss to hit a weight class, bodybuilders getting as lean and dry as possible et cetera genuinly benefit from technical manipulations.

Can the average joe looking for a six pack and biceps manipulate macros to isolate physiological responses taking advantage of glycolysis, lypolysis et cetera and see results? Yes. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

And FTR, nobody is discussing untrained people.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
OP. don't over complicate it. Increase calories by eating more of the good foods you're hopefully already eating and combine it with a good lifting program. Check your progress in 4 weeks and go from there. Simple common sense.

TexasGuy

Awards
Also, consider PMing a member named Celorza. He can probably help you out.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is some practical advice, go buy some carb powder like Carbo Gain and add it to your protein shakes. Maybe once to twice a day at first. You could supplement with MCT a few times per day to increase calories too.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is some practical advice, go buy some carb powder like Carbo Gain and add it to your protein shakes. Maybe once to twice a day at first. You could supplement with MCT a few times per day to increase calories too.
NP carb powder was on sale. Coconut oil is relatively cheap.. solid advice

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
that diet is fine...just commit to doing it and train your ass off. If you arent gaining the eat a little more.