Hardgainer's Clean Bulking Log

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Starting this log to track my progress and maintain motivation. It'll probably do a better job of keeping me accountable if I deviate from my goal.

Here are my stats:

Age 35
Height 5'7"
Weight 155
Current Goal is a clean bulk to add 10 lbs.

Been working out off and on most of my life. Don't have a mentor/coach for guidance, but have learned tons since I found this site not too long ago. A few weeks back, I began tracking my macros and realized that my diet has been holding me back all this time. I calculated my caloric maint level, but something doesn't seem right. Although the mirror tells me I am fuller, the scale shows that I am still not gaining weight. I've slowly added the calories to where I am close to 4,000 cals a day.

Cal Maint Level = about 2,400 according to the Harris Benedict Formula

Current Macros (avg for the most recent week)
Calories = 4,000
Carbs = 380g (40%)
Protein = 270g (30%)
Fats = 120g (30%)

All calories come from natural foods (lean meats/complex carbs/good fats). Only add a whey protein powder for Pre/Post workout. Will most likely begin adding basic supps in the future. And I kill the weights. Only other thing I can improve is my sleep. But with work and 2 kids, that's hit or miss. Since increasing the calories, I have felt more muscle fullness so I'm on the right track, just afraid to gain too much weight too fast if it hits me all at once.

So my question is: at 4,000 calories does it make sense to continue adding, or is there a delay where the body says WTF! and then starts growing?

I'll be updating weekly. Any tips/critiques are welcome. Thanks

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
So one day after I start my log some douchebag rear ends me on my way to work. Miss two meals and about a 1/4 gallon of water. I'll have to play catch up the rest of the day.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed for the avi pic.

Don't worry about missing meal. If you start worrying about that you'll end up driving yourself crazy. Just worry about what it's at by the end of the day

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
So one day after I start my log some douchebag rear ends me on my way to work. Miss two meals and about a 1/4 gallon of water. I'll have to play catch up the rest of the day.

Meal timing doesn't mean anything, don't stress out. I regularly go a full day with no food and maintain >200lb

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I caught up and reached my macro targets even after missing a meal and snack earlier in the day. Fortunately, yesterday was a rest day. It would have been to hectic trying to squeeze in the workout and the meals.

On a side note...I'm going to bed later than usual because of the time I take prepping meals for the next day. I'm only getting about 6 hrs of sleep in. How do you guys cut down the meal prep time?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cook one huge meal for the whole day. It's really not that hard to hit your cals. Don't worry so much about macro ratios when bulking either or eating 6-8 times a day.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Subbed for the avi pic.

Don't worry about missing meal. If you start worrying about that you'll end up driving yourself crazy. Just worry about what it's at by the end of the day
Yeah, I here ya about the going crazy. I gotta relax a bit. It's only been a few weeks and I find myself stressing out over my cals. I'm making my targets, but it's a bitch getting the 4,000 cals in on the no-red meat days.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Cook one huge meal for the whole day. It's really not that hard to hit your cals. Don't worry so much about macro ratios when bulking either or eating 6-8 times a day.
Sounds good. I don't have a problem eating the same thing for a couple days. I'll try that tonight.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont eat quite that much, but I will be in 6 weeks time. Except I eat alot more carbs and alot less fats than u do. I roughly stay around 12% dietary fats and about 5-10% MCT oil, which stimulates fat burn, GH and releases a good deal of heat in the body. Maybe u could drop 40 - 50g fat and replace with equivalent amount in carbs...I bet you'd grow then! You need a steady low level flow of insulin for optimal anabolic activity. Plus, carbs are 10 times less likely to be stored in fat cells as actual dietary fat (that shouldnt surprise you). Stick with healthy carbs though. Avoid the simple sugars and you'll be well on ur way. Also, consider BCAA's...about 20g per day.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Fueled - I'm not too concerned about the fat intake right now. I'm trying to get my calories where I can get them. I'm scheduled to step on the scale again on Sunday and if no weight has been gained, I'll up the calories by 250. The increase will come from carbs since I do agree that I'm getting enough protein and fat. If I have gained, then I'll shift around my macros a bit.

I have not considered the BCAA's. Last time I looked at them was many, many years ago when most of the supps were money down the drain. I remember that was back when Vanadyl Sulfate was a "must have". I'll read up and see what brands are recommended.

On a positive note, I am appearing fuller. So that's a plus! Looking forward to Sunday.

Thanks for your advice.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fueled - I'm not too concerned about the fat intake right now. I'm trying to get my calories where I can get them. I'm scheduled to step on the scale again on Sunday and if no weight has been gained, I'll up the calories by 250. The increase will come from carbs since I do agree that I'm getting enough protein and fat. If I have gained, then I'll shift around my macros a bit.

I have not considered the BCAA's. Last time I looked at them was many, many years ago when most of the supps were money down the drain. I remember that was back when Vanadyl Sulfate was a "must have". I'll read up and see what brands are recommended.

On a positive note, I am appearing fuller. So that's a plus! Looking forward to Sunday.

Thanks for your advice.

The suggestion for more carbs less fats was based around speeding up the metabolism. Your body seems similar to mine ~ very fast metabolism. For me, the more carbs I eat, the more carbs I burn and the more hungry I get. Cardio also helps my appetite, moreso than weight-lifting.

As for BCAA's, they are essential amino acids, and they help spare muscle tissue during training and aid in muscle growth during the recovery phase. They need to be taken preferrably at every meal and before/after training for best results.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Weekly Update:

Weight - 157
Gain - 2lbs

Summary - Increased cals to 4,000 each day with the exception of Saturday and Sunday. I may have come close on Saturday, but was unable to track my diet. Sunday was a disaster. But I fully expected it as it was my daughter's b-day party.

Observations - I know it's only 2 lbs, but I did not seem to gain the weight proportionately over the week even though my diet has been consistent. It almost seemed like the weight was gained over the weekend, which is when my meals went to crap. Strength has increased a bit. Upper body seems fuller. Lower body not so much.

Plan is to maintain caloric level at 4,000. Will leave macros as is for now.

To do List:
1) Buy a body fat caliper
2) Look for ways to increase sleep (following Sean's advice to cook in bulk)
3) Look into basic supps. Will look into BCAA and Creatine.
4) Improve lower body routine. I neglected legs for a very long time and would like to bring them up.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Weekly Update:

Weight - 160
Gain - 3lbs

Summary - Cals remained at 4,000 each day with the exception of the weekend (again). I may have come close on Saturday, but was unable to track my diet. I know I missed my cals on Sunday, but at least I still ate quality foods.

Observations - Same observation as last week. I did not seem to gain the weight proportionately over the week even though my diet has been consistent. It almost seemed like the weight was gained over the weekend. Not sure what's going on there.

I see my avi was taken down. No more natural T-boost I guess.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weekly Update:

Weight - 160
Gain - 3lbs

Summary - Cals remained at 4,000 each day with the exception of the weekend (again). I may have come close on Saturday, but was unable to track my diet. I know I missed my cals on Sunday, but at least I still ate quality foods.

Observations - Same observation as last week. I did not seem to gain the weight proportionately over the week even though my diet has been consistent. It almost seemed like the weight was gained over the weekend. Not sure what's going on there.

I see my avi was taken down. No more natural T-boost I guess.

Good progress nonetheless! A few questions so I can be informed during your weight gain cycle.

1) what type of training are you doing on the weekends?

2) How much cardio and what type are you performing (if any) throughout the week?

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
I'm happy with the progress. But I am starting to think that my weight is still highly dependent upon what I ate the day before. Unfortunatley, I feel that I am always carrying around a small grocery cart inside my belly at all times. So can't accurately get a weigh in...

I don't do any cardio. Since I'm an ecto, I can't really say I ever have. Maybe once in a while when I have a bad conscience about heart health. I've started learning about HIIT and will likely incorporate it to some degree at a later date.

Training consists of 1 day on/1 day off (includes weekends as well). Workouts are in the evenings after work and last between 45 - 60 minutes. All compound movements. I've laid out my routine below (off teh top of my head). Feel free to critique.

Day 1: Chest/Back (all exercises are 4 sets between 6-10 reps each)
Bench Press
Bent over Barbell Rows
Incline bench Press (about 30 degree incline)
Barbell Shrugs
Weighted Pushups on Rings (elevated) - 3 sets only
Inverted Rows (elevated) - 3 sets only
Ab Crunches (if time permits)

Day 2: off

Day 3: Legs (all exercises are 4 sets between 6-10 reps each except calf raises which are 8-15)
Squat (past parrallel but not exactly ATG - I use a milk crate as a guide)
Calf Raise
Deadlift
Variation of the sissy squat
Goblet Squats (added recently)

Day 4: off

Day 5: Shoulders/Arms (all exercises are 4 sets between 6-10 reps each)
Barbell Shoulder Press (alternate between Behind the Neck or Military)
Weighted Chins (close grip)
Weighted Dips
Barbell Curl
Close Grip Bench Press
Ab Crunches

Day 6: off

Day 7: Legs (all exercises are 4 sets between 6-10 reps each except calf raises which are 8-15)
Wide Stance Squat (past parrallel but not exactly ATG - I use a milk crate as a guide)
Calf Raises
Romanian Deadlift
Lunge
Lying Leg Curls (hams)

Day 8: off

Day 9: repeat Day 1 and so on

Thanks again. Your insight is appreciated.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might be all alone on this one but I do believe brief spurts of high-intensity cardio a few times a week help with recovery, especially with leg routines. I'm also a firm believer of stretch in between sets, as it really does get the blood flowing and increases my pumps while training and in the case for my legs it literally reduces all DOMS to almost nothing.

Keep doing what you are doing and it'll come around. Stopped gaining weight? Add 200 calories/day for another week and see if lbs increase. Usually, you'll have to keep doing this to manufacture new muscle. Remember, it takes alot more calories to manufacture a lb of muscle than to maintain a lb ofmuscle.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Update - not a full week, but wanted to record my weight before the weekend. I am still at 160. So we'll see what happens by Sunday. I'll try to keep diet consistent throughout.

Was able to avoid a missed workout on Wednesday. It was a leg day and did not want to skip it since my legs are lagging my upper body. I was able to get it done and earned the bonus of having a protein and carb soaked restaurant meal afterwards (reason I would have missed the workout). Wife was pissed because we were late meeting her family. But it was worth it haha.

For some reason I was feeling out of it yesterday. Only got in about 3,000 calories. I'll consider it an "off" day. Although eating has gotten easier, it still takes a lot of time away from everything else. Especially when it feels like you are eating all....day....long.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
I might be all alone on this one but I do believe brief spurts of high-intensity cardio a few times a week help with recovery, especially with leg routines. I'm also a firm believer of stretch in between sets, as it really does get the blood flowing and increases my pumps while training and in the case for my legs it literally reduces all DOMS to almost nothing.

Keep doing what you are doing and it'll come around. Stopped gaining weight? Add 200 calories/day for another week and see if lbs increase. Usually, you'll have to keep doing this to manufacture new muscle. Remember, it takes alot more calories to manufacture a lb of muscle than to maintain a lb ofmuscle.
Yeah I need to start adding HIIT to my routine. I'm getting a bit of belly fat and while I fully expected it, did not expect it to come so soon. As I said earlier, I've never dieted so I would have to learn as I go. Adding HIIT, as I've read, would keep things at bay a bit.

You were reading my mind regarding the stretching. I've noticed that I've been a lot tighter since I started lifting harder. Particularly with legs. I felt real tight doing squats on wednesday. Lower back was pumped (and not in a good way). I went lower than usual, so I'm thinking I was using my back more because my legs were not stretched properly. I had to wait a few minutes after squatting to resume the workout.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I need to start adding HIIT to my routine. I'm getting a bit of belly fat and while I fully expected it, did not expect it to come so soon. As I said earlier, I've never dieted so I would have to learn as I go. Adding HIIT, as I've read, would keep things at bay a bit.

You were reading my mind regarding the stretching. I've noticed that I've been a lot tighter since I started lifting harder. Particularly with legs. I felt real tight doing squats on wednesday. Lower back was pumped (and not in a good way). I went lower than usual, so I'm thinking I was using my back more because my legs were not stretched properly. I had to wait a few minutes after squatting to resume the workout.
I have the exact same problem with barbell squats. So, I make an effort to wear the belt tight, roll the bar further down my back and do my best to focus entirely on flexing my abs through the whole movement. It's pathetic. My legs are good for 375lbs deep but my lower back is only good for about 325lbs deep (1RM) with the current form I use.

However, as of last week I have focused on quad development so I am moving towards front squats and narrow stance leg presses/hack squats. I need bigger quads as my hams and glutes are far more developed due to tons of deep back squats over the past 6 months.

And btw, I would eat like you normally do and add a cheat meal out at a restaurant or something for the next few days to add additional calories with ease. This will recharge your metabolism and get you eating more again. I feel ya on the eating problem though. It almost feels like you have an eating disorder. I'm right about the same exact weight, and in order to pack on weight I have to eat 3200-3400 calories per day. And thats only good til about 165lbs or so then I have to charge up again close to 4000 calories. To be 180lbs at my weight means 4800-5000 calories per day..geeze.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Didn't have time to update today. Weighed in this morning at 161 lbs. One lb gain this week. Very happy as my original goal was 1 lb per week to mitigate fat gain.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
I feel ya on the eating problem though. It almost feels like you have an eating disorder. I'm right about the same exact weight, and in order to pack on weight I have to eat 3200-3400 calories per day. And thats only good til about 165lbs or so then I have to charge up again close to 4000 calories. To be 180lbs at my weight means 4800-5000 calories per day..geeze.
Eating disorder! lol

Yeah people at work think I have an obsession with food. I probably do by now. I have a couple of 15 minute breaks aside from my lunch. I gorge a full meal in each of those 15 minutes. The other day a lady was watching me eat. She had this look on her face like she had never seen anything like it. Pure shock. I would have slowed down but I only had a few more minutes to finish it off.

5000 cals huh? damn

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Didn't have time to update today. Weighed in this morning at 161 lbs. One lb gain this week. Very happy as my original goal was 1 lb per week to mitigate fat gain.
Full update:

Weight - 161
Gain - 1lbs

Summary - Cals remained at 4,000 each day (including the weekend). Workouts stayed the same. Slowly getting stronger on lifts across the board and feel more energy throughout the workout. Legs are getting stronger, which is great.

Observations - I kept diet and exercise consistent throughout the week to see why I only seem to gain on the weekends. Only change, diet-wise, was that I did not have at least a full gallon of water on Saturday. The only thing I can think of is that sleep quality is better on the weekends. I get a full 8 hrs vs 5-6 hrs on the weekdays.

Plan is to maintain caloric level at 4,000. Will leave macros as is for now. Must try to improve sleep...

B

Boson3

Awards
Damn unlucky man... I've had that happen too when my bike chains broke and I walked 5 miles to work.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Damn unlucky man... I've had that happen too when my bike chains broke and I walked 5 miles to work.
It was actually a huge pain in the ass. Fortunately, I've been so busy with everything else that I haven't made a big stink about it. They fixed my truck....the wrong way. Truck ran like **** and when I took it back they didn't want to claim responsibility. Said something like it couldn't have been the accident. I wanted to choke slam those mothers. Ended up taking it to the dealer on my own dime and that's when they pointed out all the Chinese aftermarket crap they used. Then they acknowledged the issue, but refused to replace all the parts with factory parts. Only wanted to replace the problem parts. They ended up using factory parts, but I have no way of knowing to what extent. Already have the truck back and it runs good as new...at least for now. I keep my cars for 10+ years. I know something will pop up a couple years from now.

Regarding the bike....try doing that on a cruiser. Went out for a ride by myself a few years ago. Bike stopped running about 15 miles into it. Thought it was a bad battery. Had to leave my bike somewhere in order to go home and get my tools. So had to push it 5 miles or so until I got to a shopping center with decent traffic. Pushing a 750 lb bike for 5 miles is a bitch!!! And remember, I'm a small guy, no 200 pounder here.

Was dealing with that the whole day and well into the night. Turned out it was just out of gas (no fuel gauge). Sold it not too long ago. Spent more time and money keeping it running than enjoying it...

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Must try to improve sleep...
Update:

I've been playing with my daily routine a bit over the last few months in order to squeeze some more sleep time each night. I've let my beard grow, have breakfast on the way to work, cooking my meals in bulk, etc etc...

But this week I decided to make a more drastic change. I've never been a morning person so have always lifted in the evenings after work. The few times that I've tried the morning bit, it has only lasted a few weeks. But this time I'm 100% committed.

Today was Day 1. Leg day. Great day to start. (not really). Woke up at 5am, had some oatmeal, raisins, and coffee. Expected to hit the weights light, but decided to make it worthwhile. So I made it a regular workout. I actually pulled a bit more on my deads, which was nice.

Goal is to be in bed and asleep by 10:30 the latest. This would equate to 6.5 hrs of sleep on workout days but a full 8.0 hrs on rest days. Right now I only get 6 hrs of sleep each night.

I will definitely need a sleep supp since wifey does not go to sleep at that time and makes a hell of a lot of noise. Used a sleeping pill last night, but don't want to rely on those long term.

I'll be perusing the forums for reputable sleep supps. In the meantime, I welcome any suggestions.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Did a quick weigh in today seeing that we are heading into the weekend.

Scale read 159.5

1.5 lb loss.

I weighed myself 3 times. Not sure what's going on. Definitely feel the workouts are hard. Macros are being met. Only variables are that I've put in some long hours this week at work and I had one workout in the AM before work.

Hopefully it's a blip. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit disappointed. If it stays the same by Sunday, calories will be increased.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Since i lost weight i went ahead and increased cals to 4200 yesterday.

Weighed in this morning at 159.0

Loss of 0.5 lbs

Had another AM workout yesterday, so it seems like that boosts my metabolism for the rest of the day. I'm also crapping a whole lot more than i was the first month and a half of my bulk. Not sure why the sudden change.

Plan for the week:
- continue AM workouts
- increase cals to 4200 on rest days
- increase cals to 4400 on lift days

Current macros are about 50% carbs 30% pro 20% fats

It will be a struggle for me getting all that in before 9:30pm. I just ordered a sleep supp that will work better on an empty stomach.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Correction.

Current macros are about 50% carbs 20% pro 30% fats.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Strength training might be your answer.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Fueled - my workouts have always been based on increasing weights / reps. When I plateau, I change things up a bit (exercises, rep tempo, rep range, etc). So I'm not just doing the same routine day in and day out. Having said that, I am willing to give a more structured program a try. I am looking into Wendler's 5-3-1 program since it is easier to follow and I can easily transition to it.

I know strength and size go hand in hand, but my question is should I follow a strength program, when my main goal is hypertrophy? I've noticed better results when I keep my reps between 6 and 10.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fueled - my workouts have always been based on increasing weights / reps. When I plateau, I change things up a bit (exercises, rep tempo, rep range, etc). So I'm not just doing the same routine day in and day out. Having said that, I am willing to give a more structured program a try. I am looking into Wendler's 5-3-1 program since it is easier to follow and I can easily transition to it.

I know strength and size go hand in hand, but my question is should I follow a strength program, when my main goal is hypertrophy? I've noticed better results when I keep my reps between 6 and 10.
Ok, just a suggestion. I have had to recently move to a 5 rep or less routine. This is mainly because I have trained in the 6-12 rep range for well over 3 years now with only making changes to exercises, pace of workout (rest period), order of exercises and sets. Volume, while varied, always stayed on the higher side and always worked up to 75-80% of my 1RM. Needless to say, my muscles needed to experience something fresh.

Pure powerlifting style is what I'm trying now. Actually, its kinda both powerlifting and bodybuilding. It's Powerbuilding to be exact. My main workout is a core movement like squats in which I perform 7 sets of 2 reps then I move to leg press or something of that nature and pump out 5 sets in the 6-10 rep range.

Previously, I had always had more reps than I did sets. Now I've flipped it, which is now more sets than reps. The difference? Before, I was squatting between 225 - 275lbs, and getting a hardcore cardio session (burning a ton of calories). Now, I'm training in the 275 - 350lbs range for squats and in a fairly calm manner. I like it for a change of pace. It really is a lot easier for me to lift big and take my time rather than blowing through a workout at 75% throttle.

So you could say I went from a circuit track to a drag strip. Balls-to-the-wall, 10 seconds at a time...

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, i've been forced to take a short break. My mom has been in the hospital since last week. I was able to squeeze a workout in on Saturday but not sure if it was even worth it since i have not had a decent nights rest and its been hard to follow my meal plans. I'm not tracking macros so not sure whether i'm at maintenance. On a positive note, the hospital food is pretty damn good!! Or maybe my cooking has no taste :)

I lost a bit of motivation at first. TBH, even before the hospital stay. Guess i needed a break from eating so much of the same foods. But i'm feeling anxious to pick it up where i left off.

So hopefully my mom will get better soon and be discharged. When she does, I'll start 5-3-1 and throw in some cardio once a week.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
shoot for more quantity- "clean" gains are myth perpetuated by supplement compnaies, unless you want to devote 9 months or more to gaining 10lbs of "muscle" only... just focus on getting bigger, then let your metabolism due the work of cleaning you up.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
shoot for more quantity- "clean" gains are myth perpetuated by supplement compnaies, unless you want to devote 9 months or more to gaining 10lbs of "muscle" only... just focus on getting bigger, then let your metabolism due the work of cleaning you up.
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying go all out on the cals? If so, i'm not sure how much higher i can go using healthy foods. I've been thinking about having a cheat meal on workout days to make it easier.

I have never cut so my concern is adding too much fat too fast and then screwing up my gains when its time to lose the fat.

Correction - my only experience with cutting was when my wife was trying to lose her pregnancy weight. Did the south beach diet. Worked fairly well.

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
Mom was just discharged last night from the hospital. Today is the bday party for my youngest so the wifey will have me working all day.

I was thinking of starting up again tomorrow, but by the end of the day, i'll probably be completely beat up.