Hardgainer's Clean Bulking Log

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by peter01 View Post
    Fueled - my workouts have always been based on increasing weights / reps. When I plateau, I change things up a bit (exercises, rep tempo, rep range, etc). So I'm not just doing the same routine day in and day out. Having said that, I am willing to give a more structured program a try. I am looking into Wendler's 5-3-1 program since it is easier to follow and I can easily transition to it.

I know strength and size go hand in hand, but my question is should I follow a strength program, when my main goal is hypertrophy? I've noticed better results when I keep my reps between 6 and 10.
    Ok, just a suggestion. I have had to recently move to a 5 rep or less routine. This is mainly because I have trained in the 6-12 rep range for well over 3 years now with only making changes to exercises, pace of workout (rest period), order of exercises and sets. Volume, while varied, always stayed on the higher side and always worked up to 75-80% of my 1RM. Needless to say, my muscles needed to experience something fresh.

Pure powerlifting style is what I'm trying now. Actually, its kinda both powerlifting and bodybuilding. It's Powerbuilding to be exact. My main workout is a core movement like squats in which I perform 7 sets of 2 reps then I move to leg press or something of that nature and pump out 5 sets in the 6-10 rep range.

Previously, I had always had more reps than I did sets. Now I've flipped it, which is now more sets than reps. The difference? Before, I was squatting between 225 - 275lbs, and getting a hardcore cardio session (burning a ton of calories). Now, I'm training in the 275 - 350lbs range for squats and in a fairly calm manner. I like it for a change of pace. It really is a lot easier for me to lift big and take my time rather than blowing through a workout at 75% throttle.

So you could say I went from a circuit track to a drag strip. Balls-to-the-wall, 10 seconds at a time...

2. Unfortunately, i've been forced to take a short break. My mom has been in the hospital since last week. I was able to squeeze a workout in on Saturday but not sure if it was even worth it since i have not had a decent nights rest and its been hard to follow my meal plans. I'm not tracking macros so not sure whether i'm at maintenance. On a positive note, the hospital food is pretty damn good!! Or maybe my cooking has no taste

I lost a bit of motivation at first. TBH, even before the hospital stay. Guess i needed a break from eating so much of the same foods. But i'm feeling anxious to pick it up where i left off.

So hopefully my mom will get better soon and be discharged. When she does, I'll start 5-3-1 and throw in some cardio once a week.
    •   

3. shoot for more quantity- "clean" gains are myth perpetuated by supplement compnaies, unless you want to devote 9 months or more to gaining 10lbs of "muscle" only... just focus on getting bigger, then let your metabolism due the work of cleaning you up.

4. Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    shoot for more quantity- "clean" gains are myth perpetuated by supplement compnaies, unless you want to devote 9 months or more to gaining 10lbs of "muscle" only... just focus on getting bigger, then let your metabolism due the work of cleaning you up.
    Not sure what you mean. Are you saying go all out on the cals? If so, i'm not sure how much higher i can go using healthy foods. I've been thinking about having a cheat meal on workout days to make it easier.

I have never cut so my concern is adding too much fat too fast and then screwing up my gains when its time to lose the fat.

Correction - my only experience with cutting was when my wife was trying to lose her pregnancy weight. Did the south beach diet. Worked fairly well.

5. Mom was just discharged last night from the hospital. Today is the bday party for my youngest so the wifey will have me working all day.

I was thinking of starting up again tomorrow, but by the end of the day, i'll probably be completely beat up.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Clean Bulk Vs Cutting
    By RLD in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM
  2. methyldien clean bulk
    By prld2gr8ns in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 07:59 AM
  3. Rtm's clean bulk attempt!
    By rtm in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 08:50 PM
  4. Advice on pre-w/o nutrition & clean bulk
    By Fury20 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 09:55 PM
  5. is there such thing as a "clean" bulk?
    By blackjack in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 09:43 PM