Calories on off days

Benjamin1

Awards
I'm supossed to be eating around 36-3700 calories a day to gain the weight I'm looking for.

Having said that, would I eat that much the day after a workout (I might do cardio/ might not)

Thanks!!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how much you're trying to gain or what your activity level is. When I first made my push past 200, I ate like that every day for the first bit until I had results then I tailored my caloric intake to be based around my activity level. I wouldn't drastically reduce calories on off days though. See how your body responds. I lifted yesterday and am squatting tomorrow so I'm keeping my calories up.

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
If you lower your cals on off days then you have to proportionally increase them on workout days. It does help to keep fat gain down as long as you don't drop cals too much. Basically remove the extra cals you'd normally burn from your workout.

Benjamin1

Awards
I don't know how much you're trying to gain or what your activity level is. When I first made my push past 200, I ate like that every day for the first bit until I had results then I tailored my caloric intake to be based around my activity level. I wouldn't drastically reduce calories on off days though. See how your body responds. I lifted yesterday and am squatting tomorrow so I'm keeping my calories up.
well when i first wake up, i am about 205lbs.... I want to get to about 215 then cut about 5-10 lbs this spring.

And i'm doing SL 5x5 program/ with cardio 3-4 timesa week (12-30 min each cardio session)

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I would say fluctuate on a daily basis. i.e. eat about 500+cal on your working out days, and be at a deficit of 500 on your off days.

67nova

Awards
Simplest thing to do,i do it is just to drop post meal and mybe drop some or add to pre meal,my post is around 500cals so i just drop that and limit fruit and adjust other meals depending on work being done that/those days.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Simplest thing to do,i do it is just to drop post meal and mybe drop some or add to pre meal,my post is around 500cals so i just drop that and limit fruit and adjust other meals depending on work being done that/those days.
I would not, under any circumstances, drop a post workout meal... that's when most of the nutrients will come from in regards to adding to your lean body mass and therefore build muscles. Not to mention it's when your body is the least likely to add any fat.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I would not, under any circumstances, drop a post workout meal... that's when most of the nutrients will come from in regards to adding to your lean body mass and therefore build muscles. Not to mention it's when your body is the least likely to add any fat.
He means not to have a post workout meal on non workout days

TexasGuy

Awards
Well this thread certainly leaves multiple doors open for disagreements given various schools of thought being applied to a general question but here is my take:

If you are intentionally adding calories pre-workout or are using a pre-workout supp loaded with calories, only drop those on non-training days.

Leave your general food intake alone. Recovery days cause the growth your work stimulated and you need to feed that growth.

Randomly downing some carbs on an off day over and above doesn't make sense though, you aren't fueling a training session above your normal intake.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
He means not to have a post workout meal on non workout days
Ok, confused on someone is going to have a "post workout meal" on a "non workout day".

xerbia

xerbia

Awards
I keep my calories the same throughout.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
I keep my calories the same. Once you find that diet sweet spot for your cals I dont think youll need to change it. Mine is 3500 training day and off day. Works like a charm to put on weight.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
Stay consistent and eat as much as you can everyday...its the commitment to the caloric number over time that yields the results.... I usually have a daily "goal weight" , and will not go to bed until I step on the scale and it says the right number, it alows you to be consistnet by having daily feedback on your diet.

Benjamin1

Awards
Okay awesome man. I appreciate that. I'll definitely have to use this advice!
and thanks for replying on a few others. I appreciate it brotherin

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well this thread certainly leaves multiple doors open for disagreements given various schools of thought being applied to a general question but here is my take:

If you are intentionally adding calories pre-workout or are using a pre-workout supp loaded with calories, only drop those on non-training days.

Leave your general food intake alone. Recovery days cause the growth your work stimulated and you need to feed that growth.

Randomly downing some carbs on an off day over and above doesn't make sense though, you aren't fueling a training session above your normal intake.
I agree. I keep my carb levels only to that in which my body needs them for exercise and a small amount extra for my brain. So I drop my carb imtake on off days but I do leave my overall calorie intake in excess to fuel recovery and growth.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Stay consistent and eat as much as you can everyday...its the commitment to the caloric number over time that yields the results.... I usually have a daily "goal weight" , and will not go to bed until I step on the scale and it says the right number, it alows you to be consistnet by having daily feedback on your diet.
Weighing daily isn't the best idea, considering normal weight fluctuations, water retention, bulk of last meal eaten and other factors play a role in the end of day scale weight.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've been known to weigh myself hourly...lol
Weighing that often is definitely not a good indicator of mass being put on or lost, as I mentioned before. Too many variables play a factor is weight at any given time of the day. The best way is early morning before any water or fluid ingestion, but even then weight can vary.

thomassj

Awards
I would say it depends at what level your muscle base is at. If your a beginner or intermediate I would keep calories the same every day as you can gain more muscle than someone who is at an advanced level and close to their natural limit in muscle, plus you grow when you rest.