Bulking in the military

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
So I may be joining the marine corps and I was wondering if the military will help someone bulk, I.e extra rations or a more tailored diet, to anyone in the services, any advice or answers?

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Not during basic, to much running.
But after basic.

Peace

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
During bootcamp if you are a super skinny bastard they put you on double rations and if you are a fat body they put you on half rations. If you are a normal healthy weight it just is what it is. Bootcamp is basic calisthenics, body weight strength and endurance. One you are in the fleet by all means eat however much you want.

Now, you will have access to various classes and resources for nutrition, exercise and what not, but as far as a tailored diet and meal prep that is a no. The onus is on you to achieve your goals. That being said in the fleet at the chow hall and stuff you are not limited in how much you can eat. If you want seconds and such, get up and get it.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
So I may be joining the marine corps and I was wondering if the military will help someone bulk, I.e extra rations or a more tailored diet, to anyone in the services, any advice or answers?
You're going to LOSE weight in boot. There's basically no way around it. Unless you're 6'3 150, they're not going to give you double rats. Even of they did, you'd run/IT it off. Either way man, being heavier is only going to Hurt your pull ups and run time. And Boot is when you want to be the MOST competitive.
If you want to be big, wait until after training. The Corps wants Captain America, not the hulk, you understand.

I'm a Cpl. Been in 3 yrs. love it. After training you have the chow hall and a state of the art gym at your disposal. Not to mention 35% off the G N C on base year round. Use that trash.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're going to LOSE weight in boot. There's basically no way around it. Unless you're 6'3 150, they're not going to give you double rats. Even of they did, you'd run/IT it off. Either way man, being heavier is only going to Hurt your pull ups and run time. And Boot is when you want to be the MOST competitive.
If you want to be big, wait until after training. The Corps wants Captain America, not the hulk, you understand.

I'm a Cpl. Been in 3 yrs. love it. After training you have the chow hall and a state of the art gym at your disposal. Not to mention 35% off the G N C on base year round. Use that trash.
I got double rats at 5'9" 145. Put on like 20 pound at OSUT, not much was muscle.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But they wont help you bulk at Boot. When out get out the DFAC or whatever the marines call it is all you can eat, you just have to get up and get back in line when you finish your first tray.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
But they wont help you bulk at Boot. When out get out the DFAC or whatever the marines call it is all you can eat, you just have to get up and get back in line when you finish your first tray.
Ahh. You're in another branch. I was like "WTf are these acronyms."

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OSUT?
Officer Selection I'm guessing?
One Station Unit Training.

Its what the army send infantry and Cav scouts to. Its basic and AIT done at the same time. For me it was 16 weeks of training instead of 9.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
One Station Unit Training.

Its what the army send infantry and Cav scouts to. Its basic and AIT done at the same time. For me it was 16 weeks of training instead of 9.
Okay. We have a 13 week bootcamp, then another 10 week school of infantry.
And you're not getting double rats for either. Lol. At SOI you have a little more freedom though. Keyword: little.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay. We have a 13 week bootcamp, then another 10 week school of infantry.
And you're not getting double rats for either. Lol. At SOI you have a little more freedom though. Keyword: little.
Yeah, you're supposed to get a little more freedom during the last 5 weeks but it never happens lol.

Our DS just walked by and told all the skinny guys they are eating double rats....

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Judging by the OP avatar pic, he won't be on double rats for sure. Fair amount % wise do though (The real skinny bastards), but more get put on half rats 'cause they are fat bodies..lol

I've worked MCRD West for quite awhile and had to sign off on all of their medical screenings to be put on half or double rats.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Judging by the OP avatar pic, he won't be on double rats for sure. Fair amount % wise do though (The real skinny bastards), but more get put on half rats 'cause they are fat bodies..lol

I've worked MCRD West for quite awhile and had to sign off on all of their medical screenings to be put on half or double rats.
They still do half rats? They weren't able to put anyone on half rats when I went through.

Although I am sure you are right about OP not getting double rats.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They still do half rats? They weren't able to put anyone on half rats when I went through.

Although I am sure you are right about OP not getting double rats.

Well, they were when I left MCRD at the end of 2008. So, as for right now I couldn't say.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why wouldn't I be put on double rats?
Because you aren't borderline underweight for your height. That is the only way you get double rats at BCT is when you are almost underweight and you need to gain weight to stay in the military.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
They do still do half rats. It's freaking hilarious. See kids trying to sneak that peanut butter.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In all seriousness though. Boot camp and SOI are just a temporary short term deal. You'll survive and be able to work towards your athletic goals in the fleet.

ShockTroop

ShockTroop

Banned
Awards
In all seriousness though. Boot camp and SOI are just a temporary short term deal. You'll survive and be able to work towards your athletic goals in the fleet.
Truth^