Away with whey

bowhunter

Awards
I'm sure most of you know this

And it's MORE than simple, but why spend 30+ dollars on protein at your local nutritional store when you can go to the dollar general store and get the same if not better results
Granted body fat comes into effect with some people on what they consume
But, if your looking for a good post workout protein shake that won't break your wallet
Here is all you need

Oats:
Go buy yourself some quick oats
Half a cup of whole grain oats = 5g of protein

Peanut butter:
Yes, fatty, but high In protein. 2 tablespoons = 7g of protein

Last but not least,
Milk:
I prefer to use 2% milk, which is 8g of protein per cup
Use 2 cups and that's 16g of protein and a good source of well needed calcium after a workout.

Stick it all In a blender and you've done it
A protein shake that's easy on the wallet that weighs In at 28g of total protein
The peanut butter is a natural sweetener that really makes this drink taste very well considering other shakes and post workouts

For added potassium and flavor
You can also add a banana that makes it somewhat sweeter and tastes very good

Hey, the economy is DOWN, and it's a method that you can see tremendous results In gaining bulk, and on financial points as well

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
28 grams of protein is no where near enough, IMO, I'd be curious to see your routine/numbers, also you'll never get people to stop using whey, a post workout needs fast dissolving proteins, whey is perfect for this, while milk has whey(20%) compared to the 80% of casein and the slow peanut butter and incomplete protein of the oats, which, to my knowledge, lacks 2 of the essential amino acids, then you'll understand why shelling out 30 bucks is necessary

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
or you can take all that and then add a scoop of protein as a personalized gainer with over 50g protein. thats what i do on the rare occasions when i actually use protein powder

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Yes but all of that still being in there is not beneficial, you're better off with orange juice, fruits, whey protein, creatine

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Yes but all of that still being in there is not beneficial, you're better off with orange juice, fruits, whey protein, creatine
Agree...I see what your saying about saving some money, but I never spend 30 bucks on whey...the whey I buy is 10-12 servings 30 g per serving for 10 dollars...I don't give in to that expensive b.s. with that 30 dollars you think you have to spend I spend the remaining 20 on whole foods...as it's already been stated the oats,pb, and milk is to slow to digest after an intense workout...whey, oj, and some honey does the trick...I like your idea because I use that for a snack between meals, but if you see results from that, then by all means keep doing it

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
I actually do the half gomad diet plus a metric f*** ton of food and it works lol

boogyman

Awards
Milk is awesome. I sometimes actually use it to control my bulk. Once your maintenance is figured out, just add a few glasses of milk to it, and bam, bulk. One quart of milk is 600 calories, and you can get that by just drinking a glass between meals. I do that and add an extra meal to workout days and bulk quite nicely.

I prefer to keep things simple, not go crazy planning things out and interfering with the other things and goals in my life. I do also use whey in the morning as my schedule is very hectic and I don't have a lot of time to eat an early meal. A shake and a banana and I am out the door to work post workout.

TexasGuy

Awards
If you are eating every few hours and your meals consist of your daily macros broken down in to each one, you will constantly have amino acids circulating anyways, negating a need for pre, peri and post workout supplementation altogether.

Whey has it's place though; when you can't get a meal down, have calorie restrictions but need a certain level of protein et cetera. Otherwise, food is the basis for supplements to begin with.

And just for fun, "Milk is for babies!"... 10 internet points for whoever can identify the quote.

* FTR, I drink milk. And whey for calorie restricted protein needs. But not as a general practice when I can just eat.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
If you are eating every few hours and your meals consist of your daily macros broken down in to each one, you will constantly have amino acids circulating anyways, negating a need for pre, peri and post workout supplementation altogether.

Whey has it's place though; when you can't get a meal down, have calorie restrictions but need a certain level of protein et cetera. Otherwise, food is the basis for supplements to begin with.

And just for fun, "Milk is for babies!"... 10 internet points for whoever can identify the quote.

* FTR, I drink milk. And whey for calorie restricted protein needs. But not as a general practice when I can just eat.

Arnold said milk is for babies I'm pretty sure...and agreed about the meals

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I think he also said beer is for men ha...I love milk especially during the winter when I'm bulking...I really don't think some people realize how important food is...they just assume supplements will get you where you want to be...I finished a superdrol cycle several months ago and since my bulk I look like I'm still on....I haven't touched supplements except whey for months...

TexasGuy

Awards
I think he also said beer is for men ha...I love milk especially during the winter when I'm bulking...I really don't think some people realize how important food is...they just assume supplements will get you where you want to be...I finished a superdrol cycle several months ago and since my bulk I look like I'm still on....I haven't touched supplements except whey for months...
Yeah, well, he was from a germanic culture after all. :dunno:

I think people buy too much in to the hype around supplements without analyzing where the supps are derived from to begin with. Every advertisement written up promoting a bulk powder can be applied to a meal made up of whole foods for example. And whole foods don't need to advertise added vitamins and nutrients because they weren't processed out to begin with.

Understanding supplements for what they are allows a successful and effective supplement protocol. There is no legitimate need for protein powder outside of reaching macros on a calorie restriction for example. Or convenience where a meal or snack isn't possible.

Some supps have their useful place though, imo. Creatine is on my list. Eating the required amount of beef every day to get my 5 grams just isn't feasable so I supplement my diet. I'm not a huge fan of pro-hormones or steroids personally but they absolutely increase protein synthesis (if the necessary fuel is provided). That said, unless your diet and routine are absolutely dialed in, you are short changing yourself on a cycle and wont really see gains over and above what a dialed in diet and routine would give. Taken in an appropriate scenario though, they certainly are short cuts to hyooge.

TexasGuy

Awards
Furthermore, it's interesting how people demonize processed and refined foods and then get all googly eyed for supplements which are.... processed and refined foods. They just happen to have a positive connotation given the marketing.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Half the people on here probably do not practice what they preach

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dollar per gram of protein, I actually think whey is less expensive than milk.

28 grams of protein is no where near enough, IMO, I'd be curious to see your routine/numbers, also you'll never get people to stop using whey, a post workout needs fast dissolving proteins, whey is perfect for this, while milk has whey(20%) compared to the 80% of casein and the slow peanut butter and incomplete protein of the oats, which, to my knowledge, lacks 2 of the essential amino acids, then you'll understand why shelling out 30 bucks is necessary
Actually, there isn't much research to show that you need more than 20 grams of whey post workout. The rate of protein synthesis appears to top out at 20 g in young men...If you are elderly, then 40 grams is superior to 20.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22313809

Also, given the absorption rate of whey protein and then the typical whole food meal 1-2 hours later, a whey/casien mix appears to be superior to whey alone for maintaining the anabolic response:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22569072

Finally, what do numbers and routine have to do with the validity of his suggestion??

I think people buy too much in to the hype around supplements without analyzing where the supps are derived from to begin with. Every advertisement written up promoting a bulk powder can be applied to a meal made up of whole foods for example. And whole foods don't need to advertise added vitamins and nutrients because they weren't processed out to begin with.

Understanding supplements for what they are allows a successful and effective supplement protocol. There is no legitimate need for protein powder outside of reaching macros on a calorie restriction for example. Or convenience where a meal or snack isn't possible.
Good post, I agree ^^^

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Half the people on here probably do not practice what they preach
Wow.
I have to agree with you here. I definitaly don't follow 100% of the stuff I say. Well cept quality food, eat what YOU like, and train hard.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Texas I agree about the over exaggerated hype of supplements...most of it is just advertizment, yes I agree some are beneficial with proper diet..creatine being very effective ...as for cycles go point on, I see too many guys eating whatever they want and wonder why they aren't seeing gains.... I don't think the op reads this thread anymore ha

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
@zir red, the numbers and routines comment had to do with whether he is experiencing the success and results he is looking for to qualify him to make this claim, FTR not being accusatory or making a fighting claim

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Whey is good stuff!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
I have always used whey post workout...until the last month. I just recently finished running a log for Prosupps using their Karbolic. I ONLY used Karbolic post workout and then ate a whole food meal within 20 mins of the carbs. We've been doing a 5x5 routine and my recovery and stength gains have been excellent!! I have been lifting for 4-5 yrs. Not saying I know everything about nutrition, as we all continue to learn, but I will say I am having just as much luck taking in a carb blend and whole meal as I was using whey post workout

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Hmm may have to try that I like the idea of just whole food right now I'm using a quick shake and then whole food just not really hungry immediately after a hard workout.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hmm may have to try that I like the idea of just whole food right now I'm using a quick shake and then whole food just not really hungry immediately after a hard workout.
Whole food is a better choice and I stopped using powders for a long time till recently. Now I keep some pro in my work truck for a quick shake when I'm on a time crunch

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Yeah I wait tables so eating during the rush is difficult which is why I use protein shakes

binkley23

binkley23

Awards
Arnold never said milk is for babies.... If you ever read his auto biography then you would know that the first bulking diet in it requires you to drink 11 glasses of milk a day through a six meal regimen

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Arnold never said milk is for babies.... If you ever read his auto biography then you would know that the first bulking diet in it requires you to drink 11 glasses of milk a day through a six meal regimen
Maybe for his bulk diet but def not for everybody

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you ever watched pumping iron (at least I believe that was where the quote is from) he says that milk is for babies and that when you're a man you drink beer.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
That quote is used in dang near every thread with milk mentioned in it

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you ever watched pumping iron (at least I believe that was where the quote is from) he says that milk is for babies and that when you're a man you drink beer.
Yep, you can google it...

Milk tears me up. I can take it in moderation. Milk protein isolate if I take a few lactose tabs prior.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Really? Watch pumping iron then rethink what you just said

binkley23

binkley23

Awards
He was joking in the movie. It's on record with him saying that plus through the whole mid 70s he was stoned all the time you can hear him laugh... Not saying its for everyone but milk is a very decent way to bulk

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He was joking in the movie. It's on record with him saying that plus through the whole mid 70s he was stoned all the time you can hear him laugh... Not saying its for everyone but milk is a very decent way to bulk
My point was not whether he meant it as a joke or not. You said that "Arnold never said milk was for babies" and I merely pointed out that he did say it in pumping iron.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Your body does not need fast disolving proteins post workout.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You can certainly get by with what the original poster said, but hey..I like whey blends for the convenience and I can afford them at the moment. They work. Milk and whole foods certainly work (which I also use). Use what works for you and your lifestyle.

And Arnold liked to joke around with BBing tips to mess with people's minds. He is wrong about beer though. Hard liquor is for real men. If you're going to imbibe alcohol...get it done.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure most of you know this

And it's MORE than simple, but why spend 30+ dollars on protein at your local nutritional store when you can go to the dollar general store and get the same if not better results
Granted body fat comes into effect with some people on what they consume
But, if your looking for a good post workout protein shake that won't break your wallet
Here is all you need

Oats:
Go buy yourself some quick oats
Half a cup of whole grain oats = 5g of protein

Peanut butter:
Yes, fatty, but high In protein. 2 tablespoons = 7g of protein

Last but not least,
Milk:
I prefer to use 2% milk, which is 8g of protein per cup
Use 2 cups and that's 16g of protein and a good source of well needed calcium after a workout.

Stick it all In a blender and you've done it
A protein shake that's easy on the wallet that weighs In at 28g of total protein
The peanut butter is a natural sweetener that really makes this drink taste very well considering other shakes and post workouts

For added potassium and flavor
You can also add a banana that makes it somewhat sweeter and tastes very good

Hey, the economy is DOWN, and it's a method that you can see tremendous results In gaining bulk, and on financial points as well
One word - Costco

$45, 72 servings, 27g protein per serving, only 2.5g fat and 3g carbs. Full amino acid complex inluding BCAA's, unlike peanut butter & oats.

Granted, I mix my protein with oats all the time.