Bulking macros

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
So I've done a few cycles before, one being ridiculously successful and others being not so much, I am currently 171 (so I'm stating I'm not the guy that you should take advice from lol) but at my largest I was 181 with a 4% body fat, currently I'm at 5.2%. I feel quite bloated and sluggish with too high carbs, so my question: has anyone had success implementing a lower carb diet for bulking? I'm thinking like 30 percent carbs and somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 percent protein. The remainder (25%) being fats, sound feasible? Or a better idea?

murk01

murk01

Awards
So I've done a few cycles before, one being ridiculously successful and others being not so much, I am currently 171 (so I'm stating I'm not the guy that you should take advice from lol) but at my largest I was 181 with a 4% body fat, currently I'm at 5.2%. I feel quite bloated and sluggish with too high carbs, so my question: has anyone had success implementing a lower carb diet for bulking? I'm thinking like 30 percent carbs and somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 percent protein. The remainder (25%) being fats, sound feasible? Or a better idea?
how u get ur bf so low

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't believe those bf measurements. How were they done?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Part of that is just that I'm naturally really lean, the other aspect though is that while I hate running I do some very intense cardio in the form of either Muay Thai workouts or some other form of mma that I'm familiar with, currently I'm not doing any cardio, but instead I get it through my workout, big fan of Olympic lifts, and total body routines, I leave the gym feeling great and covered in sweat. But if you have a natural struggle maintaining low body fat id recommend the total body Olympic lifts and mma workouts

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Response to Jim Buick, I use the bio electrical impedance measurement, I believe that's pretty accurate, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but the calipers never seemed to be as accurate

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
For fear of getting off topic though, the reason I started this thread, anyone have some advice on a lower carb bulking diet?

murk01

murk01

Awards
For fear of getting off topic though, the reason I started this thread, anyone have some advice on a lower carb bulking diet?
carbs is really the main factor in bulking. as long as ur getting 1-1.5 g protein, u fill the rest with cabs.

not sure of macros its like about 30% 3 way split. u can lower fats more for added carbs. but u cant spare carbs on a bulk

u can try carb cycling...

celz... is the guy to consult as far as diets

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carb backloading may be something you could look into.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Response to Jim Buick, I use the bio electrical impedance measurement, I believe that's pretty accurate, if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but the calipers never seemed to be as accurate
it isn't very accurate, assuming you use the household variety. The only reason I say that its doubtful is that that is about the least amount you can have and is a fairly unhealthy number to sit at for long periods of time.

Essential fat in males is like 3-5%.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Well yeah I know the essential levels, mine isn't exactly the household variety but I'm not sure it promises more than like 75 percent accuracy, that being said the veins across my chest and traps are clearly visible (only when flexed for the traps)

murk01

murk01

Awards
thats nice . im cutting like a mofo. down to about 9%. i might have to stop. im way to skinny. but still no six pack wtf.
i think my abs are just to under developed to show

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
The fat stores and deposits are genetic but if you feel you haven't built up your core, I would recommend Russian leg lifts and finger tip planks for a few weeks, then the dragon flag, kind of like a leg lift but you lift your body using your core strength until just the high point of your shoulders are in contact with the floor and the rest of your body is in the air as high as you can hold

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Electrical impedance is highly inaccurate; they're usually in the 5-7% area of inaccuracy.

Bulking is about caloric surplus and not specific macros.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Oh okay I didn't realize they're that inaccurate, any ideas as far as a reliable way to gauge the bf%? Also thanks for the response to the question

Hawk87

Hawk87

Awards
Go by the mirror look. This is from shelby starnes but he always said you should be able to see the outline of your abs. If you lose that you're gaining too much fat.
Or just remember you can't flex fat so if you flex and don't see anything, you're gaining too quick

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
30% is HIGH!!!!!! you can do it on <10% :lol:

I'm working with about 45-45-10 right now p-f-c. I have refeeds every week. Gaining just fine...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
30% is HIGH!!!!!! you can do it on <10% :lol:

I'm working with about 45-45-10 right now p-f-c. I have refeeds every week. Gaining just fine...
Im a firm believer that if ones pro and fats are in check then high carbs arent necessary to make decent gains bad thing is im a simple carb addict

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bad thing is im a simple carb addict
So true....so soooo true. I had some cheese cake last night at the end of my load(after a 10day depletion). Waking up this morning and seeing PB M&M's (which have been there the past 3 mornings) were calling me. I wanted to smash a handful so bad, I'm winning right now. See how the rest of the day goes....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
So true....so soooo true. I had some cheese cake last night at the end of my load(after a 10day depletion). Waking up this morning and seeing PB M&M's (which have been there the past 3 mornings) were calling me. I wanted to smash a handful so bad, I'm winning right now. See how the rest of the day goes....
Sometimes losing is winning :)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the majority of people that bulk up are too afraid to eat fats and that hinders their results. It took me forever to break 200lbs and it's because I was only taking in 50-70g of fat and an obnoxious amount of carbs. I don't feel bad using Italian dressing anymore.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Right now I'm eating between 100 and 150 gramsof fat.

Dust8713

Dust8713

Awards
This is a great thread! I am currently ending my bulk (182-185 down to 165 today). I started is August of 2012 and lost a pound a week. Now I am currently reverse dieting to a bulk and maintaining macros based on IIFYM. I wanted to post because I didn't see anyone answer your question about an accurate way to measure body fat %. My gf bought me the Omron in home scale that tests everything from bf, to visceral fat, to bmr using electrical impulses from a hand held unit to your feet while standing on the scale. Right now it measures me at 15%...very inaccurate because my lean body mass is 153. The easiest and one of the most accurate ways I have found to measure body fat is with skin calipers. You can buy a cheapy caliper on amazon.com for $20, then just google body fat calculator. The more areas you measure on your body the more accurate the %. At a 3 point measure I am currently 8% (chest 4mm, umbilicus 14mm, mid thigh 8mm).

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
you can make up the caloric difference needed for bulking with fats...I know some guys use MCT oil for bulking to great effect...personally I use peanut oil when I bulk... as long as you gradually up the amounts every few days then there shouldnt be too much digestion issues...also taking an emulsifier like lecithin is a good idea.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so lets say you are aiming for 4000-45000 cals a day but u wanna do low carbs say 100-150 on low days (carb cycling) would u do like 2 lb bodyweight protein and the rest fats? or even more protein?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Electrical impedance is highly inaccurate; they're usually in the 5-7% area of inaccuracy.

Bulking is about caloric surplus and not specific macros.
By making that statement you inevitably become biased towards fats for the majority of your calories. I agree that weight gain & weight loss amounts to calories in/calories out concept but I also know from experience that it isn't that simple. Some macros are more effective than others depending on the goal in mind (ie. muscle building or fat loss)

But again, you are correct in that a surplus causes gain (but not necessarily muscle or fat exclusively)

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are an ecto like me, you might could start here:

22 calories per lb of mass
1.25g protein per lb of mass
2:1 ratio carbs to protein
20% dietary fats
Anything else in supplementary fats like MCT, Coconut or Peanut oil (I prefer MCT's)

So mine looks like this as an example:

162lbs X 22 = 3564
162lbs X 1.25 = 203g protein = 203 X 4 = 812 calories
203 X 2 = 406g carbs = 406 X 4 = 1624 calories
3564 X .2 = 713 calories in fats OR 713/9 ~ 79g fats
The rest in supplemental fats like MCT's.

Protein - 812 kcal, Carbs - 1624 kcal, Fats - 713 kcal, MCT - 400 kcal (4 TBSP's)

P - 22.8%
C - 45.6%
F - 20%
SF - 11.6%

If you aren't as ecto as me you can lower the carbs and up the protein, bringing them closer to a 1:1 ratio to avoid fat gain. If you eat every meal with a strong presence of each macro, you'll reduce the likelihood of causing insulin spikes, thus, avoiding fat deposits, diabetic tendencies and in general it provides a more sustained energy level throughout the day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bulking 10
big_pete Bulking 20
u_e_s_i Nutrition / Health 7
Bulking 1
Bulking 20