High Sets/Low Reps? Pyramid? ...?

Benjamin1

Awards
Hello all,

I am trying to put on good healthy muscle mass. I am not bothered if I gain some fat, for I know how to burn it off come spring.

However, my question is, If I am trying to reach this goal of healthy mass gain should I do high sets/low reps, pyramid, or what?!?!

Everywhere I read there is something different. For example,

*I've heard 8-12 reps is the best for your body to grow

*I've heard High sets/Low reps is the best

*I've heard 4 sets of 3 exercises doing 10reps, 8reps, 6reps, 6reps

I'm already well aware that calorie intake is a big factor, but as far as the weight lifting goes someone PLEASE help me out

Thanks!!!!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There's no magic number, have to experiment and change things up.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Hello all,

I am trying to put on good healthy muscle mass. I am not bothered if I gain some fat, for I know how to burn it off come spring.

However, my question is, If I am trying to reach this goal of healthy mass gain should I do high sets/low reps, pyramid, or what?!?!

Everywhere I read there is something different. For example,

*I've heard 8-12 reps is the best for your body to grow

*I've heard High sets/Low reps is the best

*I've heard 4 sets of 3 exercises doing 10reps, 8reps, 6reps, 6reps

I'm already well aware that calorie intake is a big factor, but as far as the weight lifting goes someone PLEASE help me out

Thanks!!!!
Like Aaron said experiment with it, both higher rep and lower rep protocols have mass building adaptation associated with them. I have found for me a mix of the two with emphasis on a rep range of 3-6 but with some exercises done 12-20 has worked best. It should be noted though that 95% of my working sets are done to failure.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be honest, both rep ranges work best. You have two types of muscle fibers: fast twitch and slow twitch that are hit by different rep ranges. For me I like to keep it around 8-12 and have a 5 minute burn set of doing 15+ reps a set for 5 mins as many as possible and its been keeping.me.sore. but you have to expirment
I know that I worked out in the 3-5 rep range and noticed no change and.then switched to the higherish ranges of 9+ and.noticed I started gaining.mass. every body is different

dcne02

Awards
  • Established
Use all rep ranges - I reverse pyramid 3-5, 6-8, 10, 12 lowering the weight 10-15% each set. Works really well for me.

Benjamin1

Awards
I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to just have to experiment myself.

I've been doing pyramids lately and my strength is rising but my mass really isn't....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use low rep compound sets and constant tension reps for finishers. depending on what muscle i use determines the rep range. rear delts and calves for me are high rep sets, 12-15

jwal

Awards
I've read a ton of different stuff to man it's makes Me very indecisive but I read something that stuck with Me it said something like your fast twitch muscles are the ones that grow the most and are the muscles that work in the low heavy Rep ranges so I emphasize on my six Rep Max and just keep adding weight to the bar but every four or six weeks I'll do higher Rep stuff for a full week to really get the burn and allow my connective tissue some time to catch up to my strength gains

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
i do reps of 12-15 for biceps, delts, and calves and do 6 sets, then for all the other muscle groups i do 8 sets of 8.

Benjamin1

Awards
I've read a ton of different stuff to man it's makes Me very indecisive but I read something that stuck with Me it said something like your fast twitch muscles are the ones that grow the most and are the muscles that work in the low heavy Rep ranges so I emphasize on my six Rep Max and just keep adding weight to the bar but every four or six weeks I'll do higher Rep stuff for a full week to really get the burn and allow my connective tissue some time to catch up to my strength gains

That makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna start that monday. I appreciate it man!!

jwal

Awards
No problem man good luck you should check out wannabebig they have a TON of great reading and a bad ass program to follow