Will too much saturated fat add more fat to you?

Cokeboyz

Awards
Ive been looking all over for the answer to this but can't find it. I know too much isn't good for your heart, but will it also make you fatter or have a negative affect on your gains/ body comp in any way?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ive been looking all over for the answer to this but can't find it. I know too much isn't good for your heart, but will it also make you fatter or have a negative affect on your gains/ body comp in any way?
You've asked this exact same question before. The answers will be the same. Check the other thread you started with almost the same title as this one.

I get in around 20g of sat fat per day just FYI.

Cokeboyz

Awards
This one is talking about just saturated fat though

vassille

Awards

Who told you too much is not good for your heart?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

wrathchild281

Awards
yes. lol saturated fat man...not healthy efa's. How is this question even in negotiation. Have 50 grams of saturated fats ED and let us know how that turns to rock solid muscle. Get 2 it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
yes. lol saturated fat man...not healthy efa's. How is this question even in negotiation. Have 50 grams of saturated fats ED and let us know how that turns to rock solid muscle. Get 2 it
Care to explain how saturated fats get turned into fat faster than any other fat? Please, do try.Also, 50g of fats=450kcals. Hardly likely going to make you fat unless that puts you in extreme caloire excess..

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

wrathchild281

Awards
sure ill read up.. and im not comparing the two im referring to having a surplus of fat totals. 150g per day and more..

wrathchild281

Awards
and yes in my opinion i would never recommend high saturated fats in totals of 50g daily is far to much imo

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
and yes in my opinion i would never recommend high saturated fats in totals of 50g daily is far to much imo
Neither would I. 20g is what I aim for. It aids in testoterone production; I'm not advocating for you primary source of fats to come from saturated sources, rather I argue for them to not be discredited. 20-25g imo is enough.

wrathchild281

Awards
Neither would I. 20g is what I aim for. It aids in testoterone production; I'm not advocating for you primary source of fats to come from saturated sources, rather I argue for them to not be discredited. 20-25g imo is enough.
agreed. Spot on

vassille

Awards
Eating fats will only become a problem in the presence of excess carbohydrates mainly grains, sugars etc. Please do a through research before you start to sound like Ancel Keyes.

The reason nobody in the higher up in the FDA will ever change their tune about grains is that the economy will most likley collapse if they ever will accept the fact that they were wrong about grains and sugar. So it is smart to ignore their bias approach and think for yourself in terms of long term health.
We as humans should not be eating a so called perfect diet and have to take lipitor, high blood pressure or diabetic drugs. Just think about this...most eveyone eating grains has problems! Coincidence..heck no! It's reality. We shuld not eat an FDA suggested diet and need drugs!!!!;)

Cokeboyz

Awards
Okay my question still hasn't been answered. I wanna know if taking in like 75% of my fats as saturated will be worse for my gains than 75% unsaturated. Yes or no????

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
maybe indirectly in the sense that saturated fat ****s up your cholesterol levels and layers up in your arteries and veins

vassille

Awards
Okay my question still hasn't been answered. I wanna know if taking in like 75% of my fats as saturated will be worse for my gains than 75% unsaturated. Yes or no????
What's the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats?
you seem extremely confused of what fat is and you need to google it and post the answer then I will respond.

Cokeboyz

Awards
I guess I will never get a yes or no answer to this question lol. I'm gonna go with mostly unsaturated though. Better safe than sorry

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe indirectly in the sense that saturated fat ****s up your cholesterol levels and layers up in your arteries and veins
I eat bacon, butter, whole eggs, etc, lets just say a full happy assortment of saturated fats. I also don't do cardio. My cholesterol averages aroun 140 total, HDL around 50.

You have any evidence that saturated fat ****s up your cholesterol other than "everyone knows it does" ?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess I will never get a yes or no answer to this question lol. I'm gonna go with mostly unsaturated though. Better safe than sorry
you've gotten it. the answer is no. if you are eating 90g of fat a day, how its divided in saturated/unsaturated won't have anything to do with your muscle gains, or whether you add fat or lose fat.

vassille

Awards
I eat bacon, butter, whole eggs, etc, lets just say a full happy assortment of saturated fats. I also don't do cardio. My cholesterol averages aroun 140 total, HDL around 50.

You have any evidence that saturated fat ****s up your cholesterol other than "everyone knows it does" ?
It's very hard for many ppl to wrap their heads around the idea that eating fat is good for you and it taste better.
Btw im eating the same like you do, lots of saturated fat and my cholesterol is around 175 last time I checked it.
What's your triglycerides around 50 or lower?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's very hard for many ppl to wrap their heads around the idea that eating fat is good for you and it taste better.
Btw im eating the same like you do, lots of saturated fat and my cholesterol is around 175 last time I checked it.
What's your triglycerides around 50 or lower?
I know its under 70, but can't recall exactly

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

Awaiting your retort...

To the OP, too many calories, irregardless of source, is what will make you fat and not all saturated fats are created equal (e.g. EVCO vs lard).

wrathchild281

Awards
So ur stating that an extra few hundred calories in surplus from let's say carbs will make u gain a higher percentage of fat then u would see from downing a half a bottle of coconut olive oil? Disagree.. The carbs would energize and give a further ability to exercise with more intensity/longer duration. While what would a **** load of coconut olive oil do? Possibly a bit of energy as well but not my main choice for fuel. No "scientific" data here just personal exp. u have 20k posts so chances are u right about everything regarding everything..

wrathchild281

Awards
^Quick serious question regarding protein. Is extra protein that is not able to be absorbed and used just expelled or can ur body store it as fat? I believed it can't but have a brother who disagrees.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So ur stating that an extra few hundred calories in surplus from let's say carbs will make u gain a higher percentage of fat then u would see from downing a half a bottle of coconut olive oil? Disagree.. The carbs would energize and give a further ability to exercise with more intensity/longer duration. While what would a **** load of coconut olive oil do? Possibly a bit of energy as well but not my main choice for fuel. No "scientific" data here just personal exp. u have 20k posts so chances are u right about everything regarding everything..
A surplus is a surplus. You cannot point to one macronutrient and say that is the reason for fat accumulation. Most of the calories in EVCO come from MCTs, which are more likely to be oxidized for fuel.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^Quick serious question regarding protein. Is extra protein that is not able to be absorbed and used just expelled or can ur body store it as fat? I believed it can't but have a brother who disagrees.
Of course protein can be stored as fat since it can still be broken down into glucose. You seriously cannot be that ignorant.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
avoid sat and trans fat. too much will make you fat, just like too much food would regardless.
of course carbs are worse for fat gain.
Sat fat are to be avoided. you should drink olive oil for EFA's . i add 1-2 shots to my protein drinks AND add it to all my food. (avoid cooking with it, use grapeseed for that)
when you buy high fat foods, look for low sat fat.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
avoid sat and trans fat. too much will make you fat, just like too much food would regardless.
of course carbs are worse for fat gain.
Sat fat are to be avoided. you should drink olive oil for EFA's . i add 1-2 shots to my protein drinks AND add it to all my food. (avoid cooking with it, use grapeseed for that)
when you buy high fat foods, look for low sat fat.
Why is sat fat to be avoided? All of the archaic, Ornish "science" that demonizes sat fat and cholesterol is based on correlation, not causation, which can only make inferences and inaccurate ones at that.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep it will, because the carbs will raise insulin making it easier for you body to store fat, while the same excess calories from fats won't barely raise insulin at all. As well, carbs are digested very fast resulting in more of a short term surplus of calories, where fats are digested slowly, making the surplus per hour smaller, so again less likely to be stored as fat.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I listed some scientific data on the previous page. Fats are utilized more for low intensity high duration work and they provide a relatively constant supply of fuel, whereas a carbohydrate has the ability over-stimulate insulin production and potentially hinder performance due to the rebound hypoglycemia effect. Just because adipose fat and fat from food have the same name, it doesnt mean that the body instantly stores it as such. Also, triglycerides contain glycerol which can be converted into glucose in the absense of glucose. Lipolysis (which is the metabolism of lipids) eventually produces Ketones, which can also be used for energy.

There are more than 30 different types of saturated fatty acids all which obviously have varying chemical structures; so broad terming them is like comparing fructose to glucose.

HEres a wiki article; dont discard it because its wiki, it highlights the new current research about fats. Saturated fat and cardiovascular disease controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And i also quote In 2009; a systematic review supported by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada of prospective cohort studies or randomized trials concluded that there was "insufficient evidence of association" between intake of saturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease, and pointed to strong evidence for protective factors such as vegetables and a Mediterranean diet and harmful factors such as trans fats and foods with a high glycemic index.

And yes it can be stored as fat. The body can only synthesize so much protein per day, once it no longer needs protein it begins a process called deamination (removing the amine group). This is then converted into ammonia which is then converted into urea and excreted. However, the remaining carbon group (now that it is not bound to the amine group) can either be utilized for energy or stored as fat. While you may excrete the amino acid (by way of uric acid) there is still the carbon and hydrogen atoms which have to be dealt with. These are what cause fat storage, they don't just disappear.

vassille

Awards
Rule of thumb is the if you post a comment generally one would have some kind of information to back it up. To say I disagree is not backing your comment up. It makes you look like you have no idea what you are saying.
With that being said...a cell such as the mytocandria can be fuel by glucose or fatty acids to make ATP. In other words one can survive on either carbohydrate or fats as energy source independent of each other. In other words you can eat fat by itself and survive just fine or plain carbohydrate.
Fats contain 9 calories per gram, which makes it very calorie dense which will give you more than a bit of energy in fact it gives you a shiet load of energy.;)

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I'm on 5 spoonfuls of coconut oil a day.

I feel invincible.