Will too much saturated fat add more fat to you?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by Blergs View Post
    avoid sat and trans fat. too much will make you fat, just like too much food would regardless.
    of course carbs are worse for fat gain.
    Sat fat are to be avoided. you should drink olive oil for EFA's . i add 1-2 shots to my protein drinks AND add it to all my food. (avoid cooking with it, use grapeseed for that)
    when you buy high fat foods, look for low sat fat.
    Why is sat fat to be avoided? All of the archaic, Ornish "science" that demonizes sat fat and cholesterol is based on correlation, not causation, which can only make inferences and inaccurate ones at that.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281
    So ur stating that an extra few hundred calories in surplus from let's say carbs will make u gain a higher percentage of fat then u would see from downing a half a bottle of coconut olive oil? Disagree.. The carbs would energize and give a further ability to exercise with more intensity/longer duration. While what would a **** load of coconut olive oil do? Possibly a bit of energy as well but not my main choice for fuel. No "scientific" data here just personal exp. u have 20k posts so chances are u right about everything regarding everything..
    Yep it will, because the carbs will raise insulin making it easier for you body to store fat, while the same excess calories from fats won't barely raise insulin at all. As well, carbs are digested very fast resulting in more of a short term surplus of calories, where fats are digested slowly, making the surplus per hour smaller, so again less likely to be stored as fat.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,052
    Rep Power
    3263517

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281 View Post
    So ur stating that an extra few hundred calories in surplus from let's say carbs will make u gain a higher percentage of fat then u would see from downing a half a bottle of coconut olive oil? Disagree.. The carbs would energize and give a further ability to exercise with more intensity/longer duration. While what would a **** load of coconut olive oil do? Possibly a bit of energy as well but not my main choice for fuel. No "scientific" data here just personal exp. u have 20k posts so chances are u right about everything regarding everything..
    I listed some scientific data on the previous page. Fats are utilized more for low intensity high duration work and they provide a relatively constant supply of fuel, whereas a carbohydrate has the ability over-stimulate insulin production and potentially hinder performance due to the rebound hypoglycemia effect. Just because adipose fat and fat from food have the same name, it doesnt mean that the body instantly stores it as such. Also, triglycerides contain glycerol which can be converted into glucose in the absense of glucose. Lipolysis (which is the metabolism of lipids) eventually produces Ketones, which can also be used for energy.

    There are more than 30 different types of saturated fatty acids all which obviously have varying chemical structures; so broad terming them is like comparing fructose to glucose.

    HEres a wiki article; dont discard it because its wiki, it highlights the new current research about fats. Saturated fat and cardiovascular disease controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And i also quote In 2009; a systematic review supported by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada of prospective cohort studies or randomized trials concluded that there was "insufficient evidence of association" between intake of saturated fatty acids and coronary heart disease, and pointed to strong evidence for protective factors such as vegetables and a Mediterranean diet and harmful factors such as trans fats and foods with a high glycemic index.




    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281 View Post
    ^Quick serious question regarding protein. Is extra protein that is not able to be absorbed and used just expelled or can ur body store it as fat? I believed it can't but have a brother who disagrees.
    And yes it can be stored as fat. The body can only synthesize so much protein per day, once it no longer needs protein it begins a process called deamination (removing the amine group). This is then converted into ammonia which is then converted into urea and excreted. However, the remaining carbon group (now that it is not bound to the amine group) can either be utilized for energy or stored as fat. While you may excrete the amino acid (by way of uric acid) there is still the carbon and hydrogen atoms which have to be dealt with. These are what cause fat storage, they don't just disappear.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    Quote Originally Posted by wrathchild281 View Post
    So ur stating that an extra few hundred calories in surplus from let's say carbs will make u gain a higher percentage of fat then u would see from downing a half a bottle of coconut olive oil? Disagree.. The carbs would energize and give a further ability to exercise with more intensity/longer duration. While what would a **** load of coconut olive oil do? Possibly a bit of energy as well but not my main choice for fuel. No "scientific" data here just personal exp. u have 20k posts so chances are u right about everything regarding everything..
    Rule of thumb is the if you post a comment generally one would have some kind of information to back it up. To say I disagree is not backing your comment up. It makes you look like you have no idea what you are saying.
    With that being said...a cell such as the mytocandria can be fuel by glucose or fatty acids to make ATP. In other words one can survive on either carbohydrate or fats as energy source independent of each other. In other words you can eat fat by itself and survive just fine or plain carbohydrate.
    Fats contain 9 calories per gram, which makes it very calorie dense which will give you more than a bit of energy in fact it gives you a shiet load of energy.
  5. Registered User
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,296
    Rep Power
    49679

    I'm on 5 spoonfuls of coconut oil a day.

    I feel invincible.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How to add Pp products to you Anti-Aging Medicines.
    By MattPorter in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  2. will too many saturated fats make you fat?
    By Cokeboyz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM
  3. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
  4. Help.. Need something to add more weight to leg machines...
    By bigguns078 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM
  5. How much fat is too much?
    By conversekidz in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.