Staying lean while bulking

Cokeboyz

Awards
I'm confused as to what actually determines how lean you stay on a bulk. Is it progression in your lifts? A little cardio? Eating the right kinds of fats? Avoiding dirty carbs such as sugar and white flour? Spacing out your meals? Eating your carbs at the right time of the day? A combination of everything? Please help me out.

iTechEW

Awards
I'm confused as to what actually determines how lean you stay on a bulk. Is it progression in your lifts? A little cardio? Eating the right kinds of fats? Avoiding dirty carbs such as sugar and white flour? Spacing out your meals? Eating your carbs at the right time of the day? A combination of everything? Please help me out.
I'd like to know this exact info as well. If someone could explain it'd be great!

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
It's more so about dialing in diet a little over maintenance. Say like 500 over. But also need to understand it'll take longer.

Cokeboyz

Awards
It's more so about dialing in diet a little over maintenance. Say like 500 over. But also need to understand it'll take longer.
Then what's the point of eating clean and spacing out meals?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Then what's the point of eating clean and spacing out meals?
you still have to eat clean (as in lean meat/whole grains/healthy fats/fruits/veggies), you just have to eat a surplus of clean food.

the whole 6-8 meal spacing/timing is not what matters. what matters is meeting your macro and caloric needs. 6-8 meals definetly helps if you have trouble eating large meals or if cutting; it will help keep you from splurging, but it isn't necessary.

monitor your body composition, if you feel yourself gaining more fat then cut back calories and vice versa

Cokeboyz

Awards
How slow am I gonna gain muscle now? If I'm moving up like 5 lbs a week on my lifts will the muscle gain still be slow?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
it's a slow process and its different for everybody. +/- calories depending on how you feel you are doing. if you aren't gaining-eat more, if you're getting too fat- eat less. gains in body fat will be expected but it shouldn't be a lot

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How slow am I gonna gain muscle now? If I'm moving up like 5 lbs a week on my lifts will the muscle gain still be slow?
Yes because nothing is linear and true progression takes years.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Well I was making better, faster gains while eating 1,000 over maitnence but people told me that was too much. So I stopped then I didn't gain as much. I was also told my workout plan was overtraining so I stopped it and stopped making gains. Placebo?

uvawahoowa

Awards
Well I was making better, faster gains while eating 1,000 over maitnence but people told me that was too much. So I stopped then I didn't gain as much. I was also told my workout plan was overtraining so I stopped it and stopped making gains. Placebo?
You will most likely make faster gains at 1000 cals over maintenance but will also put on bodyfat faster than at 500. If you care about gains over leanness go for 1000.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Yes because nothing is linear and true progression takes years.
So I won't see a difference in my body for years???? How come my muscles were bigger when I was benching 205x9? My bench dropped down to 190x8 and I'm noticeably smaller your telling me if I get it back up I won't gain any muscle????

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what your workout plan is but if you were making gains in muscle and not fat at 1000 over maint then keep doin it. But if you were doing an assload of cardio and that's why you needed to eat 1000 over, then maybe cut back cardio. A lot of people don't count their calories right. Investing in a food scale makes all the difference

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I won't see a difference in my body for years???? How come my muscles were bigger when I was benching 205x9? My bench dropped down to 190x8 and I'm noticeably smaller your telling me if I get it back up I won't gain any muscle????
How old are you?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dude you'll see gains, just not huge ones right off the bat. took me 2+ years to go from 160-208 and remain the same BF. you'll notice even just a couple lbs of muscle. you're over thinking this.

not gaining=eat more
gaining excessive fat=eat less

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's about what I figured.

Here's what you're doing that you need to stop immediately:

STOP OVERANALYZING EVERYTHING

All you need to focus on is eating and lifting weights. You're too inexperienced and you need to spend more time under the bar and less time thinking about every minute aspect. Do yourself a favor and go buy two books: Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. Read them everyday, train for 5-7 years consistently, and then worry about all of the little things. You need to focus on gaining experience and learning technique far more than worrying about concepts like lean bulking.

Cary K

Cary K

Awards

All you need to focus on is eating and lifting weights. You're too inexperienced and you need to spend more time under the bar and less time thinking about every minute aspect. Do yourself a favor and go buy two books: Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. Read them everyday, train for 5-7 years consistently, and then worry about all of the little things. You need to focus on gaining experience and learning technique far more than worrying about concepts like lean bulking.
Yes, yes yes!! And if I may add something....do not even think about a PH!! You are too young, still growing and your T levels are about to start hitting their peak. Just be patient young grasshopper. Train, train, train-naturally!!!

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
To each there own man. Just use the baseline of what people say and go from there.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established

Great advice. My son is 16 and I started him on 5/3/1 over a year ago. His lifts have continuously increased without the need to reset yet. He's gained some size as well but nothing extraordinary.

uvawahoowa

Awards
The best thing you can do at your age is lay the framework for big growth with a solid lifting program. Yes it will take years, how many yoked 17 year olds have you seen? You most likely don't have enough hormones for big growth right now. Patience is the best thing to have right now

iTechEW

Awards
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm 17 so just around the same age and I workout 3 days a week sometimes 4. I don't always get my required calories so I've been looking into Mass Gainers. Currently I only take whey protein a little before and after my workout. I have seen very small gains and I've been working out at this amount for about half a year now possibly longer. I've gained maybe 3 lbs of muscle or that time and have not gained any fat. At my age I can basically eat any food I want and it doesn't affect my weight. I could eat crappy foods and still not get fat. Idk why this is I'd assume because of my metabolism or something but I know the way I eat now can affect me in the future by changing my cells. Basically I'm trying to get the best advice for me at my age. Such as using Mass Gainers or not bothering with them. Considering what I said about eating whatever I want and not putting fat on I wouldn't know if I'm taking in too many calories or not to know if I should eat less or more. And just to let you know I don't eat crap foods I was just giving that as an example because ik I don't gain fat from eating fatty foods. So I'm looking to know if I should work out harder. Take some mass gainers. When to take a mass gainer or whey or what kind of pre-workouts or anything like that to gain muscle and bulk and stay healthily with not gaining fat. Or at my age like someone said should I not worry about gaining bulk and just continue working out and eating well and when I'm older I would have set myself on a good path to start bulking thanks in advance!

dillianc

Awards
supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e791d3db8071cfcd2f4eed5bbdffdff5&topic=130.0

I found this while searching info on lean bulking. It is a good read and provides some good info, hope it helps!

iTechEW

Awards
supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e791d3db8071cfcd2f4eed5bbdffdff5&topic=130.0

I found this while searching info on lean bulking. It is a good read and provides some good info, hope it helps!
I'll check it out soon. Thanks!