HM Weight Gainer

ilcrba

Awards
I noticed that people are suggesting that a homemade weight gainer usually consists of...

1 cup oats
1 cup milk
2 tbsp PB
2 tbsp olive oil
1 scoop whey

and the extras
bannanas, strawberries, yogurt, ice cube etc..

I was wondering do you guys blend this or do you just put in shaker cup and shake? Didn't know if 1 cup of milk was enough liquid to make that a liquidy shake, something that you can easily drink. Just seems like it would be thick.

Thank you guys.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Get with a forum member named DJBeanPole. He's been reviewing some shakes & can toss some hints/tips your way. :)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do shakes similar to that. I often do skim milk, rolled oats, and whey. Simple and effective and goes down easy. The fruit is a nice touch for taste and extra carbs.

ilcrba

Awards
Main question here is do you blend or shake this? Seems like more solids then liquid.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Main question here is do you blend or shake this? Seems like more solids then liquid.
Definitely blend. Much smoother consistency and texture.

ilcrba

Awards
I was told that if you blend it then it takes away the nutritional value of the oats. Did I get trolled on that one?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was told that if you blend it then it takes away the nutritional value of the oats. Did I get trolled on that one?
lol, there are some strange ideas out there! What happens to it in the stomach? It gets broken down and turned into chyme which is a semi-fluid mass. This bolus of mass then enters your duodenum (beginning of your small intestines) and that is where nutrient absorption takes place, not in the mouth or stomach. So making the oats smaller by a blade doesn't change the molecular structure of it, or the fact that the oats are chemically broken down by specific enzymes in in the body into a disaccharide where it is used for energy production.

ilcrba

Awards
Ha thought so. Thanks for the tips. Looks like im buying a blender tomorrow!!!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha thought so. Thanks for the tips. Looks like im buying a blender tomorrow!!!
No problem. Don't feel hesitant about spending just a little more to get a decent quality one. I would usually get the cheapo's then went up slightly to cuisine art and still had my blenders break down on my at least once a year. Granted I use them alot and put them through hell sometimes with some of my shakes but I got tired of going out and buying blenders. One of the best blenders that I got around the $100 mark was a Kitchen Aid. This one: KitchenAid Blender - Cinnamon - Appliances - Small Kitchen Appliances - Blenders & Juicers says 130 here but I remember getting mine for around 100. But if you want the absolutely best blender out there hands down, then a Vitamixer is a great option but Blendtec is better. I've had both and currently have a Blendtec, once I bought this bad boy I put my Kitchenaid in the garage as a backup. It costs a pretty penny but I also got a 7 year warranty on it. Now just imagine not ever having to buy another blender in 7 years at least! We also grind our own wheat in it. srs. The World's Best Blenders, Mixers & Grain Mills | Blendtec.com Granted, it's still out of most peoples budget but that's why tax returns are great!

chefbo

chefbo

Awards
from a chef's perspective only cooking deplets the nutrients from food by vaporization you should be good to go either way.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Eewww. Definitely want to put that into a blender! 8 ounces of milk should be enough liquid plus the consistency of the olive oil and the yogurt will help to blend the ingredients well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

wrathchild281

Awards
looks good i keep it simple. Whey shake with either instant oats or a form of high glycemic carbs. waxy,dextrose etc

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I blend this, I do 40g of oats, 2 tbs of pb, 2 cups lactaid milk, 1 scoop cookies and cream whey ( :D ) and it works out pretty damn well. Im not sold on spending my hard earned money on a weight gainer that is only 6-14 servings that I have to use almost every day when the price of whey, oats, PB, and milk are going to be way cheaper than buying any weight gainer. BLEND IT BABBBY

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My bulking shake at the moment is;
3egg whites
3whole eggs
2scoops of pb
Two servings of oats (40gs)
Banana
1.5 cups of skim milk
That's 883 calories
91g of carbs
34g of fat
57g of protein

I might have two of these per day but ill switch the banana for blueberries. Starting next week ill be adding in some cottage cheese as well.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3egg whites
3whole eggs
2scoops of pb
Banana
1.5 cups of skim milk
That's 883 calories
91g of carbs
34g of fat
57g of protein

I might have two of these per day but ill switch the banana for blueberries. Starting next week ill be adding in some cottage cheese as well.
that looks awesome whats it taste like ?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
3egg whites
3whole eggs
2scoops of pb
Banana
1.5 cups of skim milk
That's 883 calories
91g of carbs
34g of fat
57g of protein

That's a bad ass shake...

I blend this, I do 40g of oats, 2 tbs of pb, 2 cups lactaid milk, 1 scoop cookies and cream whey ( :D ) and it works out pretty damn well. Im not sold on spending my hard earned money on a weight gainer that is only 6-14 servings that I have to use almost every day when the price of whey, oats, PB, and milk are going to be way cheaper than buying any weight gainer. BLEND IT BABBBY
Reminds me I need to check out that lactaid milk...

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it makes everything go down smoother and im lactose intolerant so it helps get my extra Kcals