Increase in calories

dillianc

Awards
Hey all,
So I am increasing my calories as I'm trying to bulk up but am feeling very guilty doing it. Calories are going from around 2000 to around 2600-2700 it's been a gradual increase not just a giant leap. Is the guilty feeling normal?

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Y do u feel guilty?

Only way to bulk is to eat more.

So eat lean and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

dillianc

Awards
Ha ha, I do love food, but I'm afraid of putting on fat. However I do eat fairly clean. I'm just trying to figure out where I need to be calorie range to bulk up. I'm 5'10 and just under 150lbs I have no real issues gaining weight or manipulating my body

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Try doing a powerlifers workout keeping reps low and weighs high.

If your a hard gainer u may need a bit more healthy fat in your diet. Try 3000 cals a day and maybe 1.7 per pound for protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha ha, I do love food, but I'm afraid of putting on fat. However I do eat fairly clean. I'm just trying to figure out where I need to be calorie range to bulk up. I'm 5'10 and just under 150lbs I have no real issues gaining weight or manipulating my body
Calculate it out and go from there. Here's a couple BMR generators you can use to help assist you. Oh and don't forget the Thermic Effect of Food and your physical activity level as well. Some BMR calculators include those and some don't.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html
http://www.global-fitness.com/BMR_calc.php

Once you have your estimated BMR, increase it by ~20%. Give it a couple weeks then go from there and adjust as needed. That gets you close to where you need to be without much less guesswork.

dillianc

Awards
Thanks man, one tells me 2800 and the other 3300. When I was fat that would have been nothing lol now that seems like a lot.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man, one tells me 2800 and the other 3300. When I was fat that would have been nothing lol now that seems like a lot.
I have a really good one that I use. If I can find it I'll post it up but I just moved so everything's a bit of a mess. Go with the one that includes the most variables such as exercise intensity, daily activity, TEF, etc.

dillianc

Awards
That would be wicked. I have been searching for a decent one

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Why feel guilty? I love building mass.
You cant add lean mass without some fat gains - sorry, but thats just how it goes. You need the extra "wet weight" to support hypertrophy, its a good thing. Now how much is all dependent on how liberal you are with your daily calorie intake.

I prefer to start at a 20% increase over maintenance. The calculators given are good. At 5'10" 145 the 2800 number is more likely your daily energy expenditure = how much you burn on training days. Therefore a 3300 calorie number is more likely what you should be shooting for. I have a hunch youll need closer to 3600. 1.5-1.7g protein/lbs BW so >300g.

dillianc

Awards
From my 2200 calorie intake now 33-3600 seems like so much lol but yes I am starting to realize I need to eat more to gain more. I don't have an issue manipulating my body though so I'm in no way an ectomorph

wrathchild281

Awards
No need to feel guilty my man. Enjoy the ride. Like already said i think 3000 + range. Go big or go home right