Clean/lean bulk

dillianc

Awards
Hey,

So I am in an attempt to do a clean/lean bulk to gain some weight. Really the only thing that is holding me back is I dont know how many calories I should be taking in as it is. My question is what online Calorie calculator do you think is most accurate. I would think they would all be the same but some are giving me just a daily intake of 2200 and some of 3500 ha ha there is a huge difference between those two.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
I think easiest way is to find your BMR and then add 500 cals. If you gain then you're golden, if not adjust accordingly ( usually another 200 cals a week more until you hit the right amount)

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Check out the Muscle Book from AX - you have everything there :)
Download from AX site

Titration

Awards
IIRC Lyle has said a good start is to multiply weight by 12-15, but I may be wrong. You can add 150-300 calories to tht total and set up macros from there. I would watch my weight every month or so first thing upon waking up. I gain of 1-2 lbs per month is a good gain, and although slow, it will put on less fat. This is assuming you're natural, by the way. PM me if you need further help.

theruraljuror

Awards
Pick one and track your body composition, if you don't like it alter your intake slightly. Your BMR will change as your weight changes anyways.

dillianc

Awards
My issue is that I am scared to eat the requirment that I should probably be eating as I really am unsure. All the dieticians I have been looking into though are way too expensive.

Mainevant

Mainevant

Awards
Read the Muscle Book that I gave you.
Everything is there.
All info that u need and u wont have to go to dietitian.

dillianc

Awards
I did read it. There was not much about intake in it.

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
basically what everyone says....get a baseline calorie intake of your BMR + your activity level then add 300 to it...

If your not gaining .5lb a week then raise by 100 until you do and vise versa

dillianc

Awards
My scale tells me I gain 5lbs in a day sometimes lol and I don't ever go over my calorie intake. Haven't in months anyway.

Luckily my work pays for a dietician so I have some appointments later this week.

I have been increasing my food everyday though and attempting GVT

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My scale tells me I gain 5lbs in a day sometimes lol and I don't ever go over my calorie intake. Haven't in months anyway.

Luckily my work pays for a dietician so I have some appointments later this week.

I have been increasing my food everyday though and attempting GVT
Don't monitor your weight daily. Also, when you do keep the timing consistant. Weigh at the same time each week becasue over the course of the day your weight will fluctuate

dillianc

Awards
Don't monitor your weight daily. Also, when you do keep the timing consistant. Weigh at the same time each week becasue over the course of the day your weight will fluctuate
Always do at the same time.

as for everyday, it just kind of became routine. I wish it would tell me if im gaining muscle or fat ha ha

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Always do at the same time.

as for everyday, it just kind of became routine. I wish it would tell me if im gaining muscle or fat ha ha

Don't we all hha. If you do it everyday, then dont be suprised if you go down one day then up a bit the next; never be discouraged by it if you do it that way

dillianc

Awards
How do you measure if you are putting on healthy weight or not. My weight has gone up a lb or 2 in the last 2-3 weeks I don't know how to tell what's being added on though

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
How do you measure if you are putting on healthy weight or not. My weight has gone up a lb or 2 in the last 2-3 weeks I don't know how to tell what's being added on though
It sounds like you are WAY TOO FOCUSED ON THE SCALE.
You spoke of being "afraid" to follow recommended intakes to bulk-just making sure that there isn't another underlying issue here.
Best advice is simple: calculate your BMR, add in 200-500 kCal/day and monitor your weight- at most twice a week. If you are gaining, keep this intake, if not, add more.

dillianc

Awards
Oh I will admit that I am too focused on the scale. That thing is the devil.

It just became routine in the morning if I just move it away from my bathroom I wouldn't use it lol

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Oh I will admit that I am too focused on the scale. That thing is the devil.

It just became routine in the morning if I just move it away from my bathroom I wouldn't use it lol
Do it man: your search for "data" is holding you back. It's just a number!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If your not comfortable gaining weight, then simply don't. During a bulk you have to expect to put on a little fat mass, especially the first few times you try a bulk; truth is, you'll take time to learn your body and how much food you have to eat in order to bulk as lean as possible. Not everyone will put on fat during a bulk, some people have the ability to lean bulk with great success but for the most part, many people will

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If your not comfortable gaining weight, then simply don't. During a bulk you have to expect to put on a little fat mass, especially the first few times you try a bulk; truth is, you'll take time to learn your body and how much food you have to eat in order to bulk as lean as possible. Not everyone will put on fat during a bulk, some people have the ability to lean bulk with great success but for the most part, many people will
Some people can eat chips and cookies and not gain fat. ;)

dillianc

Awards
I wish I could eat that stuff and not gain weight. Although then I probably wouldn't be able to put on muscle. Never a win win.

Slowly but surely I will get there. I'm sure everyone was nervous about gaining too much fat on their first bulk

jgunzz

jgunzz

Awards
A good ratio that works for me is your body weight (lb) x 18. For me it's about 3100 calories. I eat around this much on lifting days with at least 300 grams of protein a day. carbs should depend on your body type whether you gain a lot of fat quickly or not. if you gain fat quick, then I would suggest doing about 200-250 grams of carbs a day and about 100 grams of fat. on non workout days you could drop the calories to body weight (lb) x 14 and do some cardio to burn any fat you might be gaining. this is what works specifically for me. other programs seem to call for more calories. you could also check out jim stopannies shortcut to size program and look at his nutrition calculator

dillianc

Awards
Checked out that program! It was a great read and some very good information and gain ideas. Thanks!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Some people can eat chips and cookies and not gain fat. ;)
Thats true, im not one of those people ;) Probably because I cant stop at one cookie.