Starting Bulk off of a cut

blackhawks87

Awards
I am coming off a 8 month cut.. I went from 191-168lb and ive been estimated at around 14-17% bf.. I have visibility (slight to meh) on my abs.. woo! lol

I however am feeling small and I think I need to put some mass on.

My question is.. I am now eating around 1800-1900 calories a day. How should i start the bulking process? gradually increase cals each week? so the first week eat 2000 cals.. then next week 2200? and so on?

This is my first true lean bulk.. Thanks for any advice!

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I am coming off a 8 month cut.. I went from 191-168lb and ive been estimated at around 14-17% bf.. I have visibility (slight to meh) on my abs.. woo! lol

My question is.. I am now eating around 1800-1900 calories a day. How should i start the bulking process? gradually increase cals each week? so the first week eat 2000 cals.. then next week 2200? and so on?

First off congratz, second:

Reverse diet to avoid rebounding due to insulin sensitivity. I imagine you went low carb anyway at some point. So from this point on start doing this:

-Start adding 200-250~ kCals per WEEK in the matter of carbs until you reach your Maintenance Level.

Once you do adjust to this ratios:

-1lb of protein per LB of BW
- .45 to .5 grams of fat per LB or BW
-Carbs constitute the rest of the kCalorie expenditure. ( Formula: Maintenance (kCals) - [Grams of protein*4] - [Grams of Fat*9] = Carb kCals. Then you do (Carb kCals)/4=Grams of carbs).

And start creating a surplus weekly or every 2 weeks. Either add 250 kCals every week or 500 every 2 weeks, it is just an example, it all depends on your training style and how fast you put on weight. The best place to add kCals from is Carbs, do NOT be afraid of them, that's why you reverse dieted. Its ok if the values of Fat and Protein go up due to trace values of both on Carb sources.

Good luck! Hope it helped bro!

blackhawks87

Awards
First off congratz, second:

Reverse diet to avoid rebounding due to insulin sensitivity. I imagine you went low carb anyway at some point. So from this point on start doing this:

-Start adding 200-250~ kCals per WEEK in the matter of carbs until you reach your Maintenance Level.

Once you do adjust to this ratios:

-1lb of protein per LB of BW
- .45 to .5 grams of fat per LB or BW
-Carbs constitute the rest of the kCalorie expenditure. ( Formula: Maintenance (kCals) - [Grams of protein*4] - [Grams of Fat*9] = Carb kCals. Then you do (Carb kCals)/4=Grams of carbs).

And start creating a surplus weekly or every 2 weeks. Either add 250 kCals every week or 500 every 2 weeks, it is just an example, it all depends on your training style and how fast you put on weight. The best place to add kCals from is Carbs, do NOT be afraid of them, that's why you reverse dieted. Its ok if the values of Fat and Protein go up due to trace values of both on Carb sources.

Good luck! Hope it helped bro!
Thanks a ton for the advice! This is one of the most complete and helpful answers I think I have ever recieved! I was low carb for almost the entire cut... never really going above 100-120g ever.. I have heard about coming off of a cut and gaining a ton of weight back fast because of insulin sensitivity so I will make sure to take it nice and slow and watch the scale.. so with this system I should be looking to increase weight slower then loss so aiming for in the beginning 1-2 weeks to gain maybe 1lb then from there since the calories will keep going up faster and faster?

I am not afraid of carbs for sure.. this just means more brown rice/beans/oats which I happen to love!

Thanks again.. Repped.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Me personally dont see any need n gradually increasing calories. When u want to bulk just start eating. Are you looking to clean bulk or dirty bulk?

I have done both,kind of a blend. but I did it with plenty of carbs,red meats,whole milk and PB...with plenty of junk as well.over 18 months went from 174-208.. I am now down to 193...was actually at 189 and now up to 193 with less body fat... 185 is my goal.This time when i bulk will be cleaner.Very little to no junk food. But try to consume atleast 3000-3500 calories a day as clean as possible,even 4000 calories is great.It is very hard to do though cleanly.Unless you have time and money.

I have never gotten technical into grams etc... I just eat protein with every meal thats a given atleast 20-40 grams every time and when bulking, carbs atleast 2-3 times a day ,plenty of greens and some PB&J on bagels will will help with calories.As for protein i will eat more,alot more red meats,atleast one time a day 5 days a week,mainly postworkout..Thats me though.

and congrats on the weight loss.keep up the good work.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Me personally dont see any need n gradually increasing calories. When u want to bulk just start eating. Are you looking to clean bulk or dirty bulk?

I have done both,kind of a blend. but I did it with plenty of carbs,red meats,whole milk and PB...with plenty of junk as well.over 18 months went from 174-208.. I am now down to 193...was actually at 189 and now up to 193 with less body fat... 185 is my goal.This time when i bulk will be cleaner.Very little to no junk food. But try to consume atleast 3000-3500 calories a day as clean as possible,even 4000 calories is great.It is very hard to do though cleanly.Unless you have time and money.

I have never gotten technical into grams etc... I just eat protein with every meal thats a given atleast 20-40 grams every time and when bulking, carbs atleast 2-3 times a day ,plenty of greens and some PB&J on bagels will will help with calories.As for protein i will eat more,alot more red meats,atleast one time a day 5 days a week,mainly postworkout..Thats me though.

and congrats on the weight loss.keep up the good work.

You don't see the need to increase cals slowly? Idk about you but if I spent 8 months cutting bodyfat, I wouldn't want to put all the bodyfat back on in a couple of months. Clean bulks FTW. Just my opinion :D.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Dude,ive bulked quit a few times and when I did..it was as simple for me as weekend ends,do food shopping on sunday for higher calorie diet,.Pack my food for week,Mon starts and im off..I keep a mix of clean and ****...but for a majority its clean.So when i start bulking all im doing is eating more red meats,upping carbs and add PB to the diet..Im not a pro and not eating 7000 calories a day,just adding some higher calorie more fatty foods.Still training 4-5 days a week. Im going from 1500/2000 calories to basically 3000/3500 calories a day...

although apparently by your pic there is a lot more to your diet the way u train the way you supplement etc...me im a construction worker,who does this for fun,i do it right,but im not so technical about it. =)..brother,you been training alot longer than me obviously so without a doubt i fully respect your opinion. CHEERS =)

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Dude,ive bulked quit a few times and when I did..it was as simple for me as weekend ends,do food shopping on sunday for higher calorie diet,.Pack my food for week,Mon starts and im off..I keep a mix of clean and ****...but for a majority its clean.So when i start bulking all im doing is eating more red meats,upping carbs and add PB to the diet..Im not a pro and not eating 7000 calories a day,just adding some higher calorie more fatty foods.Still training 4-5 days a week. Im going from 1500/2000 calories to basically 3000/3500 calories a day...

although apparently by your pic there is a lot more to your diet the way u train the way you supplement etc...me im a construction worker,who does this for fun,i do it right,but im not so technical about it. =)..brother,you been training alot longer than me obviously so without a doubt i fully respect your opinion. CHEERS =)

I just realized you said he was cuttig for 8 months...lol..if so yeah,i completly missed that..maybe I need n slow down and fully read ****,lol

Titration

Awards

I'm assuming the 1800kcals are from a cut, so I would gradually increase calories to maintence then bump them up slightly and weigh yourself on a monthly basis to asses weight gain.

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
when I bulked I did it gradually plus that way you know how many calories you need to eat to start gaining..