need a little bulking advice

bomb

Awards
hey guys - im new to this forum and first of all i want to apologize for my english if its incorrect , because im from europe ;)
okay i need your advice although ive been working out for two years now but there werwnt any big results showing up!
dont get me wrong , im not skinny but i need definately more solid gains!
im 18 years old, about 180 cm tall and weigh about 170 lbs .
i workout 4 times a week doing monday& thirsday upper body and tuesday and friday lower body
on days i workout i have an intake of 210gr protein ,320gr carbs and 85 gr fat - when im not working out i mutiply the carbs of each meal by 0.7 to get 30% less carbs in!
the problem atm is : i start storing bf and i dunno why ?

normally i eat :
8 am 150 gr oats and 30 gr whey
9.30 112gr whole wheat bread with 30 gr turkey breast
11 am workout with pwo : 30 gr whey & 50 gr rice cakes
2pm lunch - 150 gr chicken breast ,160 gr rice and 30 gr nuts
6pm 150 gr chicken breast ,30gr nuts
11pm 250 gr cottage cheese and 30 gr nuts
leaving a total amount of 2970 kcals !!

is there anything i should improve?
PLS AM LET ME GROW!!!

murk01

murk01

Awards
I like ur eating schedule, but as a hard gainer my self I know sometime u have increase the carbs even more. Go heaver with ur morning shake add yogurt, a few eggs if u have the time. Yams kick ass , include them in lunch and break fast.
Go to like 3500 Cal a day. Don't worry about fat to much u can thin out later as long as u keep working out.

Just what I would do. Good luck g

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Add two tablespoons of pb to your morning shake, ground flax (for digestion)

Add sweet potatos like murk said, mix your shakes with almond milk as well.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Too much prot, not enough fats+carbs.

Protein: 1g per LB of BW
Fats: .45 to .5g of fat per LB of BW
Carbs constitute the rest of your kCals a day

Your surplus is too low, bump to 3300kCals~ for 2 weeks and then keep increasing in the manners of carbs and adjust prot according to weight increase. I am a tike and I am barely gaining 1lb per week on 3000 kCals a week...Morale of the story, calculate TDEE effectively and adjust macros always without being afraid of carbs.

murk01

murk01

Awards
Add two tablespoons of pb to your morning shake, ground flax (for digestion)

Add sweet potatos like murk said, mix your shakes with almond milk as well.
How do u milk an almond anyway?

murk01

murk01

Awards
Too much prot, not enough fats+carbs.

Protein: 1g per LB of BW
Fats: .45 to .5g of fat per LB of BW
Carbs constitute the rest of your kCals a day

Your surplus is too low, bump to 3300kCals~ for 2 weeks and then keep increasing in the manners of carbs and adjust prot according to weight increase. I am a tike and I am barely gaining 1lb per week on 3000 kCals a week...Morale of the story, calculate TDEE effectively and adjust macros always without being afraid of carbs.
When the weather cools down, I want to do a big bulk, I'll be my dietary advisor

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yeh. I don't wanna think about it. U tell me what to eat, I eat it
Hahaha let me know, meanwhile play around and find your actual TDEE (maintenance) so I can have a better approach to it.

bomb

Awards
okay thanks , i was afraid to increase carbs bevause i started storing fat very fast - but if i lower protein ( just 100gr chicken for example?) it wouldnt be a problem ..
definately increasing kcals because my taekwondo/mma season started again ..
i train tkd :mo,tue,wed ; and mma :fr , sat,sun
when im at home ill improve the schedule bcs im on my iphone right now !

bomb

Awards
okay thanks , i was afraid to increase carbs bevause i started storing fat very fast - but if i lower protein ( just 100gr chicken for example?) it wouldnt be a problem ..
definately increasing kcals because my taekwondo/mma season started again ..
i train tkd :mo,tue,wed ; and mma :fr , sat,sun
when im at home ill improve the schedule bcs im on my iphone right now !

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Too clean IMO looks like a prep diet not a bulk diet gotta have some dirty calorie dense meals or youll never pack on the size. During a bulk 1/2 lb bacon cheese burgers are my best friend.

murk01

murk01

Awards
Too clean IMO looks like a prep diet not a bulk diet gotta have some dirty calorie dense meals or youll never pack on the size. During a bulk 1/2 lb bacon cheese burgers are my best friend.
I think what really makes a hard gainer is psychological. Speaking for my self.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I think what really makes a hard gainer is psychological. Speaking for my self.
I'd have to completely agree. The fear of putting on fat but its just part of the process, delicate balance, if bodybuilding is something one wants to pursue.

bomb

Awards
so is the problem not adding weight, or that you are adding weight and some of it is fat?
the problem is that i put on weight but mostly its bellyfat or at least it seems like my belly is growing but i can feel it on my pecs to ..
no i dont think im a hardgainer or at least im that lousy skinny-fat type - you know , not that much muscles but bellyfat ..
i think i should eat clean because i dont need extra fat coming along to my normal daily macros ,
i think im going to add some peanut butter ,sweet potatos that will do the thing !

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
My motto has always been 1 lb of protein... For your goal weight. Not your current weight. Everyone responds to macronutrients differently. The trick is finding what works best for your body. You'll get tons of great advice here, but in the end you need to figure out your ideal diet. It took a couple years for me.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Bold=Bro Science :) , he can put on size on a totally clean diet. Is he gonna have fat gains compared to a dirty one? Of course! On both you are gonna get fat, since you are running a kCalorie surplus and our bodies are not perfect enough to process all of them into muscle and just the needed energy to survive, recover and build muscle...Also, we never have the exact ammount of kCalories only needed for building muscle, nor is it a perfect process.

OP Add kCals, clean or dirty is your choice...just don't go for usual generalized terms that go even against logic like saying "Unless you do this you will never get this!!"...If you eat more you will gain weight...period...

(No i'm not arguing if staying on a clean or dirty diet is better, I am arguing that its bad advice to say that if he doesn't eat sh1t he won't gain weight.)

bomb

Awards
ahhh im getting crazy with this sh** . i dont get it .. i just added some things to my diet and now the whole plan is confused lol
check this out :
8 am : 200 gr oats , 30 gr whey and 2 tablespoons pb
9.30 : 250 gr sweet potatos
11 train with 30 gr whey and 50 gr rice cake
2 pm : 120 gr chicken breast, 130 gr rice and 30 gr nuts
6 pm 120 gr chicken breast and 30 gr nuts
11 pm 250 gr cottage cheese and 15 gr nuts
okay there are now 193 gr protein , 350 gr carbs and 88 gr fat - 3024 kcals - not enough kcals i guess and i need to add something without adding protein or fat but it needs to have lots of kcals - im confused - pls help me out ( maybe i´ll add some olive oil but then i have to much fat aaaaargh ...)

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
ahhh im getting crazy with this sh** . i dont get it .. i just added some things to my diet and now the whole plan is confused lol
check this out :
8 am : 200 gr oats , 30 gr whey and 2 tablespoons pb
9.30 : 250 gr sweet potatos
11 train with 30 gr whey and 50 gr rice cake
2 pm : 120 gr chicken breast, 130 gr rice and 30 gr nuts
6 pm 120 gr chicken breast and 30 gr nuts
11 pm 250 gr cottage cheese and 15 gr nuts
okay there are now 193 gr protein , 350 gr carbs and 88 gr fat - 3024 kcals - not enough kcals i guess and i need to add something without adding protein or fat but it needs to have lots of kcals - im confused - pls help me out ( maybe i´ll add some olive oil but then i have to much fat aaaaargh ...)
Add more carbs lol and merely neglect the Trace amounts of protein and fact, its ok don't be OCD :p! If you add brown rice or more oats or w.e carbs , theya re gonna have prot/fat in them too, just don't take into account...its known as Trace values...again , the numbers I gave before are just essentials, no problem going above, just don't stay below them :p!

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
When the weather cools down, I want to do a big bulk, I'll be my dietary advisor
I wish I could do that. I live in Florida so I'm lucky if it's colder than 50 for a month, lol

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Bold=Bro Science :) , he can put on size on a totally clean diet. Is he gonna have fat gains compared to a dirty one? Of course! On both you are gonna get fat, since you are running a kCalorie surplus and our bodies are not perfect enough to process all of them into muscle and just the needed energy to survive, recover and build muscle...Also, we never have the exact ammount of kCalories only needed for building muscle, nor is it a perfect process.

OP Add kCals, clean or dirty is your choice...just don't go for usual generalized terms that go even against logic like saying "Unless you do this you will never get this!!"...If you eat more you will gain weight...period...

(No i'm not arguing if staying on a clean or dirty diet is better, I am arguing that its bad advice to say that if he doesn't eat sh1t he won't gain weight.)
Its not bro science it is anecdotal evidence. Have you tried to consume a surplus of 4500+ calories on clean food its damn near impossible unless you do not posses a job or a life and probably wouldn't even have time to train. So what you are saying, in science, is completely correct and I agree with you. A kCal is a kCal regardless of where it comes from, but when your BMR is 2600 and your 215 shooting for 235 dirty meals become your best friend. If you notice the IMO as the third character in my statement right off the bat there was a disclaimer that this was my opinion. I am speaking from experience as a competitive bodybuilder and student currently perusing a masters degree in exercise physiology. If you view some of my other posts every time scientific evidence is need it is provided in studies and reviews I am not looking to argue either, I am just not one for bro science and do not take my statements being called such lightly. It was, as stated, voicing my opinion.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Its not bro science it is anecdotal evidence. Have you tried to consume a surplus of 4500+ calories on clean food its damn near impossible unless you do not posses a job or a life and probably wouldn't even have time to train. So what you are saying, in science, is completely correct and I agree with you. A kCal is a kCal regardless of where it comes from, but when your BMR is 2600 and your 215 shooting for 235 dirty meals become your best friend. If you notice the IMO as the third character in my statement right off the bat there was a disclaimer that this was my opinion. I am speaking from experience as a competitive bodybuilder and student currently perusing a masters degree in exercise physiology. If you view some of my other posts every time scientific evidence is need it is provided in studies and reviews I am not looking to argue either, I am just not one for bro science and do not take my statements being called such lightly. It was, as stated, voicing my opinion.
If its your opinion that's fine. I do agree it is quite a hazzle to eat a LARGE number of Clean kCalories the thing is, people sometimes take those words as:

"If I am bulking then I can eat all the sh1t food I want!" and then they will say: "Why am I gaining so much fat!??"

It is hard, but not impossible, I merely think you meant good, as to say he shouldn't stress over it and cheat once in a while to add kCals , but I just didn't want him to go right ahead and take it as: ":lets feast on McDonalds!" Just don't generalize, its true you can grow on BOTH (Dirty and clean) , its just the kCalorie game, as long as you are on a surplus you will grow.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
If its your opinion that's fine. I do agree it is quite a hazzle to eat a LARGE number of Clean kCalories the thing is, people sometimes take those words as:

"If I am bulking then I can eat all the sh1t food I want!" and then they will say: "Why am I gaining so much fat!??"

It is hard, but not impossible, I merely think you meant good, as to say he shouldn't stress over it and cheat once in a while to add kCals , but I just didn't want him to go right ahead and take it as: ":lets feast on McDonalds!" Just don't generalize, its true you can grow on BOTH (Dirty and clean) , its just the kCalorie game, as long as you are on a surplus you will grow.
You are correct in you assumption about the cheat meals and I thank you for pointing out that it is not a free pass to eat ****, as i forget sometimes that my mind set is not the same as others. I was not generalizing though I was stating an opinion, and made no claims in science, and it was voiced as so. Had I made a claim in science and neglect to disclose that my post was purely opinion then I would say you are correct for calling me out generalizing but this was not the case. I do thank you though for making sure to clarify that there is no free and clear pass to eat **** while bulking.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You are correct in you assumption about the cheat meals and I thank you for pointing out that it is not a free pass to eat ****, as i forget sometimes that my mind set is not the same as others. I was not generalizing though I was stating an opinion, and made no claims in science, and it was voiced as so. Had I made a claim in science and neglect to disclose that my post was purely opinion then I would say you are correct for calling me out generalizing but this was not the case. I do thank you though for making sure to clarify that there is no free and clear pass to eat **** while bulking.
:D Its all about the mind set, no harm done, I didn't mean to offend you. My way of posting is a bit misunderstood at times too!

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
:D Its all about the mind set, no harm done, I didn't mean to offend you. My way of posting is a bit misunderstood at times too!
No offense taken whatsoever, these boards just leave a lot open to interpretation. Its good to see another individual giving educated advice. Good talking to you, thanks again for clarifying my post to the OP.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
No offense taken whatsoever, these boards just leave a lot open to interpretation. Its good to see another individual giving educated advice. Good talking to you, thanks again for clarifying my post to the OP.
My pleasure and thanks for taking the time to post back and not rage! Honestly, thanks for Helping OP too. That;s AM motto! Learn, Teach, Lead after all!

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Fully agree with both parties. Good info for the OP.

I ate 2 large pizzas a day trying to gain weight in college. It worked but I put fat on as well. Also it makes switching to a clean diet for summer that much mentally harder. Yoyo diets have health concerns as well.

In my best shape I ate balanced meals, mostly from whole/super foods. Lost weight but performed physically much better. That Lead to more intense training.

bomb

Awards
okay this was my first day adding pb and sweet potatos -
i didnt feel bloated or anything else so i guess ill add some more kcals until i reach the 3300 and then watch what happens in 2or3 weeks!
i have also omega3 caps at home, 1 capsule contains : fatty acids 500mg
when and how many should i take ?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
okay this was my first day adding pb and sweet potatos -
i didnt feel bloated or anything else so i guess ill add some more kcals until i reach the 3300 and then watch what happens in 2or3 weeks!
i have also omega3 caps at home, 1 capsule contains : fatty acids 500mg
when and how many should i take ?
Are you using anything to track these calories? I used an ap called lose it! There are many other good ones, web sites as well. It just makes life easier. It also helps when you have positive changes you can look at what your diet was during that time.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you using anything to track these calories? I used an ap called lose it! There are many other good ones, web sites as well. It just makes life easier. It also helps when you have positive changes you can look at what your diet was during that time.
Diet apps are great to have. Im using caloriecounter, keeps you honest, and your more accurate calorie/macro wise.

bomb

Awards
yeah i use a software called kaloma ( in german)
so i know exactly how many kcals i eat per day - it also gives me information about prot/carbs and fat measured in gr or oz