Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Abs not showing?!

Im 15 years old and i was currently over weight at 185 then went down to 146! I dont have much fat on me anymore but i can only see the outline of my abs:/ i workout 6 times a week with cardio everyday and i also play rugby! I eat really healthy so idk whats wrong maybe its just loose skin so any help/suggestions! Maybe bulk up abs idk? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.02%

Visible abs is all about bf% excluding a rare few who have massive abs (See Konstantin Konstantinovs).
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.02%

Lower your calories, cut out processed foods and lift heavy.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.53%

What Krampus said... You did a great job dropping the weight. You just need to keep goin. These last few bf%'s are the hardest. Just a guess but your at prolly 15% and you want to get to 10 or below.

Keep up the good work and stick to a clean diet.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.02%

Or become Konstantin Konstantinovs at around 12% the worlds biggest six pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ka0tik View Post
    What Krampus said... You did a great job dropping the weight. You just need to keep goin. These last few bf%'s are the hardest. Just a guess but your at prolly 15% and you want to get to 10 or below.

6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.69%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You may need to add more mass to your abs and core...great job with losing weight but you need to grow some hearty muscle
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.55%

Quote Originally Posted by howwedo107
    You may need to add more mass to your abs and core...great job with losing weight but you need to grow some hearty muscle
    I agree, fantastic job on the weight loss, now you should concentrate on lifting heavy, and putting on some lean mass, and your definition will really start to show.
    Good luck
    Peace
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Thanks ill continue to lift!
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by ka0tik

I dont think im 15% because i can barely pull any skin anywhere except for at my belly!
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus
    Visible abs is all about bf% excluding a rare few who have massive abs (See Konstantin Konstantinovs).
    Saw his abs i dont think they look too good but thats sick lol! But id rather not say that to him!
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You need to grow some abs to show some abs !

That being said, you dropped weight, not fat. Difference is, you lost a lot of poundage which could have been muscle mass and water too, to get ABS you have to have BUILT them first, and then burned the fat around them with proper dieting, exercising and sleep. Post up your diet if you want, I could give yah some advise for you to bulk up to a normal weight for your size and then you can cut out the fat to have some abs.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Lean bulk (add muscle with very little fat)

Or cut. Your small and cutting is easier with more muscle mass. Your about 15% bf. That is in no way a bad number. Way better than an average person!

Congrats on the weight loss. I play rugby as well. Hit me up with any questions.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Alright ill prob lean bulk! About how many calories should i eat a day and im guessing most would be protein and carbs then vegetables and grains?
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Body View Post
    Alright ill prob lean bulk! About how many calories should i eat a day and im guessing most would be protein and carbs then vegetables and grains?
    Calculate TDEE and adjust to this ratios:

Essential Macronutrients:

.45 to .5 grams of fats per pound of body weight.

1 to 1.25 grams of protein per pounds of body weight (IMO no more than 1 is needed)

The rest of your kCalories come from Carb sources.

Let me explain...Your fats+protein will give you a number of kCalories , you subtract this to your TDEE and then divide it by 4. This will be your Maintenance level. For example at your stats:

Around a TDEE estimate of 2700 so:

150g protein
    70-75g fat
    360g~ of carbs

That is only to mantain. (Remember 1g of prot=4 kCals and 1 gram of carbs also=4 kCals , 1g of fat is 9 kCals)

Now if you wanna put on weight I would suggest increasing kCals every 2 weeks or so by about 250-500 kCals in the manner of carbohydrates mainly. So you would be looking at:

3200 kCals (for Workout days, on Rest days I would suggest lowering to just 2800~kCals , again from carbs)

150g prot
    70g fat
    500g~ carbs

Complex carbs, whole food sources , don't take supplements...you are too young.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Thanks alot bro! That really helped and ill start doing that! What about whey shakes because ive been using those alot?
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Thanks alot bro! That really helped and ill start doing that! What about whey shakes because ive been using those alot?
    Not better than a steak or egg whites...or tuna...or actual food. If your parents condone it fine, I don't see the need, but I know its just whey so nothing wrong either.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Alright its not much throught it only 25g per scoop but i also eat alot of chicken and eggs!
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Alright its not much throught it only 25g per scoop but i also eat alot of chicken and eggs!
    Steak, ground beef/turkey, milk, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, turkey. Those are good friends too.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Lol we meet everyday! ?
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Lol we meet everyday! ?
    excellent!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Yep so would this lean bulk be good to drop body fat or should i just cut? I was told that im around 15% but i have no accurate stats an i guess i want to be at around 10%
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Yep so would this lean bulk be good to drop body fat or should i just cut? I was told that im around 15% but i have no accurate stats an i guess i want to be at around 10%
    Lean Bulks don't cut fat...they build muscle and ideally gain you NO fat. Trust me, at 10% with your weight and size you would look skinny rather than lean. Pack some muscle, your body will recomposition nicely along the way by being that young.

Google Starting Strength it is a training program for beginners. Or you can also google 5x5. I would recommend you start with SS anyways so you learn proper form and the basic compound movements.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Alright so i should stay at 15%? An ive been doing p90x thats how i lost all the weight i had but i guess i should veer more towards heavy lifting?!
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Alright so i should stay at 15%? An ive been doing p90x thats how i lost all the weight i had but i guess i should veer more towards heavy lifting?!
    Please do so...and no matter what...Stay away from CrossFit people...-This is just My personal opinion, I just think they only set you up for joint damage...and well many other bad consequences...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza

Please do so...and no matter what...Stay away from CrossFit people...-This is just My personal opinion, I just think they only set you up for joint damage...and well many other bad consequences...
    Alright ill stop that and start just plain lifting! Thanks again for all the help!
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Alright ill stop that and start just plain lifting! Thanks again for all the help!
    And do cardio too.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.5%

Find people you can trust and who have knowledge on the subject. Preferably this would be someone with an education in kinesiology, exercise physiology, etc. Then, ask them as many questions as they will possibly allow. Ask about everything but most importantly form, have yours critiqued and always be open to suggestions, with good reason. Soak it all up like a sponge, get some books on proven programs, read articles and studies. Take in as much knowledge as you possibly can. I will say this though and head this warning, there is a lot of bullsh*t out there. People will want you to do this and do that, thats why you need someone you can trust and if the information you are receiving isn't grounded in science it isn't worth a thing. And please do not listen to your buddies about "oh this supplement, oh this exercise" stick to the basics get your diet in check and work the old school time tested lifts they will never fail you.
    Last edited by NYiron; 07-31-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: grammer
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Yeah i do lot of cardio! Run/bike everyday and rugby practice for 2 1/2hrs every other day!
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

Find people you can trust and who has knowledge on the subject. Preferably this would be someone with an education in kinesiology, exercise physiology, etc. Then, ask them as many questions as they will possibly allow. Ask about everything but most importantly form, have yours critiqued and always be open to suggestions, with good reason. Soak it all up like a sponge, get some books on proven programs, read articles and studies. Take in as much knowledge as you possibly can. I will say this though and head this warning, there is a lot of bullsh*t out there. People will want you to do this and do that, thats why you need someone you can trust and if the information you are receiving isn't grounded in science it is worth a thing. And please do not listen to your buddies about "oh this supplement, oh this exercise" stick to the basics get your diet in check and work the old school time tested lifts they will never fail you.
    Seems legit thanks bro!
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.5%

Seems legit thanks bro!
    No problem. Good luck, I envy you just starting out. Welcome to the iron lifestyle once its got you it never lets go. Enjoy the ride kid your in for quite an experience. Never lose sight of your goals no matter what happens, keep moving forward.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron

No problem. Good luck, I envy you just starting out. Welcome to the iron lifestyle once its got you it never lets go. Enjoy the ride kid your in for quite an experience. Never lose sight of your goals no matter what happens, keep moving forward.
    Thanks man and its true! Its something that you dont want to leave lol
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.57%

You got to build yourself up bud, you are young like me and we can gain muscle way quicker than. most people. Cel gave you some great advice with your diet so make sure not to brush off his advice because you will regret it. You should start a simple but effective workout progran 5x5 or 5/3/1 and make sure to research, learn and research some more. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP DOING BEACH MUSCLES!! shredded abs on a skinny guy is like nice tits on a fat girl. Compound lifts are god, learn proper technique and dont go to heavy untill form is great! Supplements are useless and dumb without a good base, routine and diet. If you sleep big, eat big and lift big; your will be amaze at the results
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
  33. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.98%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by benmayro View Post
    You got to build yourself up bud, you are young like me and we can gain muscle way quicker than. most people. Cel gave you some great advice with your diet so make sure not to brush off his advice because you will regret it. You should start a simple but effective workout progran 5x5 or 5/3/1 and make sure to research, learn and research some more. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP DOING BEACH MUSCLES!! shredded abs on a skinny guy is like nice tits on a fat girl. Compound lifts are god, learn proper technique and dont go to heavy untill form is great! Supplements are useless and dumb without a good base, routine and diet. If you sleep big, eat big and lift big; your will be amaze at the results
    I second this. Because I also see that underneath NYiron posted about who you should trust; and Cel is one of those people. That being said, BMR is only an estimate (and tbh calculator estimates are not accurate BMR calculations, because not all tissue is metabolically active; and especially if were are only estimating BF%). Its more of an RMR estimate , and also BMR doesnt include any exercise you do or the thermic effect of food, so be sure to add in the calories when you are exercising. BMR isnt your calorie maintainence, only what your body uses at rest to sustain life (metabolic things, heart rate, breathing, kidney function etc. etc.) so when you workout hard over this BMR, perhaps >1000kcals of extra work and you only eat at BMR levels, then you WILL drop weight without GAINING.

Estimate how much work your doing on top of BMR then add in +500kcals on top of this to bulk.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.97%

Heavy compound lifts. Oly lifts.

Don't avoid cross fit, don't get to sucked into it. Your not a body builder and a lot of crossfit will transfer to improved athletic performance.

I wouldn't worry about your bf. The fact that you lost that much off p90x means when you start really training you'll lean out and grow. Being young has it's perks.

Eat a lot of protein, I strongly recommend counting calories for a while. This requires weighing food... I can easily eye out 8oz of chicken, not guess. Because I used a food scale for years.

Rugby is a lot of running. Avoid dead lifts close to games or contact practices. Cleans will be your beat friend. Do them heavy. Your a back I'm guessing?
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz

I second this. Because I also see that underneath NYiron posted about who you should trust; and Cel is one of those people. That being said, BMR is only an estimate (and tbh calculator estimates are not accurate BMR calculations, because not all tissue is metabolically active; and especially if were are only estimating BF%). Its more of an RMR estimate , and also BMR doesnt include any exercise you do or the thermic effect of food, so be sure to add in the calories when you are exercising. BMR isnt your calorie maintainence, only what your body uses at rest to sustain life (metabolic things, heart rate, breathing, kidney function etc. etc.) so when you workout hard over this BMR, perhaps >1000kcals of extra work and you only eat at BMR levels, then you WILL drop weight without GAINING.

Estimate how much work your doing on top of BMR then add in +500kcals on top of this to bulk.
    I don't get your post, I proposed him to work over his TDEE not BMR , which is still only an estimate of the energy needed to maintain, hence I added the info of creating a surplus with the ratios for the essential macro nutrients. Also mentioned he has to keep increasing kCalories and from where actually (carbs and to adjust prot and fat effectively for the new weights). Again since it is all an estimate he has to try it out and keep track to find his TDEE (maintenance level) accurately and this adjust the amount of carbs needed to create a surplus. Again, prot and fats are essentially weight dependent and cabs are dependent upon kCalories needed for a surplus or maintenance.

Can I ask, where you saying I am the kinda people NY advised him against or for? Just wondering because I didn't pay much attention to his post.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.98%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    I don't get your post, I proposed him to work over his TDEE not BMR , which is still only an estimate of the energy needed to maintain, hence I added the info of creating a surplus with the ratios for the essential macro nutrients. Also mentioned he has to keep increasing kCalories and from where actually (carbs and to adjust prot and fat effectively for the new weights). Again since it is all an estimate he has to try it out and keep track to find his TDEE (maintenance level) accurately and this adjust the amount of carbs needed to create a surplus. Again, prot and fats are essentially weight dependent and cabs are dependent upon kCalories needed for a surplus or maintenance.

Can I ask, where you saying I am the kinda people NY advised him against or for? Just wondering because I didn't pay much attention to his post.
    Haha, no. I meant your one of the people whose advice he should trust. From what NYiron said, it just seemed like it could be misinterpreted and discrediting your advice, which i'm sure wasn't the intention, just the way I read it.

And, I wasn't proposing that you advised him wrong; I was explaining to him what BMR was and that this shouldnt be confused with TDEE, because ive read a few times in the past here people getting confused between the two and relying on calculators that estimate BMR and thinking this their calorie maintainece.

Wasn't taking a dig at you in any form; any person on this forum knows you give sound advice.
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Haha, no. I meant your one of the people whose advice he should trust. From what NYiron said, it just seemed like it could be misinterpreted and discrediting your advice, which i'm sure wasn't the intention, just the way I read it.

And, I wasn't proposing that you advised him wrong; I was explaining to him what BMR was and that this shouldnt be confused with TDEE, because ive read a few times in the past here people getting confused between the two and relying on calculators that estimate BMR and thinking this their calorie maintainece.

Wasn't taking a dig at you in any form; any person on this forum knows you give sound advice.
    Thanks for the kind words haha...Sorry I just really didn't get it at first. I did think NY was trying to discredit me, but reading him write in another thread: "If you don't eat dirty on a bulk you wont put on size" puts me at ease of having made a mistake here hehe.
    All I intend is to help out, although we all know this are just essential guidelines and standards, OP has to find out what works BEST for him, and has to have the usual trial and error to find his Maintenance level and to start molding his diet around it. We all do , but a bit of help and pointers of where to start always help I guess!!

That said, what Beny said is also true and I told him so too...He is too young to need or take supplements, and even at higher ages, for body composition its 99% diet+training+rest and only 1% supplementation IMO.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.98%

Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post
    Thanks for the kind words haha...Sorry I just really didn't get it at first. I did think NY was trying to discredit me, but reading him write in another thread: "If you don't eat dirty on a bulk you wont put on size" puts me at ease of having made a mistake here hehe.
    All I intend is to help out, although we all know this are just essential guidelines and standards, OP has to find out what works BEST for him, and has to have the usual trial and error to find his Maintenance level and to start molding his diet around it. We all do , but a bit of help and pointers of where to start always help I guess!!

That said, what Beny said is also true and I told him so too...He is too young to need or take supplements, and even at higher ages, for body composition its 99% diet+training+rest and only 1% supplementation IMO.
    Yeah it seemed that way too me; but tbh your rep power speaks for itself haha. The way I worded my post was a bit poor, I was just explaining the difference between TDEE and BMR, as i'm sure he will come across both terms and may assume they mean the same thing. So if he came across BMR he would know what to do and how to interpret it.

Hopefully that clears it up haha. And yeah I def agree, a supplement is just that, a supplement. And should only be used (imo) when macros cannot be hit through eating foods or if you are restricting a food type (i.e. a vegetarian who may need protein or iron etc because they dont eat meat).

39. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Quote Originally Posted by MM11
    Heavy compound lifts. Oly lifts.

Don't avoid cross fit, don't get to sucked into it. Your not a body builder and a lot of crossfit will transfer to improved athletic performance.

I wouldn't worry about your bf. The fact that you lost that much off p90x means when you start really training you'll lean out and grow. Being young has it's perks.

Eat a lot of protein, I strongly recommend counting calories for a while. This requires weighing food... I can easily eye out 8oz of chicken, not guess. Because I used a food scale for years.

Rugby is a lot of running. Avoid dead lifts close to games or contact practices. Cleans will be your beat friend. Do them heavy. Your a back I'm guessing?
    Ok thats good to hear! Yeah definitaly a back lol
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  146 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.18%

Thanks cel and everyone else, got more than i thought! And yeah im an outside center

Similar Forum Threads

1. PCT that will not show up on Drug test, im thinking AI PCT
    By AM360 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 01:37 PM
  2. Account order not showing
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
  3. Best way to make stubborn abs show?
    By SpikeDC in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
  4. What BF% do the lower abs start to show?
    By BigVrunga in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 03:25 PM
  5. Hot or Not Show
    By Gmonkey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 11:39 PM