Is sugar bad for bulking?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Is sugar bad for bulking?

Hiya lads. I'm new to this app and think its great.

My question is, I enjoy training.....not just weights. I enjoy runnin, swimming, rugby etc. I weight train 4 times a week. I enjoy bulking and strength training. I am taking mutant mass with my diet which is great and I am putting on weight well however in my diet I like my sugar in snacks. I would like to bulk more and put more weight on and was just wondering wether watching my sugar intake would make a difference??

Cheers

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  152 lbs.
    Answers

Yes sugar in excess is bad for many reasons from insulin resistance, oral hygiene, diabetes to causing increase in fat. Sugar is best ate(eaten?) Before or right after workout where the insulin spike is beneficial to muscles needing glycogen stores filled back up. If you like sugary foods I would eat more fruits because at least those have nutritional value such as vitamins, fiber etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  129 lbs.
    Answers

After a workout is best. bring your snacks to the gym
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

The bulk will be cleaner without the simple sugars. Like Snikey said above^^ eat fruits if you need the sweets.
    Always open light. It’s not what you open with, it’s what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Answers

I kill some carbs and sugars post workout. Sometimes s much as 500 grams of carbs.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Thanks lads. Great advice. Much appreciated.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Answers

If you have to have sugars, keep them post-workout. Unless it's something that makes you bloat, for me, I've never noticed a difference between clean or dirty foods PWO. I do most other times.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  216 lbs.
    Answers

Afer a workout u can benefit from sugar for that inlslin spike but any other sugar is a no
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  129 lbs.
    Answers

Acouple poptarts are heavenly post wo
  10. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

It shouldn't make much difference in terms of body composition as long as it falls in your parameters for carbohydrate consumption. For general health you are better off avoiding it, but for your physical condition it should make no difference really.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

My friend eats Sweeties post workout because he said the sugar used in it is Dextrose and its hard to buy bulk dextrose locally where we are... Thoughts? Opinions?
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VS91588
    My friend eats Sweeties post workout because he said the sugar used in it is Dextrose and its hard to buy bulk dextrose locally where we are... Thoughts? Opinions?
    tell your friend about bulk dextrose from amazon. now foods sells bulk dextrose, maltodextrin, and wms if youre into that bogus supplement
  13. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    It shouldn't make much difference in terms of body composition as long as it falls in your parameters for carbohydrate consumption. For general health you are better off avoiding it, but for your physical condition it should make no difference really.
    ^^^ this. Sugar is sugar. Eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Answers

What a sad thread. Sucrose = 1/2 glucose & 1/2 fructose. Look at what too much fructose does. Take a look at what high fructose corn syrup does, especially in the amounts typically imbibed by us giant, fat, lazy, unhealthy American slobs.

Post # 40 of this thread:

Detox
  15. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

One study on rats is not going to convince me of anything. I have eaten diets made up of varying sources of carbs from low GI to high in fruits to high in high fructose corn syrup etc. and see no change in fasting blood sugar, insulin sensitivity, cholesterol, BP, body composition, weight loss/gain or anything else from one to the other as long as my carb intake fits into my goal macros. As long as you are getting adequate protein and healthy fats and you are within calorie goal the carb source really doesn't seem to matter.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Answers

bpmartyr, I would really like to know how much HFCS you were eating/drinking that you still felt okay on. I'm not a big reader here so I don't know your AM story. Were you constantly monitoring with blood-sugar kit and blood-pressure machines? Regular blood-work? I will say this: for those who have insulin issues the benefit of fructose, as it is consumed in normal, natural quantities (my association is fruit +ose (sugar-word) is fructose) the fructose is a hepatic sugar. But when there's too much it can cause the liver to go haywire.

I eat a lot of good protein and plenty of animal fats, plenty of saturated animal fats. The most recent testing revealed an excellent cholesterol profile. But other people on my kind of diet would probably feel like crap and develop less than ideal blood lipid profiles. High fructose seems to be a wrench in the metabolic gears, though. If you're very active and using up glycogen it's not going to be anywhere near the problem for the, and I quote: "giant, fat, lazy, unhealthy American slobs."
  17. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Gokmog View Post
    If you're very active and using up glycogen it's not going to be anywhere near the problem for the, and I quote: "giant, fat, lazy, unhealthy American slobs."
    That I agree with. Any sugar in excess is going to be a problem.

I never went over the top but experimented with moderate servings of HFCS beverages multiple times per day and used BS kit and BP monitor. I was however not sedentary and would burn in excess of 1000 cals in a single cardio session. I would like to do even more testing but I was using excess stock from a friend who had a ton of extra test strips from a brand change. Those things are spendy.

I still keep what most fitness and nutrition conscious would consider a "clean diet" but now incorporate things like donuts, pie, pastries, pop tarts, white bread soda pop and the like into my refeeds and have never felt better. Moderation is probably a safe bet for anything imo.

Off to eat some high GI pasta.
  18. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr

That I agree with. Any sugar in excess is going to be a problem.

I never went over the top but experimented with moderate servings of HFCS beverages multiple times per day and used BS kit and BP monitor. I was however not sedentary and would burn in excess of 1000 cals in a single cardio session. I would like to do even more testing but I was using excess stock from a friend who had a ton of extra test strips from a brand change. Those things are spendy.

I still keep what most fitness and nutrition conscious would consider a "clean diet" but now incorporate things like donuts, pie, pastries, pop tarts, white bread soda pop and the like into my refeeds and have never felt better. Moderation is probably a safe bet for anything imo.

Off to eat some high GI pasta.
    I keep my macros on point and generally have no problems as far as body comp is concerned. My BP is fairly high for my age but that is genetic and is normal for me as it has been that way since I was 15. Which is why I made fitness so important in my life. Trying to avoid the 40-50 year old heart attack that is so common in my father's side of the family
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I keep my carbs low I only eat pre and post workout carbs. Other than that I keep my fats or green veggies high. My post workout carbs have been Grits and its been helping my muscles stay fuller on this low carb diet
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    ^^^ this. Sugar is sugar. Eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros.
    Boom! Exactly! Its already been proven.

Insulin resistance shouldn't be something to worry about if your taking the right supps, staying consistent with what ever cardio(HIIT or Low intensity long duration), and your killing it in the gym.

What supps can help Insulin "Sensitivty"?
    -Na-R-ALA
    -Fenugreek / 4-Hydroxyisoleucine
    -Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    -Gymnema sylvestre
    -Agmatine

About the oral hygiene, just take a shower before beatin' dem cheeks!

And I do see / realize the argument of someone getting all their carbohydrates from high GI processed sources, I mean if you were to sit on your phat butt all day and play video games 24/7, just eating nothing but high GI foods of course that obviously would not be healthy long term. But thats why people who consider the "If it fits your macros" have healthy habits aka being consistent with getting daily exercise.
    *LG Sciences Board Rep*
    Changing Lives is what I crave.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. is jogging bad for the knees?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM
  2. Pasta is it bad for you?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM
  4. What exactly is proper sleep for bulking?
    By MadeInCanada in forum Bulking
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
  5. Hot tub bad for bulking?
    By CarterMalone in forum Bulking
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 04:26 AM