Raw or Cooked Weight: Meat

X

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
Which way should I weigh my meat. Should it be when it's raw or cooked.? Appreciate the help.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
That's a good question, i normally do it afterward because some weight is lost after cooking.

X

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
Im almost unsure cause I know most nutrition labels are for raw weight but when I grill my chicken it shrinks so its less ounces. So say it takes 10oz raw to get 5oz cooked so not sure which way to weight it.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
to be honest im not a hundred % sure, i'm sure someone else will chime in

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Just assuming it would be precooked weight if you're measuring protein. You'll lose water, and possibly fat while cooking the meat, but protein shouldn't change. That would be going by nutrition info on a packaged meat...

J

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
I'd measure precooked because it's easier. But you can go by either; just look up the macros for whichever you choose.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're asking because you want to relate the weight of the meat to the nutrition label, weigh it pre-cooked. 6oz of raw chicken breast usually cooks down to around 4oz.

X

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
If you're asking because you want to relate the weight of the meat to the nutrition label, weigh it pre-cooked. 6oz of raw chicken breast usually cooks down to around 4oz.
When calculating macros you should weigh the meat raw instead of cooked. Correct.? :)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When calculating macros you should weigh the meat raw instead of cooked. Correct.? :)
Generally, although I think there are websites that have the macro breakdown of cooked meats by weight as well.

E

evodrag

Awards
This is a question Ive been wondering as well. Ive read lots of conflicting reports. Even on wedsites I see 4oz cookes as 22g of pro then Ill read 4oz of raw in 22g....WTF!?!? So I decided on 6oz cooked. yolo F it

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chicken and turkey lose one ounce on cooking

Chicken cooked 1oz is about 8.5 g protein and turkey is about 9-9.5 protein ( for 99% lean)

Fish and steak don't lose much on cooking. Same with lamb. So I would keep thr at 7 g per ounce roughly