Help with bulking macros anyone ?

StayingFit4Li

Awards
Allright so I used the Harris Benedict Formula and i got for maintenance at 2676.6 + 250 Surplus just finished cut easing into bulk
and for macros i went 40/40/20 and worked out to be protein 292.5 Carbs 292.5 fats 65 do i really need that much protein
as im only 5ft 6 150 pounds seems like alot of calories help anyone much appreciated.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Allright so I used the Harris Benedict Formula and i got for maintenance at 2676.6 + 250 Surplus just finished cut easing into bulk
and for macros i went 40/40/20 and worked out to be protein 292.5 Carbs 292.5 fats 65 do i really need that much protein
as im only 5ft 6 150 pounds seems like alot of calories help anyone much appreciated.
For bulk the essential protein requirements are 1g-1.25g of protein per LB of bodyweight , and fats are .45-.5g per pound of body weight...the rest should be carbs, how many times do you train a week? I am pretty sure you could be underestimating maintenance , though this is ok for now, since you have to Reverse diet and ease into a bulk, you might want to reassess your maint level in 2 weeks or so or you might not see the gains you wish to see.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Less protein and more fats, but the HB equation for maintenance is highly flawed.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Here are my personal stats and bulk info for when I started gaining. Hopefully this'll help you out a bit.

At 5'5" 158 and 5% BF using katch-mckardle I came out to using 3200 to bulk, about 450 kcal surplus. My macro breakdown is 320g carbs, 240g protein, 110g fat. If you use good clean food sources this should work out pretty well for you.

I'd recommend this over yours. You want about 1-1.5 on protein but the most important thing is your carb intake. You really need to make that the majority of your caloric intake.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Here are my personal stats and bulk info for when I started gaining. Hopefully this'll help you out a bit.

At 5'5" 158 and 5% BF using katch-mckardle I came out to using 3200 to bulk, about 450 kcal surplus. My macro breakdown is 320g carbs, 240g protein, 110g fat. If you use good clean food sources this should work out pretty well for you.

I'd recommend this over yours. You want about 1-1.5 on protein but the most important thing is your carb intake. You really need to make that the majority of your caloric intake.
Good advice on the macro range, and wow...much envy bro, I am 5'5" too and when I cut to 7% I was a 125.6 lb beanpole...I need mass :D!! Respect for a fellow short guy who has accomplished an amazing physique!

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards

Is it reasonable to have high fat? I'm currently ate the same height & weight. I'm 5'5 & 155.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Is it reasonable to have high fat? I'm currently ate the same height & weight. I'm 5'5 & 155.
BF % you are at? And yeah...Fats are good for you bro :/...

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
BF % you are at? And yeah...Fats are good for you bro :/...
To answer your question on BF %, I really have no idea. I always thought fats should be at 0.5g per lb of BW or is that only for a recomp diet?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
To answer your question on BF %, I really have no idea. I always thought fats should be at 0.5g per lb of BW or is that only for a recomp diet?
Those are the ESSENTIAL levels basically , you can go higher , not a problem doing so...Specially for Burn/Rest days in order to increase recovery and hormonal development since people usually tend to cut out fat levels from their workout-day-diets :blink: Look into Ketogenic diets, they have HIGER levels of fat than this when they are bulking, many guys here "claim" to be bad with carbs and have real LOW CARB lifestyles and indulge in high fats without any problems...The thing is...unless you have a GI disorder, there is just no way you are "bad with carbs" its just something made up by people who don't control their macros right or miscalculate their Maint calories :p!

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
Those are the ESSENTIAL levels basically , you can go higher , not a problem doing so...Specially for Burn/Rest days in order to increase recovery and hormonal development since people usually tend to cut out fat levels from their workout-day-diets :blink: Look into Ketogenic diets, they have HIGER levels of fat than this when they are bulking, many guys here "claim" to be bad with carbs and have real LOW CARB lifestyles and indulge in high fats without any problems...The thing is...unless you have a GI disorder, there is just no way you are "bad with carbs" its just something made up by people who don't control their macros right or miscalculate their Maint calories :p!
Appreciate it Mann.
Mind me asking what your macros & cals might be.?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Appreciate it Mann.
Mind me asking what your macros & cals might be.?
I'm bulking at the moment :/ I'm at 3000 kCals a day for Workout days so...Around 450-500 grams of carbs , around 65-70g of fats and 140-155g of protein , it varies but I try to keep it in those numbers :p!

Keep in mind I lift 4 times a week 5/3/1 style with 3 assistance exercises (Dave Tate's Periodization bible scheme) and do cardio 3 times a week on the 3 rest days , so all 7 days are active days :p

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
I'm bulking at the moment :/ I'm at 3000 kCals a day for Workout days so...Around 450-500 grams of carbs , around 65-70g of fats and 140-155g of protein , it varies but I try to keep it in those numbers :p!

Keep in mind I lift 4 times a week 5/3/1 style with 3 assistance exercises (Dave Tate's Periodization bible scheme) and do cardio 3 times a week on the 3 rest days , so all 7 days are active days :p
Pretty nice breakdown. Appreciate it.
If you don't mind giving feedback on my cal & macros.
3500 kcals / 220g P/ 440g C/ 97g F

Was thinking of dropping the fat to 70g and add more protein & carbs.? What do you think bro.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Pretty nice breakdown. Appreciate it.
If you don't mind giving feedback on my cal & macros.
3500 kcals / 220g P/ 440g C/ 97g F

Was thinking of dropping the fat to 70g and add more protein & carbs.? What do you think bro.
Cutting...bulking?...Recomping?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Bulking. I'm 5'5 & 155. No idea what my BF % is.
Hm...I agree with the 3500 kCals...but if bulking, remember only 1g-1.25g of protein are needed and .45g-.5g of fat per pound of BW are needed also...so IMO you would be far better off with 155-165g of protein , 75-80g of fat and the rest from carbs...if you are doing 3500kCals it would be something around 550g of carbs...

XGabrielEdgeX

Awards
Hm...I agree with the 3500 kCals...but if bulking, remember only 1g-1.25g of protein are needed and .45g-.5g of fat per pound of BW are needed also...so IMO you would be far better off with 155-165g of protein , 75-80g of fat and the rest from carbs...if you are doing 3500kCals it would be something around 550g of carbs...
Niceee.! Verryy much appreciated.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Niceee.! Verryy much appreciated.
anytime, don;t get scared or too excited with sudden weight fluctuation from the first days, your body will hold more water until it adapts to that much glycogen and well...carbs have that effect lol

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
Good advice here. I'd definitely listen to what is being put out. Thanks for the props by the way. It's much appreciated.

Also to the OP: make sure after two to four weeks you weigh again and figure out updated macro counts. Many times guys will wonder why after four weeks or do they stop gaining, yet they haven't increased their intake again to push themselves further up the scale.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Good advice here. I'd definitely listen to what is being put out. Thanks for the props by the way. It's much appreciated.

Also to the OP: make sure after two to four weeks you weigh again and figure out updated macro counts. Many times guys will wonder why after four weeks or do they stop gaining, yet they haven't increased their intake again to push themselves further up the scale.
Honest words only brother!

And burn makes an excellent point, people set themselves up for plateaus because they forget that with increased weight, comes increased BMR THUS increased caloric needs too sustain growth!