Advice on beginning bicep curls

T

Tizko

Awards
So I have decided to try and build my arms up a bit, and went out and bought a barbell which came with 2x 2.5kg, 2x 5kg and 2x 7.5 kg weights. I have heard about people tearing and injuring themselves by jumping right in at the deep end.. I would appreciate it very much, if any of you experienced lifters out there can give me some advice on how to get started properly; like how many sets and reps I should do and what weight I should use to begin? I am 5'9 and 95 kg if that helps :)
Cheers !

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i would start with whatever weight effectively gets you in a 10 rep range

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I'm terrible at pullups lol but I know how important they are.

StickmanLee

StickmanLee

Awards
10-12 reps good to start with. 3 sets will probably be enough to start. Start real easy and see how sore you are. The soreness is the muscle fibers repairing so don't train them while they're still sore. I'd have at least 3 days off to start.

The soreness will soon go within a few weeks, this is a sign to up your intensity. A good start is to add more weight or do an extra set.

Remember your biceps are only about 25% the circumference of your arms you want to train your triceps.

Hope this is helpful and good luck :)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I would go with anywhere between 8 and 12 reps

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never heard of anyone short of pro level tearing a bicep with curls. part of it is just the central nervous system activation - someone who isn't highly trained and been working at it for years can't summon the force of will to create that much contractile force.