hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
stick with cc, casein is a gimmick as far as im concerned

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Cottage cheese , greek yogurt , whole milk...you know...REAL foods , not powders haha...just saying, you should get your nutrients from whole foods better ;)!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'd always go with actual foods. They fill you up better, usually taste better, and have more nutrients.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Both, neither, one or the other, doesn't really matter too much just hit your daily macros

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
It just sounds like someone is worried about the "whole night metabolism" and "not losing muscle" while asleep lol which is pure broscience but meh...like david said , both , neither , one or the other , protein is protein man...only hit your macros...

inda11

inda11

Awards
It just sounds like someone is worried about the "whole night metabolism" and "not losing muscle" while asleep lol which is pure broscience but meh...like david said , both , neither , one or the other , protein is protein man...only hit your macros...
You should never want your body in a catabolic state. People think your metabolism slows down while sleeping but that is not true at all.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
The human body is always switching between catabolism and anabolism it is natural even if you eat every two hours 9 times per day. What you want is NET anabolism. That will happen if you hit your macros (assuming you are going for building in a calorie surplus) and makes no difference if you hit your macros in 7 meals or 3.

A key term here would be protein turnover. your body is always breaking down and building up your protein stores.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You should never want your body in a catabolic state. People think your metabolism slows down while sleeping but that is not true at all.
I know it isn't and actually...you want a catabolic response from the body when cutting...just sparring muscle thats all , you want lypolisis...meh w.e , but yeah your metabolism doesn't slow down while sleeping , you do not lose muscle if you don't have a casein shake or cottage cheese or both at night , its all broscience...need studies...there's human trials with Intermittent fasting , they go ALL night faster and many hours more of the day...no need to worry about muscle catabolism...

inda11

inda11

Awards
The human body is always switching between catabolism and anabolism it is natural even if you eat every two hours 9 times per day. What you want is NET anabolism. That will happen if you hit your macros (assuming you are going for building in a calorie surplus) and makes no difference if you hit your macros in 7 meals or 3.

A key term here would be protein turnover. your body is always breaking down and building up your protein stores.
What would happen if i ate all my meals in one? Just talking hypothetically because that would be impossible. Would my body be fine for 24hrs?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
What would happen if i ate all my meals in one? Just talking hypothetically because that would be impossible. Would my body be fine for 24hrs?
Not at first because your body is not used to getting all of your nutrients in one meal but what you are asking is essentially what intermittent fasting is. Some people choose to consume all of their calories in a 4 hour window and fast for the other 20. Obviously hitting all your macros in one meal will be difficult just for the pure volume of food you have to eat and keep down at once. Over time if you chose to do this your body would become accustomed to just having one meal per day.

inda11

inda11

Awards
What about positive nitrogen balances? Is that possible if you go for periods with out food? I.e 9 hour sleep

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
It would be fine , it just has to adapt to it , you might get some SEVERE bloating and headaches the first times after eating THAT much food. I do IF , LeanGains style kinda...17-18 fast and 6-7 feeding window. Nothing bad happens , still growing hehe, and in a leaner fashion IME.
Not at first because your body is not used to getting all of your nutrients in one meal but what you are asking is essentially what intermittent fasting is. Some people choose to consume all of their calories in a 4 hour window and fast for the other 20. Obviously hitting all your macros in one meal will be difficult just for the pure volume of food you have to eat and keep down at once. Over time if you chose to do this your body would become accustomed to just having one meal per day.
And yeah what david said , it just has to adapt , a friend of mine does the ADF IF (Alternate Day Fasting) , kinda hardcore style...he eats all his kCals and macros in a 2-3 hour feeding window and fasts anywhere from 24-36 hours, kinda for life-extension porpoises and also to try and recomp effectively , so far he is up 3 lbs and dropped 2% BF in 3 months , slow but effective IMO.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Many have built muscle with intermittent fasting positive nitrogen balance is not about meal frequency it is about total daily macros, the net result of your daily diet. I am not saying to eat once per day lol but I am saying the differences between 3 meals vs 6+ will not matter for your gains, just trying to make life easier I used to eat that much too and now I only eat 4 larger meals now and my life is much better.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Many have built muscle with intermittent fasting positive nitrogen balance is not about meal frequency it is about total daily macros, the net result of your daily diet. I am not saying to eat once per day lol but I am saying the differences between 3 meals vs 6+ will not matter for your gains, just trying to make life easier I used to eat that much too and now I only eat 4 larger meals now and my life is much better.
Yeah I agree on this...the science behind IF is strong and it only meant one thing for me, the stress-free mentality of NOT having to carry around 6 tupperwares and set up alarms for every 2-3 hours...Seriously you enjoy life much more eating like a normal person some 3-4 BIG meals at the time you pick...besides that I love training fasted haha I set PRs in fasted training :p

inda11

inda11

Awards
So all this steady stream of nutrients is not important. Learning allot today thanks lads

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
So all this steady stream of nutrients is not important. Learning allot today thanks lads
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

Browse around the LeanGains guide and website...trust me it breaks everything you believe in atm , and its science-proven , with human trials. Complete studies , not just case studied also. Oh and wait until you hear about Carb Back Loading...damn...that sh1t paired up with IF...you won't believe it when you see it hahaha but it works SO good hahaha

inda11

inda11

Awards
Browse around the LeanGains guide and website...trust me it breaks everything you believe in atm , and its science-proven , with human trials. Complete studies , not just case studied also. Oh and wait until you hear about Carb Back Loading...damn...that sh1t paired up with IF...you won't believe it when you see it hahaha but it works SO good hahaha
So how long you been doing it? And what kind of gains you got from it?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
If you like eating multiple times per day then keep doing it. Some people don't like eating all day and prefer to do intermittent fasting. I would never want to do it because I prefer to eat throughout the day but if it is already in your personality then you could give it a try.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
So how long you been doing it? And what kind of gains you got from it?
About 3 months now , first I finished my cut , and managed to do the big hop from 9% to around 6.9% , without clen or anything , pure natty , diet and cardio. Got real f*cking shredded that way haha. Then I started Lean bulking , So far , yeah I'm back to around 8-9% BUT I have gotten 10lbs in this last month and a half of LEAN mass , and 5/3/1 training , from 125.6lbs to 135lbs , was at 138 but it was the bloat of creatine haha and water got drained anyway...so yeah , havent gained much fat , and gotten bigger...hm lifts are up a lot too , my max for deadlift was 205lbs now its up to 225 (today I set a kind of PR , got 210lbs for 7 reps) I'm pretty sure in like a week or 2 I'll be able to break my 1RM on deadlift again , squat went from 185 to 215 , OH military press went from like 60 to 105ish...Bench was a huge change , from around 155 to 185lbs 1RM...and I just keep setting new prs...but meh I AM really light , this is not a big deal in weights , but still yielding better results for me than carb cycling

inda11

inda11

Awards
About 3 months now , first I finished my cut , and managed to do the big hop from 9% to around 6.9% , without clen or anything , pure natty , diet and cardio. Got real f*cking shredded that way haha. Then I started Lean bulking , So far , yeah I'm back to around 8-9% BUT I have gotten 10lbs in this last month and a half of LEAN mass , and 5/3/1 training , from 125.6lbs to 135lbs , was at 138 but it was the bloat of creatine haha and water got drained anyway...so yeah , havent gained much fat , and gotten bigger...hm lifts are up a lot too , my max for deadlift was 205lbs now its up to 225 (today I set a kind of PR , got 210lbs for 7 reps) I'm pretty sure in like a week or 2 I'll be able to break my 1RM on deadlift again , squat went from 185 to 215 , OH military press went from like 60 to 105ish...Bench was a huge change , from around 155 to 185lbs 1RM...and I just keep setting new prs...but meh I AM really light , this is not a big deal in weights , but still yielding better results for me than carb cycling
Yeah you seem like your still only just starting out. You gain pretty easy but you will get to a stage where your gains slow down. i just think its because naturally you can only Get so big i guess. I weigh about 180 at around 10% bf at.21 years of age. Bench i can 150kg 1rep. Squat 195kg.1rep and dead lift is my weak exercise i can only dead lift 220kg. dead lift should be higher.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yeah you seem like your still only just starting out. You gain pretty easy but you will get to a stage where your gains slow down. i just think its because naturally you can only Get so big i guess. I weigh about 180 at around 10% bf at.21 years of age. Bench i can 150kg 1rep. Squat 195kg.1rep and dead lift is my weak exercise i can only dead lift 220kg. dead lift should be higher.
Hehe yeah my asset is I can cut fast , I like that , I used to be a 180lbs 30% BF ball of pig-fat :) , and cut out to 125.6lbs and 6.9% bf in 6-7 months ^^....I think now I'm not scared of bulking as I was before haha.

Oh and on that note , I started 10 months ago or so.

bigoz801

bigoz801

Awards
Cottage cheese with an apple before bed for fiber do it every night.

bigoz801

bigoz801

Awards
Keeps everything clean and clear through out the night and it helps break down the cottage cheese quicker. Honestly just the taste of cottage cheese is pretty nast but throw in some apple slices and the taste is a lot better but thats just me.

inda11

inda11

Awards
Keeps everything clean and clear through out the night and it helps break down the cottage cheese quicker. Honestly just the taste of cottage cheese is pretty nast but throw in some apple slices and the taste is a lot better but thats just me.
Yeah makes senses. I've had cottage cheese with pineapple before. Was really nice

bigoz801

bigoz801

Awards
Yeah makes senses. I've had cottage cheese with pineapple before. Was really nice
Oh hell yeah pineapple is bomb on cottage cheese. i wouldnt suggest eating that before bed pineapple is super high in sugar i usually have it after a workout.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Celorza and bid david are always on point with their advice. Ive done research on what they were referring to (how many meals in a day is ideal etc. in relation to CHO) and ive found that unless you exercise multiple times throughout the day (i.e 4-8hrs between sessions) then conuming food post-exercise asap is ideal to maximise muscle glycogen stores however if time between workouts is 20-24hrs+ then it doesnt matter when you get your macros in.

This is very broad and doesnt go into detail, but that is the jist of it.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
How about both together?
I do this. I mix 1/2 scoop of protien into 250g cottage cheese and 1 teaspoon of coco, 1 teaspoon of natty pb and1 large sachet of stevia. Then mix. Its not half bad.

shockingfit

shockingfit

Awards
I personally always pick solid food over supplements if available, there are other other ingredients in cottage cheese beside the protein content and these probably don't exist in casein powders at least not in a bio available form.

Kingjake

Kingjake

Awards
I could be a little off but their both good before bed so just go with what ur feeling that night doesn't have to be one or the other.. Cottage cheese is good n good for u. But If ur in the mood for something chocolate or vanilla go with shake ..

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Cottage cheese.

I do anywhere from 1/2lb to 1lb of 1-2% Friendship cottage cheese (pot-style,small curd or large curd) with a couple stevia packets and cinnamon (to taste). It's like a healthy desert that I can eat every night and still cut fat.

Sometimes I put a scoop of the same mixture onto a toasted slice of P28 bread. I highly suggest trying this out. I got a few CC haters to change their minds with that combo.

cardinal15

cardinal15

Awards
I cant stand CC so the casein shake is what I stick with. I usually only get about 6 hrs of sleep a night and when I wake up I still feel pretty full. but, to each their own I guess.

Califrniabear

Califrniabear

Awards
I mix 1 scoop of casein protein (chocolate for optimal flavor gains) with some egg beater, mix it up in a mug and microwave it for a minute. Makes a tasty lava cake-esque brownie

inda11

inda11

Awards
I mix 1 scoop of casein protein (chocolate for optimal flavor gains) with some egg beater, mix it up in a mug and microwave it for a minute. Makes a tasty lava cake-esque brownie
I tried this the other month. Really helps with craving of sweet things while cutting