Need Help

Football12

Football12

Awards
Hi I am new to this site and am wondering if anyone can help me make a diet to follow to gain weight. I am 17 years old 6'4 185lbs. I need help because i am a football QB and am talking to d1 colleges. They are all saying the same thing, that they will offer a full ride if i can put on some lbs (basically). Saban said that i need to preferably put on around 30lbs by the season (mid-september) to become part of tide nation which has always been my dream school to play for since i was a kid... Ill do whatever it takes, any help will be used and appreciated

Thanks in advance guys

FubarFit

Awards
I can't lay one out for you perfectly but with 30 pounds to gain in 4 months you are going to half to FORCE food down your throat. Considering you have 16 or so weeks and 30 lbs to gain You are trying to build the maximum amount of muscle your body will allow you to which is 2 lbs per week and that is very hard to do and mostly done with aa's.

But that being said figure out you DAILY CALORIE intake and add to it (there are websites and apps that do this for you Myfitnesspal.com is one). 3600 calories not burned equals 1 pound and you spread double that out over a week and you gain 2 lbs a week. You should have a decent macro split like 40% of your calories from protein 40% from carbs and 20% from fat. Eat a lot of meat and healthy fats like peanut butter really adds up calories.

If you want to gain MUSCLE then you should be working out more and doing cardio less. I don't know your training regimen but consider taking one more day off. A tip I got was if you are lifting 5x a week and you stop gaining lift 4x and then cut to 3x. More time to let your muscles recover and grow. And take in 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb/bodyweight (this number goes up as you gain weight).

I really don't know how far to get into this but my meals today were something like
Breakfast- 2 eggs a slice of ham and cheese on a bagel with a glass of milk. I think thats 750 calories.
Lunch- Chicken sandwhich and yogurt with granola. Not sure but got a lot of cals from the granola
Snack- PBJ easily 500 calories.
Dinner- I ate a lot like sausage ribs beans and potato salad and even pasta salad. Probably to many carbs and fat but just listen to everybody else on that.
Next I will have my pre bed meal which is going to keep me from catabolism at night with slow releasing protein.
something like 3/4 cup cottage cheese has 18 grams of casein protein. An apple, or banana, some peanut butter (the fat slows down digestion), Glass of milk has a gram of casein protein per oz.

Thats a lot of info hope it helps.

Football12

Football12

Awards
This is awesome man, thanks alot! Very useful information that i didnt know. How many meals do you think i should be eating in one day and how far spread out should they be?

FubarFit

Awards
This is awesome man, thanks alot! Very useful information that i didnt know. How many meals do you think i should be eating in one day and how far spread out should they be?
No problem man, we are all here to help. To answer your question you should eat around 5 meals maybe 6 not including your protein shake after workout. If you do that you will keep your metabolism higher and hopefully not get fat or screw it up. Food usually takes 2-3 hours to be digested so eating every 2 hours is recomended to prevent catabolism. **** the celtics lost.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TBH, for the amount of weight you need to gain in that time period and you being 17, eat as much as possible as often as you can. Doing it with clean foods might be challenging for you as the shear volume of food will be enormous (I'd say you should probably try to be around 6000-6500 cals/day).

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Football12

Football12

Awards
Will do guys thanks for all your help and support i started this morning, will weigh myself every friday and post results. If i have any ?'s ill ask.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you want to gain MUSCLE then you should be working out more and doing cardio less. I don't know your training regimen but consider taking one more day off. A tip I got was if you are lifting 5x a week and you stop gaining lift 4x and then cut to 3x. More time to let your muscles recover and grow. And take in 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb/bodyweight (this number goes up as you gain weight).
I disagree with the highlighted section. In terms of gaining weight quicker then perhaps cutting down a bit on cardio will help however you can still gain muscle by undergoing cardio.

check out sonny bill williams , he'll tell you you can do both.
Im guessing you want to remain fit, as you are a quarterback, last thing you want to do it gain muscle that decreases your ability to train well. I.e. sacrificing fitness for muscle growth.

FubarFit

Awards
Yeah Im on the fence with it. High intensity interval training is also good cardio since it is said to burn your fat as energy. I always feel better doing some cardio every week helps recovery by getting blood flowing but it burns the calories you want to grow.