Cardio While Bulking

matthewmmcc

Awards
hey all
so i started going to the gym a few months ago and im a lean ectomorph, aged 16. i got lovely and ripped and felt great, however i want to gain more muscle and i need to keep a surplus for height growth anyway! so im bulking and thats all fine, but i want to keep or even make better my abs and other muscles, stay lean/get leaner you know! now im not saying ive stumbled onto a genius way to stay lean while on a bulk, but tell me what you think of this. Ive never watched what ive eaten really, i do now though, so if i did HIIT and covered the calories burnt during it, would that help make me leaner? think about it, id take away fat accumulated during my life, but still have my bulking calories by eating extra on HIIT days. the calories id eat on hiit days would be clean ones, not dirty ones that put fat there in the first place. does that make any sense to anybody or am i explaining my theory incorrectly hahaha

docrx

docrx

Awards
well, you can't reall put on muscle and lose fat at the same time.
you can put on muscle and not get very fat, just keep it simple, dont eat too much, and eat clean, little cardio would not hurt either.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Docrx! I disagree with u... U can actually gain muscle and burn fat at the same time... Look it's gonna lead to a veryyyyy long and argumentive discussion and I would personally LOVE to be ingaged in that discussion.... But for the thread starter: yeah man just keep doing cardio or HIIT like 2-4 times a week and pound in quality food in you and u'll lose BF and gain muscle at the same time...

It's all about eating right and training smart...

LETS BRING ON THE EPIC DISCUSSION! :) I AM WAITING!

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Docrx! I disagree with u... U can actually gain muscle and burn fat at the same time... Look it's gonna lead to a veryyyyy long and argumentive discussion and I would personally LOVE to be ingaged in that discussion.... But for the thread starter: yeah man just keep doing cardio or HIIT like 2-4 times a week and pound in quality food in you and u'll lose BF and gain muscle at the same time...

It's all about eating right and training smart...

LETS BRING ON THE EPIC DISCUSSION! :) I AM WAITING!
he speaks the truth, even though it will be slower and you'll need to mess with your calorie intake for cardio day, it's better in the long run both for your cardiac health and to stay lean.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you can put on muscle and not get very fat, just keep it simple, dont eat too much, and eat clean, little cardio would not hurt either.
wrong......look up "recomp"

MindMuscle12

Banned
Awards
of course you can get/stay lean and put on muscle. eat CLEAN and eat like a beast. and you should definitely be doing cardio at least 3X a week. i go high intensity (usually stair climber) for 15 mins.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Right on bros!
he speaks the truth, even though it will be slower and you'll need to mess with your calorie intake for cardio day, it's better in the long run both for your cardiac health and to stay lean.
of course you can get/stay lean and put on muscle. eat CLEAN and eat like a beast. and you should definitely be doing cardio at least 3X a week. i go high intensity (usually stair climber) for 15 mins.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Right on bros!
And a sweet way to do this is training for size , good fasted cardio , or HIIT (wouldnt recommend fasted) with a solid nutrition plan focused on recomp like LeanGains!!

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
And a sweet way to do this is training for size , good fasted cardio , or HIIT (wouldnt recommend fasted) with a solid nutrition plan focused on recomp like LeanGains!!
Yes, But for sure if u a beginner u should just go for training and all, trying to eat clean and making progress...

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Strongly disagree, using Taurus Nutritions products I was able to lose 2-3lbs a week and gain 3/4" to my arms... Just saying muscle will come slowly regardless of if youre bulking or cutting, it's just mentally satisfying to see a 4lb weight gain each week while bulking and assume even 1/4 of it is muscle let alone 3/4 like the average person would assume.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
building "lean" muscle only IS possible but takes time.... a long time. Most people who are posting about this are looking for a 10 lbs of muscle increase and a 1 month commitment.....try 6 to 8 months for your 5 to 8 lbs of muscle (naturally).....not naturally, theres your one month commitment.

burlyman

burlyman

Awards
The OP is young enough that he has high levels of test and gh levels right now, so yes, feasibly he can put on muscle and stay very lean. From the age of 14-19 I put on 60 lbs naturally while working out hard and eating very clean and I still had abs. Today (now in my 40s) I could not do that without anabolics.

Ripley

Awards
definitely agree- do very clean eating.. and keep doing the cardio 3x wk - your body will eat it up

Trank406

Trank406

Banned
Awards
Yeah if anything run or jog 10-15 minutes after your work outs or go on the bike! I love the bike! But no longer than 15 minutes! Shoot even for me if I'm bulking I would do 10 minutes tops after my work out routines or 5 minutes to warm me up!

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
This can also go to some violation of rules if I post what I want to post as a reply here... it'll consist of the use of "Drugs" and all which I am not allowed to talk about..

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
In one sentence: cardio while bulking is a great way to add muscle and keeping the BF at bay/constant. Period.

JackSteel

JackSteel

Awards
Forget the cardio! As a fellow hard gainer I tried to bulk for years while doing even small easy bits of cardio and I couldn't put on weight to save my life. Trust me it's going to end up being more calories than you think. Plus adding muscle will keep you lean. It's the best way to burn fat IMO. If you're lifting hard your fat isn't going to be stored with your body type, it'll probably just be sucked into your muscles. Guys like us fortunately don't need to stress ourselves over such things :) good luck in reaching your goals!

Swordfish II

Awards
Leangains/ IF for staying lean and gaining muscle

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Forget the cardio! As a fellow hard gainer I tried to bulk for years while doing even small easy bits of cardio and I couldn't put on weight to save my life. Trust me it's going to end up being more calories than you think. Plus adding muscle will keep you lean. It's the best way to burn fat IMO. If you're lifting hard your fat isn't going to be stored with your body type, it'll probably just be sucked into your muscles. Guys like us fortunately don't need to stress ourselves over such things :) good luck in reaching your goals!
Well if he is naturally skinny/with low bodyfat he don't need much of cardio....

JackSteel

JackSteel

Awards
Exactly. A high metabolism is like exercising when you aren't doing anything. That's why it's hard for us to gain muscle. I recently predicted that higher thyroid output would help in bulking, but then realized it would only work against me. Yes AAS or other anti-catabolic things will help slow degradation of muscle, but it's still more beneficial to just let your metabolism do the cutting ( for the record, that's IF you had a high metabolism).

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
Some people have a really high level of metabolism that they don't even need to cardio...

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Some people have a really high level of metabolism that they don't even need to cardio...
I'll rephrase this for you, I think you ment. "Some people have a really high level of metabolism that they don't even need to cardio for fat loss" Cardio is great for heart health and indurance which will help with weights as well, just not directly.

JackSteel

JackSteel

Awards
Yes you're correct. In a definition "hard-gainer" type metabolism, wheaton adding lbs of muscle as your first priority, IMO doing significantly physically exerting amounts of cardio is a counter productive strategy unless you just can't stand to lose your endurance or something. But yes that last statement is accurate as a general statement.

JackSteel

JackSteel

Awards
I LOVE CARDIO!!! Don't get me wrong. I love it maybe more than lifting ( but lifting makes you look better ;))). I just couldn't keep up with my metabolism, and it kept me from gaining for a good while. I've slowly cut down on it gradually and my gains have Gons up relative to my decrease in activity. That's my experience anyway... Just sayin'

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
I'll rephrase this for you, I think you ment. "Some people have a really high level of metabolism that they don't even need to cardio for fat loss" Cardio is great for heart health and indurance which will help with weights as well, just not directly.
lol yeah sure i meant that... We are talking about fat loss so i was also talking about fat loss.

JackSteel

JackSteel

Awards
The original question was concerning a bulking cycle.... Is it good to do cardio during a bulk for a guy with high metabolism... Was the question :/

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
and the question was answered before...

It wasn't about heart health too... anyways...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
zach195 Bulking 26
Training Forum 23
SR83 Training Forum 7
Training Forum 6