why do you need carbs for bulking?

willc86

Awards
Ok, I know you need more protein to grow when bulking as well. They say about 2g a body weight for bulking and bigger muscles. But why do you need a ton load of carbs?

I mean, I am bulking and do eat a lot of complaex carbs, but I do not know the science behind it. You can not just grow by just consuming 200g of carbs and lets say 400g of protein?

6C The Second

Awards
I have heard of people bulking on a ketogenic diet.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
everyone needs to stop with the "i heard", i wouldnt bulk on keto for one and you dont have to have carbs to build muscle and frankly 2g of pro per pound body weight is overkill for bulking imo....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
All u need is an influx in calories.
I do enjoy carbs though.

aceroni

Awards
Eating carbs causes an insulin spike. Which is benefical to your muscles, allowing them to 1-store glycogen as fuel for a later training session.. Insulin also works to shuttle aminos and nutrients into your muscles.

Bulking w/out carbs is like driving to the store in your car w/out gasoline. You won't get very far.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eating carbs causes an insulin spike. Which is benefical to your muscles, allowing them to 1-store glycogen as fuel for a later training session.. Insulin also works to shuttle aminos and nutrients into your muscles.
Beneficial but not required.You hardly deplete as much as you think. Your body will natural restore the little glycogen depleted with a low/moderate to low carbohydrate intake. Unless you are a competitive endurance athlete you have no need for excessive loads of carbohydrates or glycogen.

Bulking w/out carbs is like driving to the store in your car w/out gasoline. You won't get very far.
There are alternative fuel sources.

aceroni

Awards
You are right my friend, but glucose is the body's preferred source for storing glycogen.
And, To be quite honest. Your body has about enough glycogen to supply <~30minutes of exercise.. Dont quote me on the exact number I just read it in my biochemistry book i just cant remember the EXACT number...

rabz

rabz

Awards
If nothing else, think about this. They average person's body requires 130 grams of carbohydate regarless of fast or slow digesting, to keep from digging into your protein intake for energy. Basically to make sure your bodies protein is being used for tissue rebuilding AKA muscle growth, you need to be getting as close to 130grams carbs per day as possible.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I run 8 to 10 miles 4-5 days a week, building muscle without the use of carbs would be detrimental for me. You? Perhaps not so much. You definitely do not need 250g of carbs, are you around 240lbs?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Bad sentence structure, my apologies but Motorola android devices no longer key well on these sites, not the older ones.