Can I gain muscle while doing Cardio?

Chrisnova92

Chrisnova92

Awards
So hi all, ATM I'm running 5-6kms a day, 5 times a week. I am also hitting the gym 4-5 times a week. I am looking to put on size while remaining some low body fat %. I understand proper technique (low reps, high sets) for putting on size. But definetly wondering if this cardio will stop my gains.
Thanks all!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It will slower them and require more calories, but cardio itself will not stop you from gaining muscle. IMO, your recovery will be better because your physical conditioning is very high.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
It will slower them and require more calories, but cardio itself will not stop you from gaining muscle. IMO, your recovery will be better because your physical conditioning is very high.
this.....you'll have to compensate with a surplus of cals

Chrisnova92

Chrisnova92

Awards
Thanks! Also I'm on whey isolate for post and casein for night time goodness, good combo?

Chrisnova92

Chrisnova92

Awards
So I'm 68 kgs and 6'3'' what kind of calories are we talking here ? And will
I still be able to keep down the body fat (formerly fat and petrified of going back!)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Thanks! Also I'm on whey isolate for post and casein for night time goodness, good combo?
its just protein so dont put too much thought into it.....casein before bed is over rated imo..

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
go to fitnessfrog dot com and use the calculators

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I'm 68 kgs and 6'3'' what kind of calories are we talking here ? And will
I still be able to keep down the body fat (formerly fat and petrified of going back!)
You're extremely light and actually underweight. As far as actual calories go, it's really hard to say, but start at 3000/day and slowly increase by 200-300 per week.

Chrisnova92

Chrisnova92

Awards
Thats a tall order friend but I'll give it a go. 5 meals a day sound good?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Awesome information here from very reputable people.

Remember...
gaining weight : calories in > calories used

Losing weight : calories in < calories burned.

Like already stated you will have to compensate for calories used running. I run all year round as my goals lean to athleticism, strength, and agility. It has only helped my progress doing cardio all year round, but really hits the grocery bill hard.

zubda345

zubda345

Awards
  • Established
I think doing THAT much cardio will surely damnage your muscle gain if you are not eatting enough... If you want to add muscles and can't leave your cardio... Than add some more healthy foods to your diet.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're extremely light and actually underweight. As far as actual calories go, it's really hard to say, but start at 3000/day and slowly increase by 200-300 per week.
I couldn't reach 68kg/150 lbs at my height without an amputation I think.

But that sounds good as far as calories go, and keep in mind that if you don't want to add much fat, an expectation of a pound gained every 2-4 weeks is probably best. When you get to a pound a week, definitely some is fat if you are past the newbie period.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
no, you cant gain wieght on this routine naturally....your output and metabolic rate is too high, it wouldnt matter how many calories you ate- you could eat 10,000 calories a day and your body would just dump it all, youd be going the bathroom all day....you have to slow down if you wantt to gain wieght-period

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
no, you cant gain wieght on this routine naturally....your output and metabolic rate is too high, it wouldnt matter how many calories you ate- you could eat 10,000 calories a day and your body would just dump it all, youd be going the bathroom all day....you have to slow down if you wantt to gain wieght-period
I don't agree.
I train with rugby players all the time who have high muscle mass who train with similar routine as Chrisnova92. Yes, cutting down on EITHER will result in weight gain as you are decreasing the amount of work your body is undergoing without increasing calorie intake however that is not the point. You can gain muscle by following your routine, just be more mindful of your nutrition and calorie intake. 10,000kcals per day is hugely excessive unless you are training VERY intensely and over long durations. I'd be more inclined to follow Rogjas advice, you are underweight, and therefore need to up your calorie intake if you wish to add size. Also high reps low sets isnt necessarily whats needed to gain size. Its more to do with volume however that is an entirely different matter.

Id recommended using a program such as foodworks 2009 and inputting all your stats (incldn exercise intensity) and working out an estimate of your calorie expenditure, then eating in excess of this. Or, weigh yourself once a week and if your losing weight, try upping your calories until you meet your requirements then eat in excess.

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
I don't agree.
I train with rugby players all the time who have high muscle mass who train with similar routine as Chrisnova92. Yes, cutting down on EITHER will result in weight gain as you are decreasing the amount of work your body is undergoing without increasing calorie intake however that is not the point. You can gain muscle by following your routine, just be more mindful of your nutrition and calorie intake. 10,000kcals per day is hugely excessive unless you are training VERY intensely and over long durations. I'd be more inclined to follow Rogjas advice, you are underweight (im 5'11" and weigh 85kg), and therefore need to up your calorie intake if you wish to add size. Also high reps low sets isnt necessarily whats needed to gain size. Its more to do with volume however that is an entirely different matter.

Id recommended using a program such as foodworks 2009 and inputting all your stats (incldn exercise intensity) and working out an estimate of your calorie expenditure, then eating in excess of this. Or, weigh yourself once a week and if your losing weight, try upping your calories until you meet your requirements then eat in excess.
Reps when i'm not on my phone, this is excellent advice. I'm 6' 81kg, and believe me it is all about caloric intake. I can cut out cardio, do nothing else different, but if the caloric excess isn't there, i'm back down to 174-175 in two days or so. Beat advice I have had on these forums isn't what supp to take or the best PH, its how to track and plan macros, and to eat! And yeah, keep doing cardio. Body in motion tends to stay in motion, follow any of rickrock's logs, the guy is cut and stays cut, and does crazy cardio- lean bulking is possible, if slower

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
It's all about the amount of calories you put in....

Just ask yourself this: if you can't gain muscle while doing cardio, explain football players.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
You can, I will be doing cardio now & believe you me Im not going to let me stop gaining muscle.
Good answers in here.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I run most nights (2 dogs sleep all day while I work, no run = wild dogs all night) I play rugby and can not imagine how difficult it would be without decent endurance.

Dump calories post work out, and make sure to end every day in a surplus (Maintenance + calories burned + 500cals)

The super human radio episode about CNS talked about how low intensity (distance not sprints) running had little impact on CNS. Besides energy usage (calories) it should really only have a positive effect on training IMO. Granted this all is assuming you DO stay in a calorie surplus.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Try doing HIIT for cardio. Take a look at the winner of the 2011 NYC Marathon (long distance running), Geoffrey Mutai. Light on his feet and skinny. Now take a look at the fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt. Lean muscles and strong

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try doing HIIT for cardio. Take a look at the winner of the 2011 NYC Marathon (long distance running), Geoffrey Mutai. Light on his feet and skinny. Now take a look at the fastest sprinter in the world, Usain Bolt. Lean muscles and strong
Terrible example.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Kind of a stretch comparing LISS cardio a few times per week to training for a marathon

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat doughnuts during LISS so I can gain weight. Am I doing it wrong?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just do some moderate and some HIIT, mix both in, can't go wrong with it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A marathon runner and sprinter rely on completely different energy systems and therefore their training reflects this. Apples and Oranges. HIIT is perfect for blasting fat and increasing BMR, however if calorie intake is not sufficient, this may hinder muscle growth. I would not say don't do it, but just make sure your getting the calories in.

Going for a run beforehand is a good idea, and the short duration of 10minutes moderate is ideal imo. throw in some movements that get the blood flowing to the parts of the body you are targeting in your weight training just to get them warm.