Can you still grow on 5hrs of sleep per night?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure you can, but how detrimental do you think it would be to gains?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
obviously more sleep the better but i dont think there is a breakdown per hour/gains

jbonez

jbonez

Banned
Awards
I would say 5 hours of sleep a night is extremely bad for gains. There is obviously no breakdown, but they recommend AT LEAST 8 hours if bulking. Getting 5 hours would "seriously halt" a lot of gains, whichever way you take that.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Getting ample sleep is very important for gains mainly for the recovery aspect. The more intense and duration of training, the more rest you may need. You can still make decent gains on less sleep however. Trust me I do it daily...I am lucky if I get to bed by 10:30-11PM (I have a 9 month old) and I am up at 4:30 to hit the gym. I've actually made the best gains of my life since his birth ironically. If your training and diet are spot on, sleep becomes less of an issue even though its still important IMO

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
some good information in here.....i don't know what kind of measurable difference there will be, but ample sleep also helps with stress levels, helps with alertness, and reduces depression

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd agree with one addition though.....

What's "ample" for one, may not be for another.

I've been getting 5 hours of sleep as long as I can remember.

Just the way Im wired. I adapted to this many moons ago and feel fine and also feel my gains are not hampered.

I also dont have a physically demanding job so I would imagine I dont need as much rest as a construction worker who works out.

By the way: Can anyone really know IF their gains are in fact hampered or better yet, if they gained MORE b/c they slept more? hmmmmm Think about it :)

Moral of the story is listen to your body. You DO need rest but how much is for YOU to figure out and unique to YOU

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Just the way Im wired. I adapted to this many moons ago and feel fine and also feel my gains are not hampered.

I also dont have a physically demanding job so I would imagine I dont need as much rest as a construction worker who works out.

By the way: Can anyone really know IF their gains are in fact hampered or better yet, if they gained MORE b/c they slept more? hmmmmm Think about it :)

Moral of the story is listen to your body. You DO need rest but how much is for YOU to figure out and unique to YOU

:goodpost: well said brother...ALWAYS listen to YOUR body and do what it tells you ;)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe ronnie only slept on avg 6 hrs of sleep during his olympia run. Just saying everyone is different.

Thing2594

Awards
Lol I gained 30 lbs of lean mass in under 4 months sleeping 3-4 hours on average. But then again... I'm 18 so I guess that has something to do with it lol.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
Good read! I was just thinking about it since I sleep about 3-5.

Srt4Muscle

Srt4Muscle

Awards
good topic, wonder if there is a break down of what the recovery differences is in different types of sleep. not all sleep is created equal, i would agree you can listen to your body though. I also suffer from insomnia...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Well said, dude. I can't speak towards rest making a difference except in terms of how absolutely terrible DOMS is when I don't get sufficient sleep. But my programming is always solid such that it shouldn't make a huge difference in training, and if the DOMS is there it's enough to eliminate with some foam rolling.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
how deep the sleep i've read is pretty close to just as important..

when you get back from the gym, to speed recovery i would recommend taking a nap if possible.. lay down relax and shut the body down for a good 20-30 minutes..

try it just a few times and see for yourself.. if you don't fall asleep completely it's all good.. lay there in silence and focus on relaxing the muscles.. like meditating...if you're killin it in the gym you will notice the difference...

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

nice post, for me i feel i need atleast 6 hours or i don't feel right.....i also find it interesting, since i started working at a less physical job i feel sleep has become more important, sitting at a desk is boring and i feel being tired while do it is just an awful experience