Am i really 24% bf?!?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got one of them fancy bf scales but it says I'm 24% bf that's like bad....I am 5'9 190lb right now...guess I'll try the caliper approach next time if this is off....I put this in the bulking section bc I'm currently in my 6th week of bulking and went from 180 to 190 so far

image-2804644439.png

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Water retention can cause all sortsa crazy readings with the bioimpedance scales, as can how much piss you have in your bladder etc.

ManBeast

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I dont think your at 24%, if I had to guess id say your somewhere between 16-20%. Probably closer to the lower end, but thats a rough guess, its hard to tell from a pic

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not 24 at all. I'd get a skin fold, your scale is not accurate.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Water retention can cause all sortsa crazy readings with the bioimpedance scales, as can how much piss you have in your bladder etc.

ManBeast
Guess I'll get some calipers then I wanna figure out what weight I'd need to be to see my abs for when I start my cut in April

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
You are over-analyzing it, and the bf% at which your abs will show will differ from individual to individual... its a range for a reason...

ManBeast

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
those scales/grippers are crap... never follow those for BF readings... get calipers done by someone else who knows what they are doing... a better bet, bodpod.

alamo333

Awards
I've had results all over the place with the scales. I agree with ^, get calipers done.

BigRigg

BigRigg

Awards
those scales/grippers are crap... never follow those for BF readings... get calipers done by someone else who knows what they are doing... a better bet, bodpod.
Bod pod? That like a get swole sleeping chamber?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My scale says I am 30% and my legs look like a road map of Kentucky..lol

Go to the website and type in your zip. I'd it expensive?
They are 25-100+ depending on your area.. Try and find local colleges with sports teams.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
The other high end BF testing is similar... hydrostatic tanks... Most of the time also at universities but theres one that comes in a mobile truck through my area and parks in from of my gym for a couple days every 6 months or so...

Def the way to go if you want your dead accurate bf reading. The mobile hydro thats comes through here is 49 bucks... I cant see a bod pod being much more then that, if anything maybe cheaper cause it doesnt come to you(not paying the extra fee of it being mobile and takes fuel to transport)...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The other high end BF testing is similar... hydrostatic tanks... Most of the time also at universities but theres one that comes in a mobile truck through my area and parks in from of my gym for a couple days every 6 months or so...

Def the way to go if you want your dead accurate bf reading. The mobile hydro thats comes through here is 49 bucks... I cant see a bod pod being much more then that, if anything maybe cheaper cause it doesnt come to you(not paying the extra fee of it being mobile and takes fuel to transport)...
It really depends on the area. I have clients out east who have paid over $100 for a bod pod. I have paid $50 locally(privately owned), and $25 locally(at a university). I also have a few people in the mid west where 50-75 seems to be the avg. You just gotta look around. Sometimes these places have specials as well.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I get to use a bod pod for free because of where I work :) winning. lol

tobejb

Awards
Is it really worth paying thAt much! your clearly already paying gym fees , supliments and food just cut and train and hard untill your happy mate

Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg

Awards
Definitely get a cheap caliper and do the measurements, if you have a buddy to measure the parts you can't reach yourself I recommend the Jackson/Pollock 7 site measurement method. You may find, as I did when I first got my caliper, it is easy to be consistent, but it is also easy to get a wide range of values from a specific area. I would pay to get tested bodbod/hydrostatic once, and then use your calipers on the same day to do your measurements, in this way you will be able to "calibrate" yourself on taking the caliper measurements, so you know you are doing it right. If you can do it again the next day and get the same measurements, you should be getting pretty accurate numbers each time you measure with the calipers in the future!

by the way, you and I are around the same size, (well, youre a little taller...), If you get the caliper I would be interested to know some of your measurements / lean body mass calculation. don't get me wrong, i'm not look for a "I'm bigger than you" contest here, its just interesting when you find someone with a similar body type as you to compare against... anywho, just a thought

grngoloco

grngoloco

Awards
My scale is always 6% above the caliper test,, checked and double, triple checked by getting on the scale then heading straight to the gym and getting calipered,,, so now it's simple subtraction of six for me :)

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I'd guess you were in the 18-20% range

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
I'd guess you were in the 18-20% range
I agree with this, but also we can't see your back or legs so it's virtually impossible to tell. You could be android body type and hold fat more on your abdominal area or a gynoid (pear shaped). Just a stomach shot would be a "guess" at best. You can also be a combination of both and hold fat evenly throughout your body which would drive the number much higher. If your really concerned; BOD POD it, I don't trust those BF scales either man too much room for error, they can be as much as 10% off

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're like 16 dude, at most 18. I would verify with 2 other tests (since obviously the scale you use is totally off).

Also lol @ legs looking like a road map of kentucky.

EDIT: I'm a total retard. I forgot about the pear phenomenon (where you hold all your fat on your lower body). But we can't tell from the pic if that's the case. Anyways, you're still not going to be 24% lol.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
You're like 16 dude, at most 18. I would verify with 2 other tests (since obviously the scale you use is totally off).

Also lol @ legs looking like a road map of kentucky.

EDIT: I'm a total retard. I forgot about the pear phenomenon (where you hold all your fat on your lower body). But we can't tell from the pic if that's the case. Anyways, you're still not going to be 24% lol.
No way to justify this at all. 16% would be lucky IMHO, if his legs were seperated slightly and had low back fat