Eating before sleep

Mmyamahar6

Awards
I work at night so when I get home I eat before I go to sleep I know this puts weight on I dont mind this but I'm wondering will this hinder any growth hormones my body produces when I sleep I read this on another forum but there wasnt enough info to fulfill my question

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work at night so when I get home I eat before I go to sleep I know this puts weight on I dont mind this but I'm wondering will this hinder any growth hormones my body produces when I sleep I read this on another forum but there wasnt enough info to fulfill my question
no, it doesn't put weight on, thats just a fairy tale. It does though lower a little that first GH pulse that comes around 90 minutes after you fall asleep, and can lower overall sleep quality

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no, it doesn't put weight on, thats just a fairy tale. It does though lower a little that first GH pulse that comes around 90 minutes after you fall asleep, and can lower overall sleep quality
I used to eat within 30 minutes of bed. Now I eat then go to bed two hours later. Sleep quality has improved and I am finding it easier to stay leaner, but there are other variables that may contribute more to the latter.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I cant ever go to sleep with out food.
but dont over eat, make it more of a snack. like some peanutbutter on a banana or a protein drink.
if i dont reat i cant sleep.
i rather have somthing in my belly than fast for 8 hrs with nothing

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i usually have a protein drink 20min before bed and have one going in the fridge that a take a chug or 2 out of if i ge tup to piss.
works well for me.

Mmyamahar6

Awards
thats interesting I always thought it did put on weight. How much time should I put in between my last meal and sleep time to avoid dropped gh levels

jbonez

jbonez

Banned
Awards
It doesn't put weight on? Phew, let me go run and eat a cup of white rice and some bread before I pass out.

If you are trying to lose weight, try high protein and complex fruit carbs, i.e. casein shake with a banana.
When you wake up, your insulin levels will be grossly low and you have 45 minutes to workout before needing to eat in order to burn fat and not lose muscle.

If you are trying to gain weight, try something high in protein and good fats, i.e. a cup of nuts and casein shake
Those healthy fats will digest (along with milk or casein) for up to 8 hours, making sure your body doesn't resort to breaking down any muscle.

I wouldn't worry about your GH's from eating late.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats interesting I always thought it did put on weight. How much time should I put in between my last meal and sleep time to avoid dropped gh levels
90 minutes is good enough

Deca17

Awards
People will say that there is really no conclusive scientific evidence to show that eating before bed will cause any negatives.

If l were going by my personal anecdotal evidence however, the nights where I eat 2-3 hours before bedtime, my sleep is much more prolonged and relaxing. I try to take ZMA before bed too, which should be taken on an empty stomach and which also increases the quality of sleep.

As far as effects on GH... well the science shows us that the ingestion of carbs hinders GH production. So take that as you will.

Mmyamahar6

Awards
I stopped eating 90min before sleep I have already noticed my sleep quality has improved thanks for the info

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
I usually eat a snack 30-60 minutes before bed depending on the night. I've never noticed any difference in sleep. Some nights when I'm pressed for time, I'll go to bed half hour after eating a serving of greek yogurt and natty pb and I've never noticed any difference from the nights I have more time to eat before bed. Only time I notice a difference is when I have a shake then go to bed and wake up to piss at like 1 am lol

Then again, everyone's different though.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
man i gotta go to bed on a full stomach or i cant sleep at all.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Tonight I had few slices of chicken breast with a p nut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat bread.... So I dont know, seems like bak in the day when I ate a few hours before bed I lost weight but that I can't really recall in detail that far back.

Mmyamahar6

Awards
I've noticed that when I eat alot right before sleeping when I wake up I'm starving

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Ive been eating about 1/2 cup to 1 cup cottage cheese and maybe a couple slices of turkey breast before bed.
From my understanding the protein in cottage cheese breaks down slower, basically feeding your muscles while you sleep.
Please correct me if im wrong.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Ive been eating about 1/2 cup to 1 cup cottage cheese and maybe a couple slices of turkey breast before bed.
From my understanding the protein in cottage cheese breaks down slower, basically feeding your muscles while you sleep.
Please correct me if im wrong.
Correct sir its casein I use to do that every night fookin love cottage cheese lol