why am i so light?

superfresh222

Awards
I weight 120-125 pounds, im 5'8, age 22. I have a very fast metabolism!I have been lifting weights for 3-4 years now on and off with martial arts training. I am not skinny, would consider myself to have good muscle tone and strong (can bench body weight etc) and most people would guess my weight is 150 pounds or more. I think its really strange that everyone in my weight class is 5'3-5'5. does anyone know what could account for the low weight despite not looking skinny as hell? I have a good understanding of health science and sports science but i have never met anyone like me or read anything like this, could anyone shed some light on it?thanks

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I weight 120-125 pounds, im 5'8, age 22. I have a very fast metabolism!I have been lifting weights for 3-4 years now on and off with martial arts training. I am not skinny, would consider myself to have good muscle tone and strong (can bench body weight etc) and most people would guess my weight is 150 pounds or more. I think its really strange that everyone in my weight class is 5'3-5'5. does anyone know what could account for the low weight despite not looking skinny as hell? I have a good understanding of health science and sports science but i have never met anyone like me or read anything like this, could anyone shed some light on it?thanks
Is this real??..

You have a good understanding of sport science n u don't kno why your 120...

Cuz you don't diet. . Prob don't kno how to train either. Not busting your chops but you need to do some research. All the info you need is out there..

BTW I used to be 120-130 till after I graduated n finally decided to do something bout it.

I used to "train" 3-4 years too.. you kno bench curl bench curl repeat..lol

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
120 at 5'8" is very skinny. im the same height, maybe 1/2 inch taller and im about 185 and i dont consider myself thick yet. i will when i hit 205. you NEED TO EAT MORE PROTEIN AND CARBS. not hard logic to understand.

and at 5'3", the average weight should be your weight. take a pic of yourself and post on here

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
genetics mostly.were you a preemie by chance?

as far as gaining weight use Google and use a calorie calculator it will be able to tell you how many calories your need to put on weight
also your want to use compound movements.bulking up type training.squats,deadlift those types of things .I would say start making sure your getting at least 3,000 to 3,500 calories a day you should be able to put on 10lbs easy the first few months.

superfresh222

Awards
I increased calories to 3,500 spread over 6 meals eating every 2-3 hours with roughly 25-35 grams of protein per meal for 3 months during my summer holidays with 4 days training each week, gained about 4 pounds is all. the weight will quickly return to starting weight if i miss a day or two of dieting so i think the main gain is mostly due to fibre. i have read about metabolisms that increase to meet caloric intake dispute energy output and think i might be one of those people. as far as i can remember i weighted 8 stone (112 pounds) when i was 13, this didnt change till i was 18 and started lifting weights and gained about 8 pounds. have been lifting sense then, gotten bigger but havn't gained weight. I dont have a problem with my weight as long as im putting on muscle, i just wonder where im missing weight if im properly hydrated and dont have any bone density issues and dont look mad skinny. I will get around to posting a pic in next few days.

superfresh222

Awards
genetics mostly.were you a preemie by chance?

as far as gaining weight use Google and use a calorie calculator it will be able to tell you how many calories your need to put on weight
also your want to use compound movements.bulking up type training.squats,deadlift those types of things .I would say start making sure your getting at least 3,000 to 3,500 calories a day you should be able to put on 10lbs easy the first few months.
actually i was 10 days overdue and underweight (under 6 pounds)

Kenhet

Awards
120 at 5'8" is very skinny. im the same height, maybe 1/2 inch taller and im about 185 and i dont consider myself thick yet. i will when i hit 205. you NEED TO EAT MORE PROTEIN AND CARBS. not hard logic to understand.

and at 5'3", the average weight should be your weight. take a pic of yourself and post on here
I agree with this, a simple and correct answer.
I have been working out for years without gaining, and i thought i was getting lots of carbs and protein.
Turns out my metabolism is so fast i had to almost double my daily intake to gain anything at all.
Now i normaly get in about 6-8.000 calories per day, even with this amount of calories i gain slow, but my weight is increasing.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I increased calories to 3,500 spread over 6 meals eating every 2-3 hours with roughly 25-35 grams of protein per meal for 3 months during my summer holidays with 4 days training each week, gained about 4 pounds is all. the weight will quickly return to starting weight if i miss a day or two of dieting so i think the main gain is mostly due to fibre. i have read about metabolisms that increase to meet caloric intake dispute energy output and think i might be one of those people. as far as i can remember i weighted 8 stone (112 pounds) when i was 13, this didnt change till i was 18 and started lifting weights and gained about 8 pounds. have been lifting sense then, gotten bigger but havn't gained weight. I dont have a problem with my weight as long as im putting on muscle, i just wonder where im missing weight if im properly hydrated and dont have any bone density issues and dont look mad skinny. I will get around to posting a pic in next few days.
im the same way. if i dont eat/train, i shrivel up and lose weight very fast. eat 4k cals and i promise you that you will put on weight.

when i was a freshman in highschool, i was 5'2" 85 pounds, no joke.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I agree with this, a simple and correct answer.
I have been working out for years without gaining, and i thought i was getting lots of carbs and protein.
Turns out my metabolism is so fast i had to almost double my daily intake to gain anything at all.
Now i normaly get in about 6-8.000 calories per day, even with this amount of calories i gain slow, but my weight is increasing.
Bro I'm not trying to call you out but I find it hard to believe you're eating that many calories thats insane amount...how much do u weigh btw?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need to eat 3500 cals to maintain my weight 210-215. I can eat around 500-1000 cals more and my body will just adjust and burn even more. (Now anyway that I am bulking). I find that the only way to really gain weight when you want to is to just keep eating more. I cook every night (5 chicken breasts, 2 pork chops, 2 cups of white rice, 1 cup of brown rice) That's what I eat on days I don't train. I also mix one can of coconut milk mixed with blueberries and stir fry 3 onions and eat about 4 cups of spinach. On days I train I will usually add an extra 100g carbs in popcorn, 50g protein in a shake. On top of all this I take 3-5g luecine/BCAAs between every meal. This has got me pretty good. But I do have a slow metabolism....

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bro I'm not trying to call you out but I find it hard to believe you're eating that many calories thats insane amount...how much do u weigh btw?
yeah i agree.if you were really eating 8k cals/day, you would be gaining around 3 pounds/week.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
cut back your training to 3 days a week give your body at least 24 to 48 hours to rest and recover between workouts.you should be spending about 45 mins maybe an hour at most in the gym using a quick bulk style type of training.NO running or treadmill needed your body burns food like a sports car already.you gotta hit your calories needs everyday. I doubt your eating those many calories if you were you would have put on more than 4lbs.eating that much you should be putting on at the least 1 or 1.5 to 2lbs a week when your starting out eating that much.advoid caffeine and items that will raise your metabolism. also start researching ectomorphs this will tell you alot about what you are and why you have a hell of a time gaining weight.

Kenhet

Awards
My weight is 187, and i am getting those amounts everyday, not all in food ofc.
I push down two or three 2.000 cal shakes each day, all with: Grain, bananas, milk, eggs, oil (fishoil, seedoil, oliveoil, etc) and in that i also ofc put the weightgainpowder.

Other than that i make sure to eat as often as possible, i try around 7 times per day, and ofc mostly food with alot of calories and proteins.
But i also eat fruit on the side to get some inbetween meals as well.

To get to the weight i currently am, i had to get in a minimum of 4-4500 cal per day, then i stopped gaining, so i had to increase again, now to around 6-7000, my metabolism is extremly high.

I was sick a while ago and they gave me some pills along with the chemotherapy to make me eat more, i gained 11kg in 2 months, after i was done at the hospital, just after a short time i was back at my original weight, all the fat had been burned away without me doing anything special.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yeah i agree.if you were really eating 8k cals/day, you would be gaining around 3 pounds/week.
Nah it is possible for some people to do. I have done all out bulks like that before. Last time I was doing alot of boxing and still trying to add mass during the winter. I went from about 225lbs to 240lbs. In about 3 months. Somewhat softer but still visible abs. I have been as high as 262 but that was 10 years ago and lots and lots of assistance. ha Plus I think that one Olympic swimmer said he eats 10,000 k a day when training hard.

Kenhet

Awards
Nah it is possible for some people to do. I have done all out bulks like that before. Last time I was doing alot of boxing and still trying to add mass during the winter. I went from about 225lbs to 240lbs. In about 3 months. Somewhat softer but still visible abs. I have been as high as 262 but that was 10 years ago and lots and lots of assistance. ha Plus I think that one Olympic swimmer said he eats 10,000 k a day when training hard.
True.
For example the Norwegian skipro Petter Northug eats 7-8000 calories when training hard.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
More food, a lot more food. And more heavy weight training, that's the jist of it.

Also, not just more food, more good food. Not more shakes with a crapload of calories. You need actual, solid, food. If you're not gaining, eat more. Sweet potatoes, red potatoes, whole grain rice, fatty ground beef, eggs, a lot of eggs, steaks, pork, chicken, honey, peanut butter, a lot of natty peanut butter... Start adding those macros.

Based on your weight and your issues gaining weight, I would say just shoot for the moon, try to get in 4, 5, 6k calories in a day and see how you respond; if you start gaining too much fat, then dial back a bit and slow it down a tad and see how it goes. But shoot for the God damn sky with calories if you're that high metabolism.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because cardio has been added to the mix. If you don't do cardio and eat 10k cals a day you should be able to blow up