Is it POSSIBLE I NEED 5k+ Cals?

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
Ok, currently, 200lbs, 8%ish BF, maybe a bit lower, I am trying to bulk, and even at 4500, I cant BUDGE the scale, according to all of those calculators ect. I SHOULD (In theory) bulk at more like 3700-4000 cals. This is DEF not true. All of the formulas say the same thing. Is it possible I need more cals then they are saying?

I lift 4x a week, walk 15 minutes after lifting. Eat 5-6 meals a day, at 800-100 cals a piece.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes

If your not gaining weight then eat more. Those calculators only really give you a ball park estimate. They can not say definitively how much you need.

Also it is important to note, the scale itself can be somewhat inaccurate. It is possible to gain muscle and the scale not move. At 8% bf I would relay more on your body composition (the mirror) rather than the scale.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are your macros at right now? If you can add fat, definitely start using extra virgin olive oil; each tablespoon has 120 cals. Add on to every meal and that's an extra 600 cals over 5 meals.

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
What are your macros at right now? If you can add fat, definitely start using extra virgin olive oil; each tablespoon has 120 cals. Add on to every meal and that's an extra 600 cals over 5 meals.
Macros slighly vari, I aimed for 40-40-20 but it was a bit much on the protein, I usually eat 300-400 grams protein, 400-500 carbs, the rest is fat.

Getting the cals isnt the issue, its the fact I am getting them, and the scale isnt moving! I mean, 5k cals seem WAY overkill ( I thought)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much are you training? How many lifting, cardio, and off days? What are you doing each day?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I get in 4k to maintain weight, and I always considered myself an endomorph of sorts prior to this year. And that's without cardio lol. We can rationalize all day about why you may need more calories than what the calculators say, but the point remains that you need more.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is also an extreme example, but Michael Phelps ate 12,000+ calories a day during the summer olympics.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Why is that overkill some athletes consume 8000 cals per day

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
I lift 4x a week, with 20 min of cardio at the end. Lift sessions are pretty intense I would say.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
very very doable if you use muscle juice or serious mass

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
very very doable if you use muscle juice or serious mass
Serious Mass!
1200+ Cals
250g carbs
50g protein!

Add I'm a banana or 2 some liquid egg whites and two heaping scoops of p butter that's str8 beast mode right there!

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
My bro is at 6000 I'm at 5000 I kno a Guy who did 7000.

What I have learned is variety in your diet is key. It keeps your taste buds guessing n you won't feel as full all day. I also recommend cheat meals n some simple carbs in mornings so you are hungry sooner..

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im a mechanic, i work alot... i don't have as much time to stop and eat 7 meals a day like i used to... but would it be bad to pick a good protein shake and use that as a solid 3 meals during work and such (much faster) then just eat normalmeals afterwards?
Better than nothing. If that's what you gotta do go for it.

JohnJJ

Awards
possible

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Your body at 8% BF is a fat burning machine you are throwing calories into a furnace. Keep eating. Heavy and often

wildcat90

Awards
Muscle Pharm Assault review

I'm not sure if you need 5k kcal, but I think you should experiment. I'm cutting now and I'm trying very extreme diets, each for 2 weeks JUST for knowledge. 2 weeks for the sake of knowledge is nothing compare to the long run benefits.

wildcat90

Awards
and perhaps you should tell us your results too!! :)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also wonder if you might have a gut health/absorption problem. Do you know what your total/free test levels look like?

randysavage

randysavage

Awards
  • Established
is something like serious mass or any "gainer" best for post workout only?

Ironman622

Ironman622

Awards
Dang man I have the same problem 5'6 getting back into working out after a year off I lost 25lbs When I weighed 155 I had to eat 4600 to maintain I was sitting about 6-7%. At 136lbs where I was before my bulk started a few days ago to maintain 136 I was at 3500 now as my Bulk I'm going for 4300 probably going to raise my BF% I'm just trying to get back to 150 in a few months but at 5"6 155lbs last year holy..hard as hell I consumed 1200calories for pb alone as my main source of fat and easy calories and the rest was clean. Luckily having fast a metabolism not saying everyone but I was able to get away with about 275-310g fats at 155 and stay in 6-7% bf range. What destroys a lot of people we have more of a tolerance to.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im having serious difficulty bulking, mainly bc too high cals n it's all fat w little muscle. I know I don't handle carbs well and also have a slow thyroid so I supplement thyroid boosters/fat burners n gdas as well as test boosters, ai's... The works. Training diet n supps r spot on.. But still I always just look average. U can see current n progress pics in my log in my sig... I am 5'7 160, can't bulk without gaining mostly fat. My levels are 468 total test, 73.5 free test, 33shgb this was taken two days following anabeta/erase/libido max for 8 weeks and two days into primal male.
I have history of anorexia where I didnt produce semen for about a year and shrunk 1.5 inches n lost 96 pounds (190 to 94)... Thoughts on how to bulk? Like is it even frigging possible?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
^ how in hell did u go from being fat @ 1 point to losing 94 pounds?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^ how in hell did u go from being fat @ 1 point to losing 94 pounds?
I was 5'8 190 out of shape like not working out besides high school football and eating all fast foods, deserts, junk, processed stuff etc.. Like a normal teenager diet but I was very inactive and obviously now I know I am insulin intolerant. So at 16 I was tired of it and started working out and eating less in search of a 6 pack... This turned Into an obsession of calculating every calorie burnt and ingested, skipping school to workout, working out 2-3 times a day for 2-3 hours. In and out of psych hospitals and medical hospitals for issues. It was living hell for 2 years, barely ate. Just horrible. Ended up in icu at 94 pounds with liver damage and kidney failure. Doctors were baffled how i was still alive. I'm still very obsessed with my appearance for whatever reason, but I won't let it kill me again. I could stand to loosen my grip though, a lot. Sorry to hijack the thread really just curious about what everyone thinks about the hormone levels (estrogen wasn't tested bc my FORMER endo is a fcking loser who didn't even want to test me at all)

randysavage

randysavage

Awards
  • Established
people talk **** about gainers all the time, try being 6'2+ and in marathon mode your whole life

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
id rather gain 1 pound of LBM every month than 4 pounds of fat with little LBM each month

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Im having serious difficulty bulking, mainly bc too high cals n it's all fat w little muscle. I know I don't handle carbs well and also have a slow thyroid so I supplement thyroid boosters/fat burners n gdas as well as test boosters, ai's... The works. Training diet n supps r spot on.. But still I always just look average. U can see current n progress pics in my log in my sig... I am 5'7 160, can't bulk without gaining mostly fat. My levels are 468 total test, 73.5 free test, 33shgb this was taken two days following anabeta/erase/libido max for 8 weeks and two days into primal male.
I have history of anorexia where I didnt produce semen for about a year and shrunk 1.5 inches n lost 96 pounds (190 to 94)... Thoughts on how to bulk? Like is it even frigging possible?
maybe try and get your E2 tested to see where you are. If you are high a low dose AI might help boost up your test.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
maybe try and get your E2 tested to see where you are. If you are high a low dose AI might help boost up your test.
Erase at 2 caps really leans me out n raises libido. 3 caps leans me even more, but kills libido

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
those calculators are wrong. says i need 3k to gain a pound a week. bull crap. i need 4 just to maintain

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Get one coffee drink at Dunkin Donuts and eat anything at McDs or Denny's and bingo, 5K calories. :)

andy148lbs

Awards
try myfittnespal for your smartphone. I typed in my weight,height, and goal (1/2 lb week) they have me at 2700 cals. i usually eat over that but its working im able to see how much more i need to eat and what(carbs,protein,fats, etc.) im putting on weight and can see the difference in the mirror.