Bulking is making me fat?

cainb96

Awards
I'm 33, 5'9 170 and been bulking for a few weeks now. I'm shooting for 3500 calories a day. I'm also taking Carbo Gain added in with my protein shakes. This past week I've noticed how much weight I've added to my belly. I've decided to throw in 15 minutes of cardio a day to help fight the bulge. Any suggestions or comments if growing in the belly is a good or bad thing?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
If your belly is growing faster than your muscles, you either need to add cardio or lower your intake.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
less cals on off days too, especially if you're not active on those days

PVL

Banned
Awards
If your belly is growing faster than your muscles, you either need to add cardio or lower your intake.
what he said........you cant skimp on cardio when bulking, im in the same boat as I put on bodyfat easy if I dont do atleast 30 min a day of walking. not all bodies are the same.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
what he said........you cant skimp on cardio when bulking, im in the same boat as I put on bodyfat easy if I dont do atleast 30 min a day of walking. not all bodies are the same.
Interesting would it be more benefit to just lower cal or keep them high n do cardio. I mean what's the logic in putting forth the efforts to eat the extra food wheb y plan on burning it on the tread beside the obvious health benefits. ?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting would it be more benefit to just lower cal or keep them high n do cardio. I mean what's the logic in putting forth the efforts to eat the extra food wheb y plan on burning it on the tread beside the obvious health benefits. ?
It certainly is a bumming catch 22...

U need the cals to build the muscle, whatever u don't use to build is turning to fat. So choose a good form of low intensity or HIIT cardio to kick those "fattening" extra cals to the curb.. For ppl like us who gain fAt easier than muscle, you kinda have to live with it OR expect SUPER slow gains.. Genetics smh

PVL

Banned
Awards
well dont do HIIT, thats for athletes........do low impact for 45-1hr........

you need slightly more protein and slightly less carbs to stay in a good glucose range, since that is what makes you lose the bodyfat......

focus on being active for 2 hours a day split into 2 preferably........1 hour weights and 1 hour cardio. the cardio is your choice on what you want...........personally I like walking and the bike.

if i were picky, I would say eat all natural food sources, nothing processed, but in todays economy, i cant ask that....just try your best

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same way. I read that it's good to do HIIT on a bulk, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it. Unfortunately I despise doing long cardio sessions, I'd rather do HIIT. Either way I've come to the realization lately that I need to add in some cardio.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Yea I used to do 7-10 min on the elliptical before every workout n that helped so much. Then a Trainer told me not to do cardio since I was having trouble getting the my weight up. Now I have way to much fat. :/

PVL

Banned
Awards
I'm the same way. I read that it's good to do HIIT on a bulk, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it. Unfortunately I despise doing long cardio sessions, I'd rather do HIIT. Either way I've come to the realization lately that I need to add in some cardio.
well to make you feel better, I dont like cardio either, but I HAVE TO DO IT!!! lol.......I mean finally seeing somewhat abs at 240 impressed me enough to keep doing it, lol!

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
I'm 33, 5'9 170 and been bulking for a few weeks now. I'm shooting for 3500 calories a day. I'm also taking Carbo Gain added in with my protein shakes. This past week I've noticed how much weight I've added to my belly. I've decided to throw in 15 minutes of cardio a day to help fight the bulge. Any suggestions or comments if growing in the belly is a good or bad thing?
did you GRADUALLY up your calories to 3500 in small increments? or did you add 500 or more at one time? your calories should go up slowly and down slowly. also, I don't think you should be using a carbo gain while only eating 3500 calories. i'm at 6000 calories with whole foods minus pre-workout, postworkout, and night time casein shakes. oatmeal is super calorie dense, that would probably work just as well as your carbo gain unless your talking post workout "assuming that these are simple carbs".

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
did you GRADUALLY up your calories to 3500 in small increments? or did you add 500 or more at one time? your calories should go up slowly and down slowly. also, I don't think you should be using a carbo gain while only eating 3500 calories. i'm at 6000 calories with whole foods minus pre-workout, postworkout, and night time casein shakes. oatmeal is super calorie dense, that would probably work just as well as your carbo gain unless your talking post workout "assuming that these are simple carbs".
Yea man just add oats to your shake don't waste your money on that manufactered crap.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aim for 10 mins of hiit warmup and 10-15 cooldown.. Throw in some incline walking after weights as well.. If u burn 2-300 cals on top of weights, should be able to
Add quality lean mass n minimal fat. Pre workout cardio is good to get the blood flowing. I bet you'll be able to
Go heavier w ur weights if u do it

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
well to make you feel better, I dont like cardio either, but I HAVE TO DO IT!!! lol.......I mean finally seeing somewhat abs at 240 impressed me enough to keep doing it, lol!
Oh man, I know what you mean, seeing those results makes you push harder! I did only HIIT during the last time I cut. I literally do zero cardio so I need to add at least some sort of cardio.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards
What you're eating, your macronutrient ratios, and your food timing are also quite important as well. Do you know what percentages you are getting from F, P, and C?

PVL

Banned
Awards
Oh man, I know what you mean, seeing those results makes you push harder! I did only HIIT during the last time I cut. I literally do zero cardio so I need to add at least some sort of cardio.
yeah.......30 min 2 times a day is pretty east to do, esp my lazy ass, lol! all i do is step out the door and walk to the park or store and walk back, then vice versa, make it enjoyable bro.

u got a gf? lol...........that works too bro, hahahahahaha! jk

PVL

Banned
Awards
What you're eating, your macronutrient ratios, and your food timing are also quite important as well. Do you know what percentages you are getting from F, P, and C?
come on dude, about 99% of the people on this board dont count macros, its pointless......

just focus on getting more protein than carbs in each meal and never have a carb only meal.............

like I said, eat real food and you will be good to go............

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
come on dude, about 99% of the people on this board dont count macros, its pointless......

just focus on getting more protein than carbs in each meal and never have a carb only meal.............

Agreed.

Did that and it took over my life.. Did it work? Sure, but i also don't want to be a slave to this anymore than I already am.. Just educate yourself on portions and what foods actual nutrition value is then go high protein low carb mod fat. Simple

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
some people get it and some dont.

HiiT sort of mimics the action of leptin in terms of turning on fat burning signals, nutrient partioning, increased blood flow, and increased hunger.

All of what you NEED on a bulk. Article to be posted after this post.

2 hours of training is OK but definetly not necessary. keep workouts at no more then 90 minutes (with cardio included, and you can probably make it go by in about an hour and 10 minutes)

I would run 3-4x a week, lift 3-4x a week, have 1-2 rest days, and one long duration low intensity cardio day.

on non lifting days, i would only eat at your maintence. and on lifting days id do +800

on a day where you do strictly running do +200

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
some people get it and some dont.

HiiT sort of mimics the action of leptin in terms of turning on fat burning signals, nutrient partioning, increased blood flow, and increased hunger.

All of what you NEED on a bulk. Article to be posted after this post.

2 hours of training is OK but definetly not necessary. keep workouts at no more then 90 minutes (with cardio included, and you can probably make it go by in about an hour and 10 minutes)

I would run 3-4x a week, lift 3-4x a week, have 1-2 rest days, and one long duration low intensity cardio day.

on non lifting days, i would only eat at your maintence. and on lifting days id do +800

on a day where you do strictly running do +200
Beautifully said ...

My best results ever came from 4 days of lifting (legs had it's own day with longduration cardio) the other3 days I did hiit. I worked out monday, wed, thurs (legs/long cardio) fri. It was perfect. Now I'm stuck on an overtraining nightmare which will thankfully be done come Jan 1.

burnstacp

burnstacp

Awards

That's ridiculous. Counting macros does work, and just because a lot of people don't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be discounted. Now if someone one isn't willing to put in the effort to do it in order to get the results they are looking for, then that is something totally different.

On a side note, you have to have a calorie surplus to gain. With that will inevitably come a little fat, and if your calories are too far over your maintenance and expenditure then more fat gain will be added to your lean gains. As someone else in this thread stated, drop your calories down a little if you don't feel like adding extra cardio to your regimen.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's ridiculous. Counting macros does work, and just because a lot of people don't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be discounted. Now if someone one isn't willing to put in the effort to do it in order to get the results they are looking for, then that is something totally different.

On a side note, you have to have a calorie surplus to gain. With that will inevitably come a little fat, and if your calories are too far over your maintenance and expenditure then more fat gain will be added to your lean gains. As someone else in this thread stated, drop your calories down a little if you don't feel like adding extra cardio to your regimen.
No ones saying it doesnt work. Of course it works.. It's just a whole nother level of obsession IMO. With good knowledge an experience u can know what ur getting without having to weigh sh!t out and keep logs and sh!t... I've been there and it sucks!

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
No ones saying it doesnt work. Of course it works.. It's just a whole nother level of obsession IMO. With good knowledge an experience u can know what ur getting without having to weigh sh!t out and keep logs and sh!t... I've been there and it sucks!
I'm with u bro tracking macros works no doubt but it takes over your life so much that it made me depressed and almost stop lifting. I love what I do now eat to grow and use the mirrors to judge. I took up lifting to make myself happy not depressed. To each his own though.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm with u bro tracking macros works no doubt but it takes over your life so much that it made me depressed and almost stop lifting. I love what I do now eat to grow and use the mirrors to judge. I took up lifting to make myself happy not depressed. To each his own though.

This is key. If u do it to keep urself from feeling bad, then ur doing it for the wrong reasons. It should be something u look forward to bc u want it. Not bc u feel like u "have to"

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
This is key. If u do it to keep urself from feeling bad, then ur doing it for the wrong reasons. It should be something u look forward to bc u want it. Not bc u feel like u "have to"
No u took that different then I meant it. When I was younger I was obese and got picked on and could never do anything right I love working out and taking my body 1 step further I love the feeling of accomplisment after a hard workout I love bodybuilding its my life not a "have to"

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No u took that different then I meant it. When I was younger I was obese and got picked on and could never do anything right I love working out and taking my body 1 step further I love the feeling of accomplisment after a hard workout I love bodybuilding its my life not a "have to"
Got it. My fault.. I was the same way man... Always the fattest kid in my class until half through high school, then I went anorexic and almost died. Now I know how to manipulate my body and can be as big or lean as I want with all proper training diet and supping! I love seeing those effers who uses to treat me like sh!t bc of my weight. Now they're 23 yr old beer bellied, impotents and I'm running the show! Lol I'm not an a hole, just got those feelings I'm sure u might know!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess I am the 1% then

I dont know why there is so much negative talk around calorie and macro counting.. Calling it a obsession? lol.. It is barely a minor inconvenience... I spend more time trying to find something good to watch on TV then I do counting my macros.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
I count protein sometimes. Otherwise, years of knowledge n learning portions/how much is what.. I can estimate enough n let the mirror br the judge
Im with ya here especially maintenance or bulking get your protein in from clean sources, dont eat s*** food and your good to go without having to fret about every little detail.

PVL

Banned
Awards
Im with ya here especially maintenance or bulking get your protein in from clean sources, dont eat s*** food and your good to go without having to fret about every little detail.
yep just eat healthy, and large protein portions with minimal carbs and you will look good in the mirror.........it always amazes me when I wake up and look in the mirror that i achieved this on my own without drugs...........its very rewarding..........

i was fat too when i was younger and hated being picked on, so i did something about...........dedicated myself to fitness and nutrition and stopped looking at supplements as the answer.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Got it. My fault.. I was the same way man... Always the fattest kid in my class until half through high school, then I went anorexic and almost died. Now I know how to manipulate my body and can be as big or lean as I want with all proper training diet and supping! I love seeing those effers who uses to treat me like sh!t bc of my weight. Now they're 23 yr old beer bellied, impotents and I'm running the show! Lol I'm not an a hole, just got those feelings I'm sure u might know!
Yea all the people that use to give me a hard time are nobody out of highschool. Dead end jobs and out of shape.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I guess I am the 1% then

I dont know why there is so much negative talk around calorie and macro counting.. Calling it a obsession? lol.. It is barely a minor inconvenience... I spend more time trying to find something good to watch on TV then I do counting my macros.
im in that 1% also brodawg.

it takes me 2 seconds to know what i want to eat, all i have to do is cook it.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
ive been eating copious amounts of food my entire life. i can guestimate protein, and fats (cheeses nuts PB) i cant guestimate carbs. well i can but usually off by enough thoughtout the day to cause an issue.

thats why when i do bulk, ill just do a box of life cereal a day i know thats about 250-300 carbs. easy enough.

PVL

Banned
Awards
ive been eating copious amounts of food my entire life. i can guestimate protein, and fats (cheeses nuts PB) i cant guestimate carbs. well i can but usually off by enough thoughtout the day to cause an issue.

thats why when i do bulk, ill just do a box of life cereal a day i know thats about 250-300 carbs. easy enough.
whatever keep you on track man, also dont forget about the carbs from lactose in the milk..........those count too