how many calories is too much?

  1. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    how many calories is too much?


    Hey broskies just woundering what you think. Over the course of this year I have went from 2500 cal all the way up to 5500. Even a 5500 my gains were slow what is a realistic expectation of weight gain more importantly muscle gain one can expect in a week. I find i gain muscle really slowly but strength steadily increase. Thoughts? I would also like to add once i get up to the 6000 cal range i plan on taking that as far as i can then cutting i mean its not realistic for me to eat that much.

  2. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Anything guys?
  3. Senior Member
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,608
    Rep Power
    83751
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    57.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    at a certain point more food is just gonna add more fat.

    you are only going to gain so much, even unnaturally.

    it takes time.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,961
    Rep Power
    4209584
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    31.54%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    when you start to get fat
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  5. Senior Member
    bigdavid's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    Rep Power
    19618
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    97.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    First make sure you are counting your calories accurately... and second eat as much as you want but as everyone said once you start gaining too much fat that will be the indicator that you have gone too high. There is no reason that eating X amount of food is good but Y amount of food is bad its all about your metabolism. People who climb mountains at high altitudes have to eat around 10,000 cals a day maybe more due to the stress their body is under at low oxygen levels plus the amount of physical work they do each day. Whatever it takes for you to meet your goals calorie wise is fine as long as it is truly what you need.
  6. New Member
    thestein1016's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    3151
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    97.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdavid View Post
    First make sure you are counting your calories accurately... and second eat as much as you want but as everyone said once you start gaining too much fat that will be the indicator that you have gone too high. There is no reason that eating X amount of food is good but Y amount of food is bad its all about your metabolism. People who climb mountains at high altitudes have to eat around 10,000 cals a day maybe more due to the stress their body is under at low oxygen levels plus the amount of physical work they do each day. Whatever it takes for you to meet your goals calorie wise is fine as long as it is truly what you need.
    ^This
    Log your cal intake on an excel sheet with proteins, fats, and carbs that you intake throughout the day. Instead of making such a drastic jump from 2500 to 5000, try adding cals slowly adjusting the number of proteins, fats, and carbs (you might not even need 5000cals). Stick to a ratio for a week, check the mirror, and readjust accordingly.
  7. New Member
    Cantell's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  204 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    252
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    66.06%

    This is a very broad question, I am in the same boat. According to calculator, and what not, at 4400 calories I should be PUSHING towards getting fat, I eat 5k a day easy, and stay about the same. I think everyone is different, and all the ratios/calculators are worthless. Just keep upping them a little until you make slow gains.
  8. New Member
    Redsox0432's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    18.5%

    never 2 much
  9. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141051
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    99.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by hugry4more View Post
    Hey broskies just woundering what you think. Over the course of this year I have went from 2500 cal all the way up to 5500. Even a 5500 my gains were slow what is a realistic expectation of weight gain more importantly muscle gain one can expect in a week. I find i gain muscle really slowly but strength steadily increase. Thoughts? I would also like to add once i get up to the 6000 cal range i plan on taking that as far as i can then cutting i mean its not realistic for me to eat that much.
    The deal is unless you're reaping in newbie gains or are juicing, you're not likely to see more than 2lbs/week, and even that will not be straight up muscle. So for that reason, on a bulk, I would shoot for netting 2lb/week for a while. It wont be all clean, but unless your diet sucks it will be more muscle than fat. You should probably stop after 40-60lbs weight gain and just stick around maintenance for a while until you're ready to cut (or start again on a cleaner bulk).

    Also calories are person-dependent. A pro card lifter over at EFS was detailing his diet and was talking about how he HAD to scruff down 7.7-8k cals to be worth a damn.
  10. New Member
    Conciliator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    175
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    78.11%

    It doesn't make any sense that at 169 lbs, "gains were slow" at 5500 Cal/day. At your weight, maintenance intake is somewhere around 2500/day. An intake of 5500/day should be putting on upwards of 6 lbs per week (i.e. from a surplus of 3000 Cal/day).

    I think you have one (or more) of the following problems:
    1) You're not eating nearly as many calories as you think you are, at least not consistently. As others have mentioned, actually measure your portions and log your intake on a daily basis.
    2) You're gaining weight faster than you think you are and you need to keep better track of your weight and weigh yourself more consistently.
    3) You actually have a medical condition such as hyperthyroidism, parasites, or a gastrointestinal disorder that inhibits your ability to absorb nutrients.

    All that said, it doesn't matter how many calories you're eating if you're not gaining weight. "A lot" doesn't matter if it's still "not enough" to gain weight. Gradually increase your calorie intake until you're gaining 1 lb/wk, or 2 lbs/wk if you want to bulk aggressively. That's a realistic expectation.
  11. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    The deal is unless you're reaping in newbie gains or are juicing, you're not likely to see more than 2lbs/week, and even that will not be straight up muscle. So for that reason, on a bulk, I would shoot for netting 2lb/week for a while. It wont be all clean, but unless your diet sucks it will be more muscle than fat. You should probably stop after 40-60lbs weight gain and just stick around maintenance for a while until you're ready to cut (or start again on a cleaner bulk).

    Also calories are person-dependent. A pro card lifter over at EFS was detailing his diet and was talking about how he HAD to scruff down 7.7-8k cals to be worth a damn.
    Thanks you for the straight forward answer man. I would love to gain 2 pounds a week that's the crazy thing I'm lucky if I can gain 1 pound a week n that's at a proper clean diet at 5500 Cal. Does this mean I'm a hard gainer or reaching my limit within this Cal range.
  12. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conciliator
    It doesn't make any sense that at 169 lbs, "gains were slow" at 5500 Cal/day. At your weight, maintenance intake is somewhere around 2500/day. An intake of 5500/day should be putting on upwards of 6 lbs per week (i.e. from a surplus of 3000 Cal/day).

    I think you have one (or more) of the following problems:
    1) You're not eating nearly as many calories as you think you are, at least not consistently. As others have mentioned, actually measure your portions and log your intake on a daily basis.
    2) You're gaining weight faster than you think you are and you need to keep better track of your weight and weigh yourself more consistently.
    3) You actually have a medical condition such as hyperthyroidism, parasites, or a gastrointestinal disorder that inhibits your ability to absorb nutrients.

    All that said, it doesn't matter how many calories you're eating if you're not gaining weight. "A lot" doesn't matter if it's still "not enough" to gain weight. Gradually increase your calorie intake until you're gaining 1 lb/wk, or 2 lbs/wk if you want to bulk aggressively. That's a realistic expectation.
    Thank u very informative. Consistancy may be some of it. People use to think I had something medicaly wrong Cuz my whole life I was supper skinny. Im in good shape def look bigger than I weigh. But I have been on strick diets at 5000. Some times I feel like the more I eat the faster my metabolism gets Idk. Any ways you made some good points. Time will tell once I get my diet hammered out again.
  13. New Member
    thestein1016's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    3151
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    97.01%

    Mirror>Scale

    Weight doesnt mean jacksht IMO. People think i weigh anywhere from 185-190 when I only weigh around 175-180.
    Try taking pictures instead of looking at the scale. Then you can also pay attention to whats changing and what needs to be improved as time progresses.

    Another thing, all these cals dont mean anything unless youre pushing yourself in the gym? Are you? I deal with people everyday that say they bust their butts in the gym, then when I train with them its like playing patty cake.
  14. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Yea I go hard my man. Like I always say go hard or go to planet fitness ha
  15. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33558
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    81.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    ive made years of this mistake-basically if your putting on too much bodyfat too fast its too much- stay in the leanish range year round

    id much rather be lean than a bulked up bloated face bloke
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by John Smeton
    ive made years of this mistake-basically if your putting on too much bodyfat too fast its too much- stay in the leanish range year round

    id much rather be lean than a bulked up bloated face bloke
    Yea I think that's kinda what happened to me. I was expecting 1-2 pounds a week so when I didn't gain that much I would up my Cal now I got to much fat!! So I think I going to use the mirror n log as my progress measurements not weight.
  17. New Member
    Marcinator's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    70.16%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conciliator View Post
    It doesn't make any sense that at 169 lbs, "gains were slow" at 5500 Cal/day. At your weight, maintenance intake is somewhere around 2500/day. An intake of 5500/day should be putting on upwards of 6 lbs per week (i.e. from a surplus of 3000 Cal/day).

    I think you have one (or more) of the following problems:
    1) You're not eating nearly as many calories as you think you are, at least not consistently. As others have mentioned, actually measure your portions and log your intake on a daily basis.
    2) You're gaining weight faster than you think you are and you need to keep better track of your weight and weigh yourself more consistently.
    3) You actually have a medical condition such as hyperthyroidism, parasites, or a gastrointestinal disorder that inhibits your ability to absorb nutrients.

    All that said, it doesn't matter how many calories you're eating if you're not gaining weight. "A lot" doesn't matter if it's still "not enough" to gain weight. Gradually increase your calorie intake until you're gaining 1 lb/wk, or 2 lbs/wk if you want to bulk aggressively. That's a realistic expectation.
  18. Banned
    Borispili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    22.22%

    I think your counting wrong because Im 5'5" 210 15% bf and on a heavy bulking cycle with multiple compounds (offseason), I m getting 6K on a good day and maybe 6500 on double gym session days at ur stats ur prob actually getting like 3000 kals: post a sample diet
  19. New Member
    wrathchild281's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    1995
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    53.05%

    def way too much. if you are a heavyweight bber or a strong man than maybe. Also are you really 169 lbs still..doesnt add up
  20. Advanced Member
    hugry4more's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    544
    Rep Power
    914
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%

    Man this thread is super old. And no this wasn't a miscalculation I was 170 eating 4500-5500 Cal a day. I don't know why but I serously stopped gaining weight. Anyways my body wants to be like 145. People never believe true ectos when were like I eat this much per day people just are like that's not possible. Anyways this thread is really old n I don't diet like this anymore at all. Just getting back into the game now just recovered from surgery.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. How Few Calories is too few?
    By skidalybop50 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
  2. How many calories should i take in
    By youngandmean in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 04:44 PM
  3. calories/calories from fat/ sugar alcohol
    By stfdkd37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 06:48 PM
  4. calories?
    By kev in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
  5. Calories Burned vs calories taken
    By xaktsaroth in forum Bulking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in