NEED WEIGHT

T19

Awards
I am 17 and im stuck at 170 lbs. i go to the gym almost everyday and have not gained a pound in months. I need help!

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what does your workout look like and how many calories are you getting a day?

T19

Awards
Saturday chest
Sunday shoulders
Monday bis\tris
Tuesday back
Wednesday i do a little more of everything
Thursday legs friday off.
Friday off

I do a good amount of workouts for each muscle. Could i be overtraining?

And calorie intake is not where it should be i know that but i cant really come up with a diet plan.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Saturday chest
Sunday shoulders
Monday bis\tris
Tuesday back
Friday off

And calorie intake is not where it should be i know that but i cant really come up with a diet plan.
I'd split it up to 3 days a week and also fix your calorie issue without enough calories you won't grow.

Fuzexd

Awards
Saturday chest
Sunday shoulders
Monday bis\tris
Tuesday back
Friday off

When you say "Wednesday i do a little more of everything" do you mean core? Don't forget core.
Unless your training the same muscles groups every day or training for too long with out feeding your muscles, you aren't over training.
All you're doing at the gym is breaking down your muscles. You make all of your gains after you tear your muscles down and rebuild by feeding them.
If you want to be big you have to eat a lot. It's very important that you come up with a good meal plan!

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Its all about the food.

At 17 you should have so much natural test running through your body a nice simple plan should suffice.

I suggest:

Eat - Lift - Eat - Sleep - Eat - Repeat or something like that :lol:

Work out your maintenance calories, add 500 per day.

If you dont grow - add 500 more

If you start to put on too much fat, back it off a little.

T19

Awards
When you say "Wednesday i do a little more of everything" do you mean core? Don't forget core.
Unless your training the same muscles groups every day or training for too long with out feeding your muscles, you aren't over training.
All you're doing at the gym is breaking down your muscles. You make all of your gains after you tear your muscles down and rebuild by feeding them.
If you want to be big you have to eat a lot. It's very important that you come up with a good meal plan!
I mean that i do the muscles over again with a few workouts each. I do core every other day and run everyday. And i guess i just have to figure out how to eat more! How many calories a day should i have?

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Your BMR (amount you use if you just slept all day) is about 1950 (based on your age, sex, height, and weight)

Weigh yourself - take measurements, neck, chest, hips, bicep, thigh, calf.
Take photograph for your records.

Start at 3000cals per day.

250g Protein = 1000 cals
100g fat = 900cals
The rest from carbs, so 1100cals = 275g

If you are having trouble working out a diet around these macros, try www.fitday.com

You can add foods, etc to work out a decent meal plan.

Like I said - if you start getting fat at 3000cals per day, reduce cals a bit, if you dont get bigger, increase your cals until you do.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I think you need to eat more as well.. you should be getting atleast 5-7 meals a day... How many are you eating??? you can also maybe add some whey protein, or mass gainer.

T19

Awards
I think you need to eat more as well.. you should be getting atleast 5-7 meals a day... How many are you eating??? you can also maybe add some whey protein, or mass gainer.
Wow on a good day 4 with some eating in between. I tried mass gainers and none seem to work for me? Is that because im not eating enough? I dont know how i can fit 7 meals in a day. Ill have to figure something out.

CrazyBassGuy-

I started counting my calories starting today and right now after dinner im somewhere around 3029. Around there. I find it pretty difficult to be continuously eating all the time will that change over time? I always feel full but i force myself to eat. And does it matter that im not really eating too healthy?

1 more thing, most of the time on weekdays i work out during the evening. Does it matter if i take my protein shake before or after i eat dinner? When i take it before i find that i cant finish my dinner.

Thanks for all the help!

Tboz

Banned
Awards
4 isnt bad.. add a snack a a shake before bed and you are at 6.. If you add that you will be close to 4000cals a day.. at your wight 170?? you should be able to be gaining weight.

Also look at what kind of body type you have.. you might not be able to add alot of weight. Adding 20lbs to others would be like 5lbs to you

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
If you are at 3029 now - shoot for about 3600 and see if you start to gain weight.

I have used 2 mass gainers - USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic - made up to a pint each serving is a thick shake containing about 550cals from memory.

Serious Mass (don't remember who by) is a much more carb heavy shake designed for hard gainers. Lots of maltodextrin so best taken only post workout (citation needed!) but cheaper by about half. I take half of their recommended serving into about a pint of water and that is 750cals!

Easy ways to add to your diet. Whole food is generally regarded as better but there is a limit to the amount of whole food you can buy, cook and eat per day!

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't waste your money on weight gainers man. As you have already seen by the posts, it's hard to get exactly what you want out of them.
It's better/cheaper/healthier to make you own. Plain whey protein with some "whole foods" like eggs, oats, natural peanut butter, milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc etc, the options are almost endless. Do your body a favor and put that extra $40 into a blender :)

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
You are of course correct - and I do have a blender.

However due to my work schedule life etc blah blah blah - it is hand for me to carry around a shaker of powder so I can just add water.

I personally limit to 1 shake a day - and add to my breakfast with some extra whey, and stick to whole food the rest of the meals.

bulk up man

Awards
I mean that i do the muscles over again with a few workouts each. I do core every other day and run everyday. And i guess i just have to figure out how to eat more! How many calories a day should i have?
Sounds like you are doing too much cardio. It's hard to put on weight if you are running everyday. Scale it down to no more than 40 minutes of running per week.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
as far as workouts go do no mare than 4 days a week. arms dont need their own day pair tri's with chest and bi's with back, dont waste a whole lot of time with bs moves focus on the heavy compound moves. limit cardio to about 3 days a week and keep the intensity of your cardio fairly low. besides that you dont have to eat a lot of meals, just make sure you get enough calories to grow from healthy sources. three meals a day plus a snack will suffice provided your macros and calories are right.