Bomb Burritos and Pizza.... good or bad?

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
I notice that both of these things contain high amounts of protein and their calories are very high. 1 bomb burrito is over 1000 cal with 30 grams of protein, and pizza is similar. For bulking are these foods acceptable or considered wholly dirty cals?

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
cheat meal for sure - burriotos are one of my faves :)

dont think it shoudl eb an every day thing but if you have pizza once or twice a week (within reason not talking whole pies) i dont think it would be a problem. assuming you are not straying with other meals.

HomeWorkouts

Awards
It also depends on your individual metabolism, and body fat goals. Also if you choose pizza instead of vegetables and meat too much you may get sick or at least sick to your stomach. Which can interfere with workouts.

whodey41

Awards
With my metabolism I can eat a whole medium pizza 2 days a week and have chipolte another and not have a problem. But I'm not on any type of diet or anything. I don't gain anything through doing that though.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
Well a few things that need to be expound upon here. The term "bulking' is used out of context in your question, but if so called "bulking" to your goals is gaining as much body fat and water retention with some muscle then yes eat up. I like to refer to "bulking" as gaining in a sense. People think that bulking is an excuse to get fat, sloppy or unhealthy. Oh I gained 30 lbs, yeah but guess what? Most of your gains is fat and water retention from high sodium foods like these burritos and pizza. While eating these are okay in moderation, I would not eat then frequently; while others are posting they do this 2-3 times a week and hardly gain weight, well then your calories are under maintenance the rest of the week and your diet is not in check. I do not believe 30 grams of protein is equivalent from a pizza (cheese and bread protein, along with pepporoni) holds as much value as 30 grams of protein from an animal source because of bio-availabiltiy.
Now for the answer to your question, These are considered dirty non-nutritional calories. These calories lack vitamins and minerals, have a high fat content which constitute them as dirty. I mean how would they be considered clean? HAha. I think it's all goal dependent, if you want to lift heavy weight and gain as much weight as possible, then go ahead and eat up. However, if your doing it from a physique and health perspective then in moderation, there is no easy way out.

Fuzexd

Awards
Definitely good, but not the best thing you could eat! :nana:

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
Well, I wasnt referring to bulking as gaining as much fat as possible lol I am currently on a 5k a day diet... That's 5000 Cal. My question is whether or not a bomb burrito is ok or just a waste of time. Can't really beat 1000 calories for 3 bucks so I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I reckon thats sweet and where can i get 1 in the land down under?? lol, Maybe you could cut it in half or thirds and spread those cal's throughout the day over your other meals... Obviously your on a bulk eating 5k cals, so your gonna carry some extra bodyfat anyway... so get into them i reckon!!! :D

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i dont think there dirty. atleast the pizza i make or the borretos.
eat away!

counterspy

counterspy

Awards
At first, I thought the 30 grams of protein value was somewhat low (disappointing to me)... i.e. only counting for 120 calories. 880+ calories left to account for fat and carbs, which makes it sound more like a giant tamale than a burrito! However, for the purpose of obtaining 5k calories, I bet it's actually helpful. It may not be that satiating, relatively speaking, so I think you may still feel quite inclined to consume more during the day.

For the sake of comparison - I imagined my own homemade burrito:
Ingredient - P/C/F in grams - cals

1/2 pound of 80% ground beef, 40 / 0 / 26, 394
1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese, 28 / 8 / 24, 360
12" whole wheat tortilla, 7 / 52 / 2, 254

Totals 75g protein, 60g carbs, 52g fat, approx 1008 calories. By comparison, even though I know I'd enjoy it, it'd feel like I ate lead shortly afterward, and, with the protein and saturated fats, I'd likely not feel like eating much for quite some time afterward. I SO have to do this, soon.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't consider only 30g of protein out of 1000 cals a good thing.

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
At first, I thought the 30 grams of protein value was somewhat low (disappointing to me)... i.e. only counting for 120 calories. 880+ calories left to account for fat and carbs, which makes it sound more like a giant tamale than a burrito! However, for the purpose of obtaining 5k calories, I bet it's actually helpful. It may not be that satiating, relatively speaking, so I think you may still feel quite inclined to consume more during the day.

For the sake of comparison - I imagined my own homemade burrito:
Ingredient - P/C/F in grams - cals

1/2 pound of 80% ground beef, 40 / 0 / 26, 394
1 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese, 28 / 8 / 24, 360
12" whole wheat tortilla, 7 / 52 / 2, 254

Totals 75g protein, 60g carbs, 52g fat, approx 1008 calories. By comparison, even though I know I'd enjoy it, it'd feel like I ate lead shortly afterward, and, with the protein and saturated fats, I'd likely not feel like eating much for quite some time afterward. I SO have to do this, soon.
Thats a great burrito man. I am just starting to cook bulk foods at the beginning of the week so I will look into doing some burritos. I found a slightly cleaner burrito at costco, but still full of "fatty cals" so I need to find my groove in the diet/cook/preperation area.

counterspy

counterspy

Awards
Thats a great burrito man. I am just starting to cook bulk foods at the beginning of the week so I will look into doing some burritos. I found a slightly cleaner burrito at costco, but still full of "fatty cals" so I need to find my groove in the diet/cook/preperation area.
Forgot about this thread! I hear ya on the cooking. I've only recently graduated from ****ty cook to barely adequate, but so far so good. I don't care for the prep (mostly) and cleanup (a little), but as long as it's simple, I've been able to do it.

Anyway - with regard to the homemade burritos: I actually did this once! Man, I thought I was gonna die... of satisfaction!!

So, as it was, there was a sale on 80% beef at the store (3lb+), but naturally, there never is any left when I show up. So, that time, I was stuck with 1.5lb of 85%. Time went on and one day I looked in the fridge and saw that the use-by date was that very day, so I was like "oh, ****! I have to eat this now!!" and I proceeded to cook all of it. I browned it in a skillet and mixed generous hamburger seasoning and some pepper seasoning. Then I toasted four 8" whole wheat tortillas on another skillet. Had the beef in a large bowl, piled the tortillas on my plate, and grabbed a bag of mozzarella cheese from the fridge. I'd scoop out enough meat to fill a tortilla, sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top, roll it and eat.

I'm not that big, but I sure as hell devoured the 4 burritos... over 1 cup of mozzarella, a little over a pound of beef. Wow. This meal was so tasty & fulfilling that I pretty much went straight to a food coma. Gave the remainder of the beef to my dog, and she got knocked out, too.

Hope you're able to cook it up and enjoy it!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
For bulking I would say it works on the good ol' assumption "if it fits the macros". For recomp or weight loss, I would stir away unless it's a cheat meal.

A burrito can be very good on bulks, depending on what you put into it. Qdoba is my personal favorite and getting a burrito bowl with tortilla on the side, double order of black beans, chicken and veggies gives me a good overall 800 calories that will fit a 40/40/20 macro pretty darn to the tee.

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
"I hear ya on the cooking. I've only recently graduated from ****ty cook to barely adequate, but so far so good. I don't care for the prep (mostly) and cleanup (a little), but as long as it's simple, I've been able to do it."

Right on man, me too! I think Im doing fairly well at this point. I started hardboiling an 18 pack of eggs on suday and every night when I get done cooking dinner I fry up some rice for lunch the next day. The burritos are helping with the snacks but like I am still eating packaged burritos. Glad to hear that they are in other peoples fridge as well. I guess Ill start cooking some on Sundays as well.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Practice the cooking! You'd be amazed what "favorite" foods of yours you can home-make to fit your needs and goals. I make my own pizza at home...Bolboli Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, low-cal pizza sauce, low-fat high-protein Mozzarella cheese, and then lean beef/chicken breast (and some pepperoni) as toppings. Can fit my macros perfectly when I'm bulking, and is very high in protein.

The above example for a burrito is good as well. Start reading recipes, search google...improvise man!

RenoRokstar

RenoRokstar

Awards
Practice the cooking! You'd be amazed what "favorite" foods of yours you can home-make to fit your needs and goals. I make my own pizza at home...Bolboli Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, low-cal pizza sauce, low-fat high-protein Mozzarella cheese, and then lean beef/chicken breast (and some pepperoni) as toppings. Can fit my macros perfectly when I'm bulking, and is very high in protein.

The above example for a burrito is good as well. Start reading recipes, search google...improvise man!
Cool man, I will be doing some improvisation this weekend. I need to find things I can make in bulk on Sat/Sun and last till Friday pretty much. Get alot done on the weekends and worry only about work and training on the week.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Ditto on the pizza! I have a pizza stone and its a great investment! I like to make pesto for sauce and it works great! Also, buy huge cuts of meat and throw em in the slow cooker. You can make quite a few shredded beef burritos or pulled pork burritos! Just throw a chunk in before bed and its ready in the morning. I have a 7 quart food processor that's Awsome for making my own peanut butter. I buy bulk raw peanuts or almonds and it makes a boat load and is very cheap. Hope any of this helps.