Review my bulking stack

S

sailor08

Awards
I have been working on a bulking stack and would like peoples opinions. My goal is to put on some extra weight around 10-15 pounds by spring time. I am definitely a hard gainer and always have been. I'm hoping that with a strict diet and some supplements I can finally overcome being a hard gainer and build some mass. A little fat wouldn't be a terrible thing either. So about my stack. I have been looking around for a while now and finally started coming up with some choices of things to stack together. My choices are as follows:

Upon waking: whey protein
Universal animal stak
Universal animal m-stak
Multi & fish oil

Pre-workout: I-force hemavol
Pure karbolyn

Post-workout: Myogenix aftershock

Appetite stimulate: xero limits engorge

Bedtime: BioRhytm Regenerate

That's what I have chosen so far based on ingredients and reviews. I am thinking about throwing some taurine in with my pre-workout. I have heard it helps with focus. I have been taking protein and creatine along with just a basic multi and fish oil and have put on almost 7 pounds over the past 3 months and now I just feel it's time to step it up a little and see what happens. I have been doing a lot of reading on AM and BB and now I want to actually start putting things to the test. I have just about got my diet down along with finding the time to hit the gym between work and my family. So I would like to hear what you guys have to say and any recommendations are welcome as well.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can you please post your diet? I will help where I can. I am a hard gainer too and have found some tricks. I can tell you right now though to save your money on most of the supplements man. Food is where its at.
And you need more than just a serving of whey upon waking.
Will check back when I get home from the gym.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weight, age, workout plan too please.

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Listen to flex, food is the key to gaining. The only supps you need are protein, multi, fish oil, creatine. Extra's pre-workout and if you don't need an Appetite stimulant that will come with just eating and pushing throught the mental walls of feeling full.
Food,lots of FOOD and Flex is all you will need.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Listen to flex, food is the key to gaining. The only supps you need are protein, multi, fish oil, creatine. Extra's pre-workout and if you don't need an Appetite stimulant that will come with just eating and pushing throught the mental walls of feeling full.
Food,lots of FOOD and Flex is all you will need.
LOL^^

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
By the way op you really need to become friends with peanut-butter, oat meal, ground beef, and lots of tuna cans.. :)

S

sailor08

Awards
Weight-136
Age-23

I hit the gym Monday thru Friday and take the weekend off. Sounds a little odd but work takes so much of my time that I go to the gym in the mornings and the weekends are my family time. Monday and thursdays are for upper body and tuesdays and Fridays are for lower body. Wednesdays I do some plyometrics and circuit training that way I get a little cardio with strength training.

I can see why y'all are suggesting food food and more food and I agree. I just feel like I have hit a wall with weight gain and I'm struggling. I think whats causing the biggest problem is I'm in the navy and we just recently started going back underway a week here and a week there and it is causing problems with my diet so I was trying to figure out a way to help supplement it. Thanks for all who have responded. The help is greatly appreciated.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weight-136
Age-23

I hit the gym Monday thru Friday and take the weekend off. Sounds a little odd but work takes so much of my time that I go to the gym in the mornings and the weekends are my family time. Monday and thursdays are for upper body and tuesdays and Fridays are for lower body. Wednesdays I do some plyometrics and circuit training that way I get a little cardio with strength training.

I can see why y'all are suggesting food food and more food and I agree. I just feel like I have hit a wall with weight gain and I'm struggling. I think whats causing the biggest problem is I'm in the navy and we just recently started going back underway a week here and a week there and it is causing problems with my diet so I was trying to figure out a way to help supplement it. Thanks for all who have responded. The help is greatly appreciated.
I see, yeah being in a situation like that can be tough.
I work 12 hour shifts at my work and we're never "guaranteed" a long period for a break, just kinda take them when we can. Some days I could be on break all shift and other days I get a max of maybe 20 minutes. So my meal plan is always the same. Drink a big custom made shake on the way to work, 2-3 hours later I chow down 500 calories as fast as I can, and do the same 2-3 hours later, so on, for the whole shift, then hit the gym, then I get home, make a shake, and cook myself another big meal while it's digesting and force it down before I go to sleep, always topped off with some sort of casein.
At your weight, you should be aiming for around 3500 calories. Keep protein intake as high as you can manage, 1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight, keep carbs up, and get in some healthy fats too. I never really gave a sh!t about carbs before and always felt like I ate a lot, but sometimes my meals barely even contained any carbs! Once I learned how to eat to grow, that's when the gains started coming.

How many calories do you take in currently? And what kind of meals are you eating? Chicken & rice, steak & potatoes, etc etc? This is the kind of stuff you need to think about. Write it all down, and make yourself a meal schedule and stick as closely to it as you possibly can. And if you eat an extra meal here and there, it isn't going to kill you ;)

Me being 210-220 pounds I obviously eat more, I aim for 4500-5000 calories a day, but here is a sample of my meal plan for an example:

6: Protein shake (16 oz whole milk, 1.5 scoops whey, .5 cups oats, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, scoop of kwik carb or tbsp of honey)
8:30: MetRX Big 100 bar
11: 8oz steak with potatoes, or .5lb lean ground beef with 1 cup rice
2: Salmon filet with either rice or potatoes, or chicken alfredo pasta with broccoli
4:30 (preworkout meal): 2 cans tuna, 4 slices wheat bread. Bread isn't the best choice for carbs here but it works for me bulking
6:30: gym (I drink BCAA's while I lift)
8: Protein shake similar to my breakfast shake
9-10: Same as my 11:00 meal, I try to eat the opposite of what I had earlier
Casein shake or cottage cheese, BED time.

That seems like a lot but once you get used to it it's pretty easy to eat it all. You could have a similar meal plan or make your own, there are tons better out there. Every one of my meals is 500-700 calories. If I end up eating lighter I usually try and sneak in a couple tbsp of natty pb throughout the day or anything else to get some extra healthy calories in.

Any other questions, ask away.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
When I was really trying to gain weight besides eating a lot I used universal animal M stak...I dont think they have a rep here but I had good results with the product gained 5 lbs in the 3 weeks I was on it. Everyone here said everything already I am just giving a supp I thought helped me when I was struggling with weight gain for a while.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I see, yeah being in a situation like that can be tough.
I work 12 hour shifts at my work and we're never "guaranteed" a long period for a break, just kinda take them when we can. Some days I could be on break all shift and other days I get a max of maybe 20 minutes. So my meal plan is always the same. Drink a big custom made shake on the way to work, 2-3 hours later I chow down 500 calories as fast as I can, and do the same 2-3 hours later, so on, for the whole shift, then hit the gym, then I get home, make a shake, and cook myself another big meal while it's digesting and force it down before I go to sleep, always topped off with some sort of casein.
At your weight, you should be aiming for around 3500 calories. Keep protein intake as high as you can manage, 1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight, keep carbs up, and get in some healthy fats too. I never really gave a sh!t about carbs before and always felt like I ate a lot, but sometimes my meals barely even contained any carbs! Once I learned how to eat to grow, that's when the gains started coming.

How many calories do you take in currently? And what kind of meals are you eating? Chicken & rice, steak & potatoes, etc etc? This is the kind of stuff you need to think about. Write it all down, and make yourself a meal schedule and stick as closely to it as you possibly can. And if you eat an extra meal here and there, it isn't going to kill you ;)

Me being 210-220 pounds I obviously eat more, I aim for 4500-5000 calories a day, but here is a sample of my meal plan for an example:

6: Protein shake (16 oz whole milk, 1.5 scoops whey, .5 cups oats, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, scoop of kwik carb or tbsp of honey)
8:30: MetRX Big 100 bar
11: 8oz steak with potatoes, or .5lb lean ground beef with 1 cup rice
2: Salmon filet with either rice or potatoes, or chicken alfredo pasta with broccoli
4:30 (preworkout meal): 2 cans tuna, 4 slices wheat bread. Bread isn't the best choice for carbs here but it works for me bulking
6:30: gym (I drink BCAA's while I lift)
8: Protein shake similar to my breakfast shake
9-10: Same as my 11:00 meal, I try to eat the opposite of what I had earlier
Casein shake or cottage cheese, BED time.

That seems like a lot but once you get used to it it's pretty easy to eat it all. You could have a similar meal plan or make your own, there are tons better out there. Every one of my meals is 500-700 calories. If I end up eating lighter I usually try and sneak in a couple tbsp of natty pb throughout the day or anything else to get some extra healthy calories in.

Any other questions, ask away.
Damn I like your diet I might steal some of it haha

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
also what company whey do you use Flex?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn I like your diet I might steal some of it haha
Oh man, please, if you do, do it healthier than me lol. I pick the carbs that I do because I'm too lazy to care! I really need to consider throwing avocados in the mix somehow.
also what company whey do you use Flex?
I honestly just use whatever is on sale. Sometimes it's whatever Walmart has, sometimes it's a 5lb tub from NutraPlanet, and currently am using Clean Protein. Bought a bunch of tubs of that stuff when it was on whey cheap a few months ago.
I used to use eggs instead of protein powder but had a crazy case of the sh!ts that lasted over a week and I got paranoid about them so I don't even bother anymore. Egg whites purchased in a jug from the store would be great but too pricey.

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Follow the outline flex has given and you should grow. If you find you just can not get through the food walls try Anabolic Designs-Ravenous I have heard its really good, but I just force stuff down. If you need some gainer shake recipes google is your best friend and there are a crap-ton of options to make your own. Don't buy gainer proteins if you don't have to I find them to be a waste and homemade tastes better and you can add all the stuff you want.

Also have some fun and go eat a buffet once in awhile to really get your body growing and to learn how to really pack in food.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Follow the outline flex has given and you should grow. If you find you just can not get through the food walls try Anabolic Designs-Ravenous I have heard its really good, but I just force stuff down. If you need some gainer shake recipes google is your best friend and there are a crap-ton of options to make your own. Don't buy gainer proteins if you don't have to I find them to be a waste and homemade tastes better and you can add all the stuff you want.

Also have some fun and go eat a buffet once in awhile to really get your body growing and to learn how to really pack in food.
Hell yeah! Man I forgot about Ravenous but I have heard some good stuff about it too. I see he already has Engorge planned into his supp list though so hopefully he gets his money's worth out of that. Haven't heard any reviews good or bad about it so who knows.
One thing that helps me get all of my meal down is to eat it as fast as possible. Roughly half an hour after you consume some food, your stomach sends a message to your brain in a way, which in turn somehow tells your stomach it's jam packed, no vacancy! Not exactly sure how it went, but basically the faster you get it down, the less crappy you will feel sitting there shoveling food down ;)
Also found that the aroma of garlic makes me HUNGRY, I smell my garlic powder shaker while I'm cooking and it makes my stomach start growling.

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Yeah eat fast and furious, and have a drink near by to wash it down it helps ALOT

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, please, if you do, do it healthier than me lol. I pick the carbs that I do because I'm too lazy to care! I really need to consider throwing avocados in the mix somehow.

I honestly just use whatever is on sale. Sometimes it's whatever Walmart has, sometimes it's a 5lb tub from NutraPlanet, and currently am using Clean Protein. Bought a bunch of tubs of that stuff when it was on whey cheap a few months ago.
I used to use eggs instead of protein powder but had a crazy case of the sh!ts that lasted over a week and I got paranoid about them so I don't even bother anymore. Egg whites purchased in a jug from the store would be great but too pricey.

Lol ehh defining clean is relative. I'm basically always trying to gain weight so eating high enough calories is the hardest part for me your diet looks "clean" enough haha. And for the whey yeah I haven't been using anything special either been using the walmart brand recently myself lol cause I don't feel like ordering a large tub

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
I just can not stomach the Body Fortress protein in wal-mart I have had some and just would down it as fast I could just to get it done. It is a close second in nasty taste behind the old beef protein drinks.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
In high school I developed an acquired taste to cheap protein flavoring which seems to still be active I dont mind it at all haha

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just can not stomach the Body Fortress protein in wal-mart I have had some and just would down it as fast I could just to get it done. It is a close second in nasty taste behind the old beef protein drinks.
What flavor? The only one I can actually enjoy somewhat is the chocolate fudge or whatever the hell it's called. The peanut butter and some cinnamon help too.
In high school I developed an acquired taste to cheap protein flavoring which seems to still be active I dont mind it at all haha
CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG! Lol

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will also agree to listen to flex! He has helped me put on serious weight, I have a lot of respect for Justin(Flex). Diet is crucial for sure.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to add, because I understand a tight work schedule, Sunday night I tend to either grill or bake up a bunch of chicken. Chicken is a huge part of my diet and it tastes great! I take about 5 marinaded chicken breasts and cook them up Sunday night and portion them into meals for the next few days.

S

sailor08

Awards
When I was really trying to gain weight besides eating a lot I used universal animal M stak...I dont think they have a rep here but I had good results with the product gained 5 lbs in the 3 weeks I was on it. Everyone here said everything already I am just giving a supp I thought helped me when I was struggling with weight gain for a while.
I have read alot of reviews about m-stak increasing appetite and plan on giving it a try once i get my diet in order.

S

sailor08

Awards

I agree that gainer powders are a waste. It's almost like drinking a solid if you know what I mean. I have made some homemade shakes using whole milk as a base and they are much better. I am just usually so pressed for time. Plus I forgot to wash the blender one time before I left for a couple days and the smell was horrific and the wife got a little upset. Whoops. Lol.

S

sailor08

Awards
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I am going underway today but I'll be back later tomorrow night.

malleus25

malleus25

Awards
Any of the flavors of body fortress. I just can not stomach them unless I do alot of customizing to the shake.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I am going underway today but I'll be back later tomorrow night.
Thanks for taking the advice! Some people ask for help and then refuse any advice given lol. And also, I appreciate your service bro. Have a lot of enlisted friends myself.

Any of the flavors of body fortress. I just can not stomach them unless I do alot of customizing to the shake.
I don't know why they need to make them taste so bad. Have you ever tried any of that other crap, the 5 star, or 6 star whatever it's called? Made by the same guys as Muscletech. It tells you that right on the label lol.

A

aceroni

Awards
I dont think you need the appetite stimulant.. seems like a waste of $$

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I have read alot of reviews about m-stak increasing appetite and plan on giving it a try once i get my diet in order.
It was a pretty solid supp if you ask me but I havent taken any universal supps for a while I'm not sure why lol might give M stak a try again in a few months. And it's more than the appetite deff has a nutrient partitioning effect and leaned me out some.

J

josephd79

Awards
Some additional advice: I find that doing compound movements such as Squats and Shoulder presses builds a great appetite for the next day. I seem to always be hungriest after those work out days. So *don't* forget squats on leg day. In fact, if you can do squats twice a week, you'd be starving for big meals.

At Walmart, there are these frozen blueberry or buttermilk pancakes. They are cheap and microwavable for some quick nitetime carbs plus calories which will definitely add some weight. Not all will be muscle, but that goes with the territory of dirty bulk and being a hard gainer. We take anything we can get. (You'll slim down easily and as needed, say for summertime...)

I've also had some good luck with Monster Milk (2 scoops) plus an additional scoop of TrueMass and a tblspoon of Canola Oil in my night time shake. (After my pancakes and eggwhites)

I think everyone has suggested food food food, which is correct. Some of us hardgainers have a hard time putting down so much food. Another trick is to get up at 3 or 4AM for a shake, and then go back to bed. You can put uncooked Oatmeal in your shake to help slow down the digestive process.