BULKING IS BAD? Good Article!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I read it all! and totally agree with all of it, cept the cookies part. nothing wrong with chocolate chip cookies!! :p

more calories to bulk up? yes and moreprotein. butnot eating **** food every day.
gaining a few pounds of fatover a bulking session (3-4months) is fine.if your balloning up and think its all muscle of those 30lbs you gains in 3months thats bs lol

anywaynice read

C

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
I read it all! and totally agree with all of it, cept the cookies part. nothing wrong with chocolate chip cookies!! :p

more calories to bulk up? yes and moreprotein. butnot eating **** food every day.
gaining a few pounds of fatover a bulking session (3-4months) is fine.if your balloning up and think its all muscle of those 30lbs you gains in 3months thats bs lol

anywaynice read
Ha, well what I took from it is, eating a bit above maintanence may be ok, but the stereotype of eating 500-1000 above is just plain silly/useless?

N

nonidentity

Awards
  • Established
I hate it when people tell a newb to eat everything in sight. I once saw pics of an endomorph newb who dirty bulked for 2 years :O...
It was so sad, he was working hard, but because of bad advice he actually got farther away from his goal than when he started.

C

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
I hate it when people tell a newb to eat everything in sight. I once saw pics of an endomorph newb who dirty bulked for 2 years :O...
It was so sad, he was working hard, but because of bad advice he actually got farther away from his goal than when he started.
Ha, I bet he was "BIG" tho...

Dam, now when I get off cycle, I am not sure what my diet will look like!

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
basic knowledge pretty much.not a bad read but it seems preachy at times.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate that too but I don't have sympathy for someone who is lazy enough to just let everyone tell him what to do and not have any knowledge/research on the subject. When guys get fat like that on a bulk they have nobody but themselves to blame.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe this is what ppl call lean bulking?

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
This article makes perfect sense, In fact; this is what I was taught... Your body is like a plant you can give it as much sunlight and water as you like but there is only a certain rate it can grow. After it hits this rate it can't exceed unless you add miracle grow (Drugs). haha

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree to an extent. if a dude can afford internet, he can afford a mirror. he knows he is getting fat. stop eating. that simple. people are just dumb

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
i agree to an extent. if a dude can afford internet, he can afford a mirror. he knows he is getting fat. stop eating. that simple. people are just dumb
HAHAHAHAHA no sugar coating there!

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Basic 101 nutrition approach for a natural trainee. For the enhanced athlete everything changes, and the more hormones in the blood the more you can use these crazy "bulking" practices without as much damage afterwards.....BUT regardless enhanced or natural, you should be NOT LAZY and abide by smart and healthy protocols. When GAINING (I hate bulking term) Overload above maintenance for 3-4-5 weeks or so...maybe more...depends...then "mini-diet" for 3-4-5 weeks or so....signaling metabolism, insulin , leptin, ghrelin etc etc.....problem is most people are friggin L A Z Y....make excused for looking like piles of lard.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha agreed! I rarely count my cals.. if my scale is moving up day by day, i need to cut back. I shoot for 1lb gain every 14ish days for me to be comfortable with it.

Mike

flw

flw

Awards
I've made a promise to my self to never get too heavy again. I've been cutting for 4+ months, so far gone from 225 to 182 and I still have 5-7 more lbs to go.
At one point I thought I was putting on a good amount of muscle and then i thought i was just a bigger guy and inly had to loose 10-15 to look good. then one day there was this fat guy staring back at me from the mirror, it's astonishing how much fat the body can pack away and hide from us until bam, you're fat! :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good article.

You could go further and discuss the negative hormonal effects of carrying excess body fat as well: increased resistin, decreased adiponectin, increased inflammation, etc. As well as the negative effects of eating crap calories (inflammatory response).

My biggest suggestion is to make sure to eat A LOT of green vegetables.

1. For that alkaline properties (well discussed by Berardi: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm)

2. Because high protein diets (without adequate vegetable consumption) increase homocysteine levels, which increase adipogenesis (fat storage), reduce insulin sensitivity and inhibit insulin/growth factor mediated protein synthesis. Which I will be covering in some great detail in a few weeks time.

Br

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good article.

You could go further and discuss the negative hormonal effects of carrying excess body fat as well: increased resistin, decreased adiponectin, increased inflammation, etc. As well as the negative effects of eating crap calories (inflammatory response).

My biggest suggestion is to make sure to eat A LOT of green vegetables.

1. For that alkaline properties (well discussed by Berardi: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm)

2. Because high protein diets (without adequate vegetable consumption) increase homocysteine levels, which increase adipogenesis (fat storage), reduce insulin sensitivity and inhibit insulin/growth factor mediated protein synthesis. Which I will be covering in some great detail in a few weeks time.

Br
What would you consider A LOT of green veggies?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good question.

I would say try to eat a large serving (3-5 oz) with each protein feeding. Go for dark greens, such as spinach, collard greens, broccoli rabe, chard, etc.

Br

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards
Basically eating the same good foods you do when your maintaing your weight add few 100 cals of the same good foods to each meal and your putting on more muscle correct? I mean Sometimes i guess it is alright to have your cheat meal and over do it but still stick with the same good nutritous foods. Well not exact science for anyone to follow and I have not done much research but it seems to be a no brainer.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Great read, really got me rethinking things...

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good question.

I would say try to eat a large serving (3-5 oz) with each protein feeding. Go for dark greens, such as spinach, collard greens, broccoli rabe, chard, etc.

Br
thanks, i east about a pound of broccoli a day, but ill be sure to add more spinach and the such in there.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bulking up is completely retarded for most people. Unless you are chemically enhanced with gh, and aas and thermos etc...."dirty bulking" is absurd, and is regardless of hormonal environment.

Proper over eating and under eating periods are nice for accomplishing muscle accrual without effing up blood work too much, and screwing up your digestion etc

F

frankrock1234

Awards
I agree. I feel sorry for him. But I think it's also his fault. 2 years is a very long time to be fooled.