Carbs while on bulk? How many do you guys shoot for?

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so really trying to put on the weight for this cycle. Plan on 4500-5000 cals. I have been getting about 400 Carbs a day, which seems high to me, but I know everyone is different depending on Insulin sensativity ect.

How many do you guys aim for and why? For protein, you generally here 1.5-2g per lb of bw, is there a rule of thumb like that for carbs that you guys follow?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I suggest 1 g/lb protein, 30% of calories fat, the rest CHO.

Br

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
IMO if you are not on a steroid anything more than 1 g protein / lb is prob useless. If you go upwards of 2 g protein / lb you are going to be using a lot of that protein to make more carbs (youll just pee out most of the nitrogen). Br has the idea right that is a good proportion for a bulk.

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
IMO if you are not on a steroid anything more than 1 g protein / lb is prob useless. If you go upwards of 2 g protein / lb you are going to be using a lot of that protein to make more carbs (youll just pee out most of the nitrogen). Br has the idea right that is a good proportion for a bulk.
I always aim for 1.5 of protein regardless, guess I am hard headed there, but I want to here more about CARBS. O and PS, I am on a cycle...

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I always aim for 1.5 of protein regardless, guess I am hard headed there, but I want to here more about CARBS. O and PS, I am on a cycle...
Well in that case yeah shoot for 1 to 2 g protein / lb but you are doing that regardless haha. For fats you really 25 - 35 % of cals is the best goal for that. And if you are shooting for a total calorie number..for example you said around 5000 cals/ day. Let's do the math:
1360 cals protein, 1500 cals fat (assuming 30%), carbs remainder = 2140/4 = 535 g carbs per day. If you want less total cals just reduce the carbs. If you are on a cycle this will not make you fat if that is what you are worried about. I just read you are currently taking in 400 g carbs per day. Just stick to that monitor your weight gain over the week and if you are going up keep it there if not increase your carb intake since your fat and protein intake should not change much.

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
Well in that case yeah shoot for 1 to 2 g protein / lb but you are doing that regardless haha. For fats you really 25 - 35 % of cals is the best goal for that. And if you are shooting for a total calorie number..for example you said around 5000 cals/ day. Let's do the math:
1360 cals protein, 1500 cals fat (assuming 30%), carbs remainder = 2140/4 = 535 g carbs per day. If you want less total cals just reduce the carbs. If you are on a cycle this will not make you fat if that is what you are worried about. I just read you are currently taking in 400 g carbs per day. Just stick to that monitor your weight gain over the week and if you are going up keep it there if not increase your carb intake since your fat and protein intake should not change much.
Yea, I do worry about the fat gain. It took me alot of work to get to 7%, but I want to add some quality size. I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you figure percentages out for macro break down? I know carbs/pro=4 cals, and fat=9 cals, but dont know how to figure the percentages...I am really bad at math lol! Please give me a lesson!

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
I guess maybe I'll say more detail as well since you asked "why" so here is my justification for the high carbs. You are already taking in a substantial amount of protein per day and are on a cycle. This means your energy needs will be sky high. You need large amounts of atp for anabolism and for fueling your workouts. Your ability to store glycogen is also increased substantially on a cycle. Since you are trying to gain weight you need a calorie excess (and a large one on a cycle). There is no benefit to increasing the fat past 35% and your protein is already as high as it can go. Therefore, there is simply no other nutrient to eat more of for total cal increase unless you increase your carb intake. I think that is what you were asking for?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I do worry about the fat gain. It took me alot of work to get to 7%, but I want to add some quality size. I know this sounds ridiculous, but how do you figure percentages out for macro break down? I know carbs/pro=4 cals, and fat=9 cals, but dont know how to figure the percentages...I am really bad at math lol! Please give me a lesson!
Darn I used your post count as your weight LOL let me start over.

Well we are just playing with a total number in this case 5000 calories. If you want 2 g protein / lb. I calculate total protein cals first. Your weight (200) * 2 = 400 g protein / day * 4 cals/g protein = 1600 cals protein. We are saying fat is 30% total cals so 0.3*5000 = 1500 cals. So now 5000 - 1600 - 1500 = 1900 cals for carbs. 1900/4 = 475 g carbs. (So to recap that means 400 g protein, 475 g carbs, and fats 9s 1500/9 = 167 g fat)

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
mct oil is a good place to start...

protein 330g

Fat 150g

MCT 50g (from coconut oil)

the rest in carbs should be about 230g

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
Darn I used your post count as your weight LOL let me start over.

Well we are just playing with a total number in this case 5000 calories. If you want 2 g protein / lb. I calculate total protein cals first. Your weight (200) * 2 = 400 g protein / day * 4 cals/g protein = 1600 cals protein. We are saying fat is 30% total cals so 0.3*5000 = 1500 cals. So now 5000 - 1600 - 1500 = 1900 cals for carbs. 1900/4 = 475 g carbs. (So to recap that means 400 g protein, 475 g carbs, and fats 9s 1500/9 = 167 g fat)
Ha, close enough as far as weight! Wow man, I owe you for this post! I may need to up the protein! I have been getting more like 320-350, and more like 400 carbs, meaning I am probably getting a bit to much fat. I kinda feel like 5000cals is over kill tho, so maybe 4500 would be more reseanable and prevent much fat gain...

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Ha, close enough as far as weight! Wow man, I owe you for this post! I may need to up the protein! I have been getting more like 320-350, and more like 400 carbs, meaning I am probably getting a bit to much fat. I kinda feel like 5000cals is over kill tho, so maybe 4500 would be more reseanable and prevent much fat gain...
The key is to start at a lower level and build up as you see your weight gain slow. So to prevent fat gain you should prob start at 4000-4500 cals/day and then work up from there. Good luck!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take in around 1g protein per pound of bodyweight.. although I dont count my bcaa and eaa intake into that. around 90g fat, and 300g carbs with na-rala.

Mike

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
I take in around 1g protein per pound of bodyweight.. although I dont count my bcaa and eaa intake into that. around 90g fat, and 300g carbs with na-rala.

Mike
Could you tell me a bit more on na-rala? I keep hearing it being brought up...

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could you tell me a bit more on na-rala? I keep hearing it being brought up...
It's a nutrient repartitioner. It helps shuttle carbs into muscle cells, away from fat cells. Works to burn fat when dieting by starving fat cells, and when bulking, helps build muscle and prevent fat gain by placing carbs only into the muscle cells.

Thats the basic concept.

Cantell

Awards
  • Established
It's a nutrient repartitioner. It helps shuttle carbs into muscle cells, away from fat cells. Works to burn fat when dieting by starving fat cells, and when bulking, helps build muscle and prevent fat gain by placing carbs only into the muscle cells.

Thats the basic concept.
Wow, sounds to good to be true.

I want to learn more! Dammit, now Im going to be up all night researching!

Is there studies on it? Have you seen results? Does it interfere with other supps?

Lastly, is it something I would have to order? Or can I buy it in the "vitamin" section at local pharmacies?