Overtraining?

Gym.Eat.Sleep

Awards
I am trying to bulk up. The past 35 days i have been lifting with maybe 3-4 days that i took off because of a sore back muscle. My training split is day 1 chest, day 2 back, day 3 arms and shoulders, then day 4 legs and then i start over again. My workouts last about 1.5-2 hours long. Everywhere i read says that working out everyday would lead to overtraining but i have experienced the biggest change, in a positive way, in my physique than ever before. Should i continue doing this or take a more conventionally route by doing a chest/tri, back/bi, rest, legs, shoulders and abs, rest apporach?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, unless you're in the higher 1RM%, then you don't run the risk of overtraining. Of course, that assumes proper nutrition, rest, and no hormonal impairment.

SizeUp

Awards
Agreed w/ above.. but just curious why so long for each session? How many sets per bp normally?

Gym.Eat.Sleep

Awards
Agreed w/ above.. but just curious why so long for each session? How many sets per bp normally?
I like to do 5 sets of 7 reps on my 4 main lifts (bench, bentover rows, squats, standing military press) and ill try to add weight when i can do more than 7 reps. On my other lifts ill do mainly 4 sets of between 6-20 reps depending on the day.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I think overtraing has more to do with the individual and their recovery time. If you can recover and dont feel over trained thats fine. But someone else may find thay they cant recover enough in time to do your routine and they would be overtraining. So if its working. Keep at it.

Gym.Eat.Sleep

Awards
I feel strong in the gym everyday i go so ill keep at it!

truthornothin

truthornothin

Awards
  • Established
I feel strong in the gym everyday i go so ill keep at it!
Age is a factor too, I'm 46 and I train 3 on and 1 off, If My gains cease I'll go 2 on and 1 off. Often if I train too much with no rest I break something. Tore my right bicep off the bone two years ago and do not want a repeat. Surgery and rehab suck!!! I take my rest days.

Gym.Eat.Sleep

Awards
Wow...i heard it takes years to recover fully from something like that...i definitly dont want anything like that happening. Im gonna start taking at least one rest day a week

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow...i heard it takes years to recover fully from something like that...i definitly dont want anything like that happening. Im gonna start taking at least one rest day a week
Do it! I trained 7 days a week for about 2-3 years from 16/17-20... Ecen holidays I would run or lift what I could at home when gym was closed... After a while it just sucked I felt awful, had no progress, kept getting sick (and training through it) now at 23 years old.. I feel beat up, I have to push myself to make 4-5 days a week.. But I look better, I perform better too even though before I get to the gym, I dread it.. Yes I kno u shouldn't dread it.. I def have muscle dysmorphic disorder... I workout to avoid feeling bad, I look forward to my rest days more than my training days! Luckily I have come to terms with how it is and have scheduled rest week every 10-12 training weeks.. Just at 23 I shouldn't be so burned out.. But there is history of anorexia and supplement over use/abuse.. Smh, u live u learn right?

Gym.Eat.Sleep

Awards
I love going to the gym is my problem...i do take a week off evrry 3 months or so and im gonna start taking at least one rest day a week

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love going to the gym is my problem...i do take a week off evrry 3 months or so and im gonna start taking at least one rest day a week
I do love it too.. I'm just burnt out right now.. 2 rest days a week isn't cutting it for me to get mentally rested... But o well! Yea the rest
Day will make u feel like a million bucks..

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I train 4 days a week and love all my rest days and my lift days. If your not into it just switch it up man. If your loving it, keep at it.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
I always refer to rest day as "sh#t day" at home,
hate it, not only I can't eat anything ( i lower the cals on rest day, which ain't that high
to begin with..) but not working out I have all those hours in which if I don't keep myself
busy I get snacky and nervous and snacky and snacky and...
Hate it. I went from 5 days on to 6 because of that, I can stand 1 day off, not 2..

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always refer to rest day as "sh#t day" at home,
hate it, not only I can't eat anything ( i lower the cals on rest day, which ain't that high
to begin with..) but not working out I have all those hours in which if I don't keep myself
busy I get snacky and nervous and snacky and snacky and...
Hate it. I went from 5 days on to 6 because of that, I can stand 1 day off, not 2..
Used to be like that.. It sucked lol not worth it IMO anymore

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I just use the ex-rest day mid week to work whatever muscle group I feel like training,
no heavy weights, fast and light, chasing the burn, feels good, is a change, I can eat after lol
Lol good idea