Favorite Macros for a clean bulk... LETS HEAR EM!

  1. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Favorite Macros for a clean bulk... LETS HEAR EM!


    Hey AM Dudes!

    The other day I was tweaking my diet and began to think of all the times I adjusted my macros with no success... This got me thinking, everyone has a different "sweet spot" for gaining mass according to what works and what does not. I though I'd post this and see if everyone wanted to share their favorite/most effective Macro bulking makeup. As we all know every ones BMR is slightly different, so I think it would be cool for everyone to see what has worked for others when trying to add some clay to the sculpture.


    I used to think, want to get bigger? THEN EAT MORE PROTEIN! ...I was wrong... I have found that the most effective Macros for me on a bulk are as follows:


    As I am currently-


    6' 3"
    233lbs
    ~12-13% BF (this is during a bulk, but I won't allow my body to get any higher)


    For this I will run between 4500 and 5000 kcals with a Macros at 40%, 30%, 30%, for protein carbs and fat. Then the ONLY one I will adjust is carbs. If I'm not gaining enough, I just up my carbs. One trick (if you can call it a trick) is fruits. I will add in low GI fruits (peaches, cherries, grapefruit, oranges...) to increase carbs rather than trying to eat, what seems like, 50 cups of brown rice and a whole bag of yams every day. These low GI fruits are very nutrient dense and allow for quick, easy, and tasty carbs when bulking; and because they are low GI, no need to worry too much about the sugar. The only other rule I have is everything needs to be clean. Clean bulk = clean gains.
    I stick to red meat, salmon, and chicken for meats. Avocados, PB, whole eggs and olive oil for fats. Then brown and white rice, yams, Ezekiel bread, oats, and low GI fruits for carbs. I am also one who can tolerate dairy so I use skim milk in my shakes for the extra calories. With this I've found I can steadily add mass without too much of a rise in BF.


    This makeup combined with all the heavy compound movements and lots of rest is what works for me. (this took years to figure out)


    Feel free to chime in with your most effective bulking diets! I'm sure others on here would like to see some fresh ideas

  2. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Really? No one? That sucks. Diet is the most important part of any training regimen. It seems like all anyone one on here cares about is "hey! What should I take for my first cycle?" or "oh sh!t, I didn't do any research and I took something I know nothing about and I got gyno! PLEASE HELP!" ...just FYI, if you sucked before aas, you'll always suck.
  3. New Member
    MK9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%

    I'm actually experimenting with my diet 35\35\30 P C F, but noticed I got a bit too lean as I lift weights 3x's a week, and train bjj 2x's a week, so I have to up my carbs on training days.
    Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, so I will be looking at your layout and play around with that as well.

    I hear ya on the lack of responses etc, and found it funny that it is true people will often go to a pill to get big, but its food that actually feeds the muscles.
    My current training consists of bench press, military press, rows, squats, and deadlifts in the same workout, and a couple of accessory exercises if I choose to.
    •   
       

  4. Diamond Member
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335100
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    9.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
    I'm actually experimenting with my diet 35\35\30 P C F, but noticed I got a bit too lean as I lift weights 3x's a week, and train bjj 2x's a week, so I have to up my carbs on training days.
    Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, so I will be looking at your layout and play around with that as well.

    I hear ya on the lack of responses etc, and found it funny that it is true people will often go to a pill to get big, but its food that actually feeds the muscles.
    My current training consists of bench press, military press, rows, squats, and deadlifts in the same workout, and a couple of accessory exercises if I choose to.
    I like your workout!

    Sorry though as I have nothing to contribute... I have actually never bulked... Currently eat about a 30/20/50, protein, carbs, fat diet. Primal/paleo.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  5. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by MK9
    I'm actually experimenting with my diet 35\35\30 P C F, but noticed I got a bit too lean as I lift weights 3x's a week, and train bjj 2x's a week, so I have to up my carbs on training days.
    Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, so I will be looking at your layout and play around with that as well.

    I hear ya on the lack of responses etc, and found it funny that it is true people will often go to a pill to get big, but its food that actually feeds the muscles.
    My current training consists of bench press, military press, rows, squats, and deadlifts in the same workout, and a couple of accessory exercises if I choose to.
    Yeah it's all about adjusting carbs for me too. Not to say protein and fat are not important, but if I'm not glycogen loaded my workout sucks...
  6. Senior Member
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5918
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    40/30/30
  7. New Member
    MK9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%

    I tried a higher ratio of protein and fats for a period of 5 weeks, it wasn't exactly strict, but I did notice I got more defined. Some minor lethargy was experienced, and quickly solved by upping my carbs on non-training days.

    Do you think it makes sense to have 2 sets of macros? One for training and one for non-training? Or stick to the same macros but tweak them on training & non-training days.

    What kind of weight training are you doing?
  8. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by MK9
    I tried a higher ratio of protein and fats for a period of 5 weeks, it wasn't exactly strict, but I did notice I got more defined. Some minor lethargy was experienced, and quickly solved by upping my carbs on non-training days.

    Do you think it makes sense to have 2 sets of macros? One for training and one for non-training? Or stick to the same macros but tweak them on training & non-training days.

    What kind of weight training are you doing?
    Yeah I think it's very beneficial to adjust according to your training. On heavy days I always up my cals by upping my carbs, and then I stay a little lower on non training days as you do not need the excess cals. But I always stick to 40/30/30 then adjust my carbs. Regardless of the day my protein and fat stay static, so as I adjust my carbs the macros change slightly due to the rise or drop in carbs.
  9. New Member
    MK9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    355
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by mattrag View Post
    I like your workout!

    Sorry though as I have nothing to contribute... I have actually never bulked... Currently eat about a 30/20/50, protein, carbs, fat diet. Primal/paleo.
    I just bought the book on the Paleo Diet, and am wondering how you are liking it so far?
  10. Diamond Member
    mattrag's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,027
    Rep Power
    335100
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    9.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
    I just bought the book on the Paleo Diet, and am wondering how you are liking it so far?
    Hard to tell. But I like the whole theory behind it all. I like Robb Wolf's work on the Paleo diet a bit more than the actual paleo diet book. (You can see his site for more, he has a blog and a podcast. )

    As far as feel and perform, I am leaner than I have ever been, and holding a lot steadier as far as strength. I am on the LEAST amount of supps ever in my bodybuilding/lifting career and I feel the best. Cant complain.
    RecoverBro ELITE
  11. New Member
    Agent86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    42
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%

    Same results here with regards to the Paleo diet...I've never been leaner and felt so much better. Listening to Rob Wolf's Paleo podcasts for a few months now. I still use some raw goat milk post workout though but have pretty much booted most processed foods (grains, and legumes as well...) I initially lost a little strength in the beginning but I'm back to where I was pre-Paleo...
  12. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent86
    Same results here with regards to the Paleo diet...I've never been leaner and felt so much better. Listening to Rob Wolf's Paleo podcasts for a few months now. I still use some raw goat milk post workout though but have pretty much booted most processed foods (grains, and legumes as well...) I initially lost a little strength in the beginning but I'm back to where I was pre-Paleo...
    Can you send me a link to this podcast? I've never really given a Paleo diet much thought, but it seems to be growing in popularity within the bb and fitness community. My only fear would be that putting on mass could be difficult.
  13. New Member
    Agent86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  152 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    42
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    0.33%

    From the iTunes store, its called "The Paleo Solution". Start with episode 1 though (there are 96 now)...Just a warning, the audio quality during the first 8 I believe was pretty tough to get through before they got better microphones...they're actually pretty easy to listen to as well...
  14. Banned
    kc777's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent86
    From the iTunes store, its called "The Paleo Solution". Start with episode 1 though (there are 96 now)...Just a warning, the audio quality during the first 8 I believe was pretty tough to get through before they got better microphones...they're actually pretty easy to listen to as well...
    Well at least now I'll have something to do this winter! Lol. Thanks man
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. LETS HEAR YOUR PRE-CYCLE RITUALS
    By lyfespan in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
  2. Macros to a clean Bulk?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in