Trying to gain, Stuck at weight

Mick59

Awards
My issue is that for the past 4 months I have been stuck at my weight and cant seem to gain anymore? Hoping to figure out if I am doing something wrong with my diet, supplements, and workout plan if anyone can help with some constructive criticism.

I’m 37, 5’ 10”, 182lbs @ 11% body fat. Been working out for many years. In the past solid year I have been researching and trying to dial it in as much as I can to bulk\gain. My goal is to get to 195lbs and lower body fat as much as possible also.

Current Workout is:
Mon – Upper
Tues – Lower
Wed – 30 min cardio
Thur – Upper
Fri – Lower
Sat or Sun 30 min cardio

Diet Plan:
4 meals daily
PROTEIN: 262
CARBS: 280
FAT: 32
CALORIES: 3000-3300
4 Protein Shakes daily (3 between meals, 1 casein bedtime)

Supplements:
Rx Test @ 250ml a week
Multi-Vitamin (daily)
2 - BCAA 1000mg (pre-workout)
Glutamine (teaspoon post workout, teaspoon with bedtime shake)
Fish Oil (morning and night)
Flaxseed (night)

Any help is appreciated

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
I am not thoroughly understanding your question here.... What exactly is it? If your weight has stagnated bro then don't make this harder than it is, just add 500 cals to your diet and see how that works for you. Add some more carbohydrates and healthy fats in your diet, possibly cut 2 of those shakes out and add some real protein sources like 8 ounces of fish, beef, chicken or shrimp. I Have 2 shakes daily and hate getting protein from them, but with my internship & my job plus classed it's all I can do. With that said I eat 5 other meals with all real protein sources like the ones I listed. Shakes are okay at best remember that :34:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your fats are way, way too low. They should be closer to 100g a day.

Mick59

Awards
I am not thoroughly understanding your question here.... What exactly is it? If your weight has stagnated bro then don't make this harder than it is, just add 500 cals to your diet and see how that works for you. Add some more carbohydrates and healthy fats in your diet, possibly cut 2 of those shakes out and add some real protein sources like 8 ounces of fish, beef, chicken or shrimp. I Have 2 shakes daily and hate getting protein from them, but with my internship & my job plus classed it's all I can do. With that said I eat 5 other meals with all real protein sources like the ones I listed. Shakes are okay at best remember that :34:
My question was I posted what I am doing now to see if I am doing anything wrong in trying to meet my goal.
I'll try swapping out a shake for a meal and add more fat like Rodja said.

I'm off creatine now, going to start another cycle in a few weeks. At least from what I've read says cycle on 12 weeks (max) then off for 4-6 weeks.

If there's anything else someone can think of please let me know.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
There's no reason to cycle off creatine after 12 weeks...

Mick59

Awards
There's no reason to cycle off creatine after 12 weeks...
guess that goes along with "dont believe everything you read" lol. I have seen several articles that say cycle on and off creatine.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
less shaky, moar food

eat moar /thread

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
As stated above, you need to add more cals and fats to your diet to gain. If you're stuck, it's because you're not doing enough to grow. Your stats are near mine and I have to slam down tons of cals to actually maintain my weight. I hate it 'cause it gets expensive eating so much! Seriously. I'm naturally a 170-175lbs guy on a med frame so an extra 500-1000 for me per day just to maintain since I burn so many cals through excercise. And since you're older and have been training for some time, you may want to have a look at the PH/DS/AAS route if you've hit your natural potential.

But, I think extra cals and a revamp of your training routine/style should be a big consideration for you. If you're not squatting and deadlifting, start. You'd be amazed at what two simple compound movements can do to your musculature. It will give you that thickness and density that is so lacking in the younger lifters these days. I'm also a big proponent in heavy rows and weighted chins. That'll also help tremendously with your overall musculature. Good luck bro!

Mick59

Awards
less shaky, moar food
eat moar /thread
lol, will do

As stated above, you need to add more cals and fats to your diet to gain. If you're stuck, it's because you're not doing enough to grow. Your stats are near mine and I have to slam down tons of cals to actually maintain my weight. I hate it 'cause it gets expensive eating so much! Seriously. I'm naturally a 170-175lbs guy on a med frame so an extra 500-1000 for me per day just to maintain since I burn so many cals through excercise. And since you're older and have been training for some time, you may want to have a look at the PH/DS/AAS route if you've hit your natural potential.

But, I think extra cals and a revamp of your training routine/style should be a big consideration for you. If you're not squatting and deadlifting, start. You'd be amazed at what two simple compound movements can do to your musculature. It will give you that thickness and density that is so lacking in the younger lifters these days. I'm also a big proponent in heavy rows and weighted chins. That'll also help tremendously with your overall musculature. Good luck bro!
I do leg press, deadlifts, and squats twice a week on my lower days.
Being 37 the only thing I worry about is eating too much and not burning enough in result getting a fat gut. But I do work pretty hard in the gym so hopefully it won’t be an issue and want to keep body fat % low.

Thanks for the help

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Being 37 the only thing I worry about is eating too much and not burning enough in result getting a fat gut. But I do work pretty hard in the gym so hopefully it won’t be an issue and want to keep body fat % low.
that is usually the most common thing I hear in someone who says they can't gain - I'm eating a lot, but I don't want to lose my abs... You just have to gain slowly, .5lb a week or less even. So its hard to see as much difference on a scale or in the mirror, but at gaining .25-.5lbs a week you can do it with minimal fat gain. it just requires tight dietary control.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i vote for upping carbs n protein. more meals

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in the winter, dont worry about abs. your not gonna get fat, just bloated. then as spring approaches, shed the fat and look under the hood at what engine you just built. just dont eat crap foods and u wont get fat. by crap i mean burgers, pizza...etc

eat carbs, but the carbs u are supposed to eat like pasta, oats, sweet potatoes.
also eat more almonds, nuts...etc

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Up your everything buy esp your fats. Just eating fats doesnt mean you are going to get fat. You could eat 8k calories a day with 30g fat and youll gain fat. unused nutriets of all types convert into fat as well as fats. I would say try to get a little more focuses on body parts, instead of just upper and lower. work on your development in weak areas, so you can excell more in your other lifts, and in return gain more muscle. You may be holding yourself back and not even know it. Switch up your workout routine if you have been on the same one for a long time. Sometimes it just takes time for your body to slow down. Another very important thing, is to make sure your getting your sleep.

I fought with my own body for a long long time trying to slow my metab back down, I was eating 6k cals plus a day and still losing weight. Problem was I was lighter than ever, and I just had to keep eating right and working hard, eventually my body reached homeostatis and everything leveled out naturally, and I began gaining good lean weight steadily, and I actually got my abs coming back in without any hard cardio work. This game is all about time and patience, hard work and dedication, and most of all changing all the factors you can based on feedback from YOUR body. The internet can tell you alot, but when it comes down to it you need to use your brain and think.

Goodluck brother.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to your shakes as a way to increase fat and calorie intake. It also tastes good.

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
Just a note R1balla...you can definitely get fat on clean food. If you're eating too much excess calories you'll start gaining fat no matter what you're eating. Best way is to track your calories and macros adjusting as needed...if you stay in a slight excess, like 500 cals, you shouldn't gain too much fat, but yes you'll probably be bloated with water from carbs

wannabelarge

wannabelarge

Awards
2 handfuls of cashews a day will get you about 30 more grams of fat and about 300 more cals.. and they are delicious.. but i wouldn't stop there.. i'd also add in a couple tsp of flax oil.. that'll give you about the same as far as caloric boost.. you need more fat.. u need more food

as stated before.. screw all the protein shakes.. get some real food in your diet

and ps.. 90% of ppl that fear losing their abs will never gain any quality mass..not saying u cant get big w/o getting fat. .it's just damn tough

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
only drink 1 shake/day. replace your shakes with real quality food. eat more, increase cals, increase carbs. simple. idk why people have a hard time gaining weight. simply eat more.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Good call. Tonight I ate chicken and oatmeal. I will eat 2 meals of chicken and pasta tomorrow, and chicken and oats once. Cottage cheese once before bed. Etc. Get after it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a note R1balla...you can definitely get fat on clean food. If you're eating too much excess calories you'll start gaining fat no matter what you're eating. Best way is to track your calories and macros adjusting as needed...if you stay in a slight excess, like 500 cals, you shouldn't gain too much fat, but yes you'll probably be bloated with water from carbs
try telling my body that. i can eat what i want and i wont get over 12% BF. When i eat very very clean, i can get down to 4-5%, but i have only done that once because i hate being that lean. i like staying around 8%

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
try telling my body that. i can eat what i want and i wont get over 12% BF. When i eat very very clean, i can get down to 4-5%, but i have only done that once because i hate being that lean. i like staying around 8%
Then howcome you arent 230 pounds at 12% yet?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course, this begs the question of what constitutes "clean." Your clean and my clean can be worlds apart.

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
R1...simple, you weren't eating too much of an excess. Doesn't matter who you are, if youre eating too big of a caloric excess you will gain fat no matter what food you eat.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
My issue is that for the past 4 months I have been stuck at my weight and cant seem to gain anymore? Hoping to figure out if I am doing something wrong with my diet, supplements, and workout plan if anyone can help with some constructive criticism.

I’m 37, 5’ 10”, 182lbs @ 11% body fat. Been working out for many years. In the past solid year I have been researching and trying to dial it in as much as I can to bulk\gain. My goal is to get to 195lbs and lower body fat as much as possible also.

Current Workout is:
Mon – Upper
Tues – Lower
Wed – 30 min cardio
Thur – Upper
Fri – Lower
Sat or Sun 30 min cardio

Diet Plan:
4 meals daily
PROTEIN: 262
CARBS: 280
FAT: 32
CALORIES: 3000-3300
4 Protein Shakes daily (3 between meals, 1 casein bedtime)

Supplements:
Rx Test @ 250ml a week
Multi-Vitamin (daily)
2 - BCAA 1000mg (pre-workout)
Glutamine (teaspoon post workout, teaspoon with bedtime shake)
Fish Oil (morning and night)
Flaxseed (night)

Any help is appreciated
^^ Pretty simple. You need more fat in your diet...Way too low. You can't gain without that. Eating "lean" will keep you "lean"

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
Agree^
I never saw those numbers...your protein is fine, even a bit excessive. Carbs are lacking and fat is definitely lacking. I'd double the fat at the least